Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 11:12 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,586,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Our educational system, which is a virtual monopoly, stinks. Untill the union stanglehold is broken, things will not improve.
Yeah the college system in america really is a joke. Can't believe people even pay money for that. I know a college graduate in Germany. He spent one semester at the University of Wisconsin. He said there Bachelor degrees compare with Americas Master Degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 11:12 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
They do in most European countries. Why can't they in America?
Because our poor arent even close to poor by European standards.

Our disposable income is far greater, did you even watch the video posted?

Old 01-01-2012, 11:13 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Yep. America is big and strong!!!! USA!!!! USA!!!! Who cares that those euros have a better quality of live, we have the most billionaires!!!! USA!!! USA!!!
...and the exponential overbreeding of the welfare-dependent class helps how?

Old 01-01-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Yeah the college system in america really is a joke. Can't believe people even pay money for that. I know a college graduate in Germany. He spent one semester at the University of Wisconsin. He said there Bachelor degrees compare with Americas Master Degrees.
And yet we are unindated with foreigners who come here for their education.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Because our poor arent even close to poor by European standards.
You are right they are dirt poor compared to European standards. I don't watch right wing propaganda.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:15 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Nope. That would be you.
You need to put your crackpipe down. Ya had enough.

Us people that live in the real world understand that if ya don't mind working the USA is the place to be. If ya prefer sitting on your ass and living off the wealth and labor of others Europe has a superior environment. I prefer the good ole USA.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:16 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
When I lived in Sweden (early 1990s), I was impressed by the work/life balance of the Swedes. They seemed to work hard, but everyone took a 6 week vacation every year, usually to the Mediterranean or SE Asia or America. They also had wonderfully appointed homes. Not McMansions like us, but compact, clean, well furnished and pleasing places. They also seemed to take time off for family leave and fitness (obesity was much, much rarer), while being highly productive overall. Maybe it is germanic efficiency, but I was impressed by the whole package.

Here, we seem less balanced. People are either working all the time, and in poor health, or overconsuming relative to their incomes, overspending on school, etc. Not taking vacations, or splurging on bit debt-fueled trips. I am not really sure if the middle class Swedes earned more, or were just more efficient in their life choice, or whether the system helped them somehow.
They prize their middle class while we've decided to turn against ours. Sad thing is, the middle class in this country is the class that is doing it. Eating themselves. It's an astounding development...i've never seen another country do this to themselves. Working people supporting rampant, unfettered, runaway corporatism and cheering the demise of the middle class.

It's astounding. I can't wrap my mind around it.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And yet we are unindated with foreigners who come here for their education.
Yes from the 3rd world. I'm not talking about Harvard and Princeton. I'm talking about the average colleges. But a lot of Europeans come here for one semester for the cultural experience though. A lot of Foreigner come to European Universities as well by the way.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
You are right they are dirt poor compared to European standards. I don't watch right wing propaganda.
No, you get your evidence from someone you once knew who spent one semester at a college

Old 01-01-2012, 11:18 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
They prize their middle class while we've decided to turn against ours.
How so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies