Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 02:10 PM

31,003 posts, read 22,045,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post

You know something, I've met more people in NEW YORK who weren't for interacial relations. I've met more people there who were more backwards than ANYONE I've met my entire life in the south.

Stop putting us all into one category. The South isn't perfect, but what the hell makes you think every other place on this planet is better?
I would have to agree with some of this, but New York is a big place and some areas are completely accepting.

Ive always dated Black and White women and there are some places where I would not be comfortable going out with a Black woman because of hostility. Detroit would be up there on the list. DC, our beloved progressive capitol would be another place that there is a racial pecking order. Many places its been accepted for black men to date white women but not the other way around. Mostly on the East coast, its a more outward type of hosility than in the south. On the West coast where I live I don't even have to think about it: SD, LA, Seattle, LV, Phoenix, people barely bat and eye. Sometimes we'll get a curiosity glance but after that nada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 02:15 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Quote:

You know something, I've met more people in NEW YORK who weren't for interacial relations. I've met more people there who were more backwards than ANYONE I've met my entire life in the south.

Stop putting us all into one category. The South isn't perfect, but what the hell makes you think every other place on this planet is better?

They just show how ignorant they are. And we have a few of them on these threads.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:17 PM

28 posts, read 42,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
They just show how ignorant they are. And we have a few of them on these threads.
Hello all,

I am sorry if my post offended any of you. I am actually from the South myself (not the Deep South though) so I didn't intend to rub anyone the wrong way.

I am a Sociology student and this poll and story really intrigued me purely from an academic standpoint. I'm a bit too intellectually curious at times I suppose.

The poll says that 46% of these people believe interracial marriages should be illegal and therefore punishable by law.

My reason for this post was to find out if interracial marriages between non-whites would be controversial and offensive to the voters in this poll. I don't really care about why these people are racist or why they believe people should be thrown in jail for marrying outside their racial groups.

I only had one question behind this post: Are the Republicans in this poll opposed to interracial marriages of ALL types or only the ones between whites and non-whites?

Old 01-03-2012, 06:31 PM

28 posts, read 42,736 times
Quote:

You are absolutely right JJG. I am actually from the South myself and interracial dating was not a big deal where I grew up (however, I'm only 22 so I don't know what it was like for the older folks).

I think the reason this poll sticks out like a sore thumb is because almost half of these voters actually believe that interracial marriages should be illegal in the United States. I must admit I have never met or heard of anyone (black or white) who supported throwing people in jail just for marrying outside of their "race."

Anywhere you go, you will find groups of people who are opposed to almost anything (I have a college buddy who believes that tall people and short people shouldn't date because it looks funny; seriously lol) but it's very rare that you find people who actually want laws against such things (besides gay marriage opponents).

That's why this poll seems very strange. I expected many people to oppose interracial marriages even in 2011/2012 (every system and institution that exists will always have at least a few opponents lol) But wanting to completely outlaw it? That does come off as a bit of shock.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:41 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Libertarian View Post
You are absolutely right JJG. I am actually from the South myself and interracial dating was not a big deal where I grew up (however, I'm only 22 so I don't know what it was like for the older folks).

I think the reason this poll sticks out like a sore thumb is because almost half of these voters actually believe that interracial marriages should be illegal in the United States. I must admit I have never met or heard of anyone (black or white) who supported throwing people in jail just for marrying outside of their "race."

Anywhere you go, you will find groups of people who are opposed to almost anything (I have a college buddy who believes that tall people and short people shouldn't date because it looks funny; seriously lol) but it's very rare that you find people who actually want laws against such things (besides gay marriage opponents).

That's why this poll seems very strange. I expected many people to oppose interracial marriages even in 2011/2012 (every system and institution that exists will always have at least a few opponents lol) But wanting to completely outlaw it? That does come off as a bit of shock.
I'm 23, and growing up in a family who mostly came up through rural southeast Texas, I can get a picture.

I'm not offended at you.... just the idiots who seem to think that anything below the Mason/Dixon Line is a cancer, or uneducated, or backwards. I just hate stereotypes. And sure, Mississippi may not be the best example and it may live up to a handful of those stereotypes, but it's not COMPLETELY filled with people like that. Mississippi is actually one of the two states in this country I don't like, but even I think it's b.s. when people think it's just all KKK members and backwoods, toothless idiots.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:10 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Please don't put out ignorant remarks and assign them to Black People.

As a race, the majority of us don't have the prejudice and hang ups associated with inter racial relationships that Many whites have.

Weren't you screaming about "people sticking with their own kind" in a similiar thread???
Google is your friend.
Your just generalizing. Are you male?
I see all over the web how black women are overlooked for marriage. 70% are single.
A lot of black women,and some black men like Spike disprove of it.
So it isn't just whites.
A very large number of hispanics and Asian also disprove.

Btw,if you aren't white,how would you know that whites have hang ups about it?
Generalizing.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I find that very hard to believe and I have lived in a different part of the "South Lite" my whole life.
I believe this. When I was in the south I saw plenty of IR couples.
The thing is that I saw more bw/wm couples than the opposite.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:15 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,223 times
I didn't see any posts that said interracial marriage should be punishable by law.

How did you come up with 46%?

Quote:
The poll says that 46% of these people believe interracial marriages should be illegal and therefore punishable by law.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Imagine a state filled with far-left liberals who love and enjoy racial diversity. Imagine that the majority of voters in this state believe that people should ONLY marry people OUTSIDE of their racial or ethnic groups. That means white people cannot marry other white people and blacks cannot marry other blacks. Should this state be allowed to pass a law that says people cannot marry people within their own racial group? Would you be OK with that since you believe state governments should have the authority to tell grown adults who they can or cannot marry?
Its actually sarcasm when I wrote that post,because your username has libertarian in it.
I'm actually surprised that you think as above being a libertarian. They strongly support states rights.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
It's so sad that people are so damn ignorant in this country that they would support a law against interracial marriage. Beyond pathetic. Deplorable. Sickening.
Right. But at the same time many people think its okay to ban marriage against gays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies