Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2012, 06:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
If you are not succeeding, it isn't because a couple of old guys you've read about are keeping you from your bliss. It's because you are sitting at your keyboard whining, and not getting out there and preparing yourself for responsibility, and arming yourself with the skills you need to make it in today's job market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 05:31 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
I'm just curious what the OP would think when he realizes that there are actually people like myself (who falls at the very tail of the boomers) who will have NO CHOICE but to remain working past age 67. I'm not even 50 yet and every time I turn around talk of once again raising the age for SS is being put on the table. If in fact there is SS still around by the time I turn old enough to qualify I'm sure it'll be 70 for me at minimum.

Hubby and I when in our 20's always talked of retiring at 55.. that then became 62... then 65...now 67... the hard cold truth is.. we will probably never get to "truly" retire... Hubby works a minimum of 60 hours a week, and all he hears on a daily basis is the younger generation whining about how much they don't want overtime, how many days off they can have for this or that, how it's not fair that their paying SS in when they won't get it... whaa, whaa, whaa. To those whiners... let's see how you feel when you've got 30+ years of hard work and toil into it, and then being told... oops... to bad... keep on working a few more years...

Old 02-20-2012, 06:16 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
I'm just curious what the OP would think when he realizes that there are actually people like myself (who falls at the very tail of the boomers) who will have NO CHOICE but to remain working past age 67.

... the hard cold truth is.. we will probably never get to "truly" retire... Hubby works a minimum of 60 hours a week, and all he hears on a daily basis is the younger generation whining about how much they don't want overtime, how many days off they can have for this or that, how it's not fair that their paying SS in when they won't get it... whaa, whaa, whaa. To those whiners... let's see how you feel when you've got 30+ years of hard work and toil into it, and then being told... oops... to bad... keep on working a few more years...
We were not so much different, and then we woke to our realizations. I just hope they wake sooner than we did -- while they can still change things.

I recall the S & L scandal in the Reagan years and how so many lost their retirement savings. Their golden years were stripped from them, and I just thought: "so they have to keep working, so what?" I was so callous. Now, at 55, I know how challenging it is to keep one's job, let alone get another, when we face the competition of a younger face, who is eager to get a smaller paycheck, not having the same costs and not yet understanding life's true costs over time.

Most do not understand the plight of the majority of seniors. Bag ladies are a source of humor to those that don't understand those are someone's grandmother, not an aging drunk but a frail woman left to diminishing resources with no one to turn to in her time of need.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:31 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Quote:
Most do not understand the plight of the majority of seniors. Bag ladies are a source of humor to those that don't understand those are someone's grandmother, not an aging drunk but a frail woman left to diminishing resources with no one to turn to in her time of need.
And the sad thing is, that grandmother probably sacrificed her whole life to raise her children and grandchildren, and taught them to work hard and have responsibility for themselves, to donate to charity and help others. It's those who have had their hands out or who don't know how to sacrifice for others who usually complain the loudest.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:42 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Wow, how have I missed this thread? LOL

What amuses me most is the OP's and others' bellyaching about a 67-year-old man working too long, while concurrently bellyaching about boomers and how much they're going to bankrupt Social Security.

Anyone else see the amusement factor in that?
Quite funny. If you are 67 and healthy and want to work they complain that you are taking their job, if you retire they claim you are greedy for wanting benefit you payed into for 40 years

Old 02-20-2012, 08:35 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
We were not so much different, and then we woke to our realizations. I just hope they wake sooner than we did -- while they can still change things.

I recall the S & L scandal in the Reagan years and how so many lost their retirement savings. Their golden years were stripped from them, and I just thought: "so they have to keep working, so what?" I was so callous. Now, at 55, I know how challenging it is to keep one's job, let alone get another, when we face the competition of a younger face, who is eager to get a smaller paycheck, not having the same costs and not yet understanding life's true costs over time.

^^this.

I cant wait till Generation Z comprehends medical costs in the U.S. They are in for quite a surprise.

OP's handle is appropriate. He wants Medicare cut, but currently lives with his parents in NYC.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:07 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Rant over, thanks for listening.
Hey, no problem!

Although I think it should be pointed out that people in the 1920s were probably complaining about people born in the 1880s, and so on and so forth. Every generation seems to have a problem either with what came before, or what has come since. In another few years, you'll hear people screeching about people born in the 1970s.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:24 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Quite funny. If you are 67 and healthy and want to work they complain that you are taking their job, if you retire they claim you are greedy for wanting benefit you payed into for 40 years
People have difficulty understanding what they haven't experienced themselves. Give them time. They will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I cant wait till Generation Z comprehends medical costs in the U.S. They are in for quite a surprise.
I hope President Obama's Health Care Reforms make it possible that they will never know. It is time that everyone have access to affordable health care.

Quote:
And the sad thing is, that grandmother probably sacrificed her whole life to raise her children and grandchildren, and taught them to work hard and have responsibility for themselves, to donate to charity and help others. It's those who have had their hands out or who don't know how to sacrifice for others who usually complain the loudest.
Sadly, I would suppose (who can really know from outside) that she did not teach her young to have compassion, or her lessons fell on deaf ears.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:36 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Today it was a 67 year old electrical union worker who has 40 years worth of pension and already collects SS. He's still on the job. Why? Does he need the money?
I had an Uncle that was a millionaire many times over and was still driving a truck at the age of 82 years old, he had a minor stroke and was back to work in a few months even though he could no longer drive. He continued to work up until a few weeks before he died, he most likely would have died at much younger age if he didn't work. It wasn't greed nor was it boredom, it's just what he liked to do.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:44 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Those older women living on the streets are also assaulted and raped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies