Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 04:18 PM

28 posts, read 42,736 times

Advertisements

I was reading an article today about how 46% of Republican voters in Mississippi believe that interracial marriages should still be illegal in the United States.

Here's a link to the story: 46 Percent of Mississippi Republicans Want Interracial Marriage Banned

I'm assuming that these voters are mostly opposed to interracial marriages between whites and non-whites. I know that most people in Mississippi are either white or black and that a lot of these voters are probably thinking of white-black relationships when they hear of interracial marriages.

My question is this: How do these people feel about interracial marriages in which neither spouse is white? For instance, would it be controversial for a black man to marry a Asian woman in conservative Mississippian circles? How about a black woman marrying a Mexican man? In other words, would these same voters support a law that prohibits non-whites from marrying other non-white people who are not in their same racial group?

I am asking this question out of pure curiosity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 04:20 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times
I highly doubt that your average racist white guy from Mississippi gives a flying **** about two non whites getting married.

Last edited by rw47; 01-01-2012 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: wrong state

Old 01-01-2012, 04:21 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
I don't even want to know what they think. I just stay away from places like Mississippi.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:48 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
I'm a (not so proud) Texan in an interracial relationship, and I've never noticed any dirty looks when my girlfriend and I are out on the town.

But she's hispanic. I honestly think I WOULD'VE noticed some disapproval if she was black. Sad to say, that's just how a lot of people in the South are, especially in small towns. It's a matter of underrepresentation. Most people in general are fill in the blank, somethin negative. But blacks are noticed far more easily than whites and hispanics in the South because they are so few by comparison. So they stand out, whites switch on their judgmental lenses with them more quickly, they see that most blacks are ignorant (again, because most PEOPLE are!), and infer what they will from that observation. And it's not just whites; I've heard a number of hispanics perpetuate the same ridiculous stereotypes.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:53 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,527,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I'm a (not so proud) Texan in an interracial relationship, and I've never noticed any dirty looks when my girlfriend and I are out on the town.

But she's hispanic. I honestly think I WOULD'VE noticed some disapproval if she was black. Sad to say, that's just how a lot of people in the South are, especially in small towns. It's a matter of underrepresentation. Most people in general are fill in the blank, somethin negative. But blacks are noticed far more easily than whites and hispanics in the South because they are so few by comparison. So they stand out, whites switch on their judgmental lenses with them more quickly, they see that most blacks are ignorant (again, because most PEOPLE are!), and infer what they will from that observation. And it's not just whites; I've heard a number of hispanics perpetuate the same ridiculous stereotypes.
I'm a "proud" Native Texan with a son-inlaw that I have a very close relationship with. He often calls me "mom," and I call him "son." Though we're Cherokee for the most part I look caucasian at a glance, and he is very dark. It's not been a problem with any of my family, friends or associates in Texas, or anywhere. Oh, we've encountered a couple of glances that were sudden and not our imagination, but could not care less.

I've never been to Mississippi and if this poll is based in reality then I think I best not go. I'm likely to speak up bluntly to anyone that makes their racist hangup known, to me, and rightly so, hence I doubt I'll ever set foot in that state.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:55 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
My wife and i traveled through Mississippi more than a few times to visit my relatives in the Delta. You get the looks from both sides, although the black folks do it more out of curiousity than anything else. White folks are just shocked.

That said, it's a backwards state...and socially, it's hardly better than it was when my dad was living there as a small boy. I fully understand why he hates the place, and calls it the "Murder State." Still, most people are friendly even if they disapprove, and they'll treat you fair. You can't ask for more than that.

If you hate interracial marriage, or disapprove of it, i don't care. Just don't tell me about it and keep it to yourself in my presence (unless i ask you about it...which i won't). I don't want to know your opinions on my or anyone else's relationship. Go tell someone that cares.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:00 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
I'm a "proud" Native Texan with a son-inlaw that I have a very close relationship with. He often calls me "mom," and I call him "son." Though we're Cherokee for the most part I look caucasian at a glance, and he is very dark. It's not been a problem with any of my family, friends or associates in Texas, or anywhere. Oh, we've encountered a couple of glances that were sudden and not our imagination, but could not care less.

I've never been to Mississippi and if this poll is based in reality then I think I best not go. I'm likely to speak up bluntly to anyone that makes their racist hangup known, to me, and rightly so, hence I doubt I'll ever set foot in that state.
Texas is nothing like Mississippi. This is an idea that the anti-Texas crowd loves to have, but it's very removed from reality.

Vic, I've never seen any bigotry towards blacks in TX from people born after about 1935. I've lived in two places in Texas - a large metropolitan area and a smaller city in West Texas. I've never lived in rural East Texas and haven't spent much time there at all; my opinion might be different if I had but I still think it would be nothing like MS.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 01-01-2012 at 05:31 PM..

Old 01-01-2012, 05:06 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,527,793 times
Texas is nothing like Mississippi. This is an idea that the anti-Texas crowd loves to have, but it's very removed from reality."

Blows my mind that there even exists an "anti-Texas crowd" here.
Well, I remain a truly proud, Native Texan but I even say "proud" with reservation meaning that some types of pride are clearly a sin.

Is this poll reality? about Mississippi? that, too blows my mind, if so. I mean, some folks could make up polls just as some polls are so slanted in their wording that almost any answer could be guaranteed, with them.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:11 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Texas is nothing like Mississippi. This is an idea that the anti-Texas crowd loves to have, but it's very removed from reality.
Hey! I consider myself anti-Texan, and I don't assert that Texas is as bad as Mississippi. But you don't have to be the worst to be... pretty gosh darn bad

Old 01-01-2012, 05:15 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Hey! I consider myself anti-Texan, and I don't assert that Texas is as bad as Mississippi. But you don't have to be the worst to be... pretty gosh darn bad
Our governor is not helping our image.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies