Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 11:41 AM

30,873 posts, read 36,804,277 times

Advertisements

This is the best editorial on class warfare that I've read.

This paragraph sums it up best:

A proper class war would require Democrats and Republicans to admit that the distinguishing characteristic of the enemy is not the level of income or wealth; rather, it is whether that income or wealth was earned. The true heroes in our economy are the producers and earners; they can be found all the way up and down the income ladder, and class warfare should defend and reward them instead of targeting them. Conversely, the proper targets are the class that includes cheaters, predators, pirates, and parasites—who can also be found at all income levels.

The Class Warfare We Need — The American Magazine

Thoughts? Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 04:06 PM

20,591 posts, read 19,254,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

A proper class war would require Democrats and Republicans to admit that the distinguishing characteristic of the enemy is not the level of income or wealth; rather, it is whether that income or wealth was earned. The true heroes in our economy are the producers and earners; they can be found all the way up and down the income ladder, and class warfare should defend and reward them instead of targeting them. Conversely, the proper targets are the class that includes cheaters, predators, pirates, and parasites—who can also be found at all income levels.

Thoughts? Comments?

That concept was well known through out history. There are producers and there are rent seekers.

§5. Before leaving the subject of Equality of Taxation, I must remark that there are cases in which exceptions may be made to it, consistently with that equal justice which is the groundwork of the rule. Suppose that there is a kind of income which constantly tends to increase, without any exertion or sacrifice on the part of the owners: those owners constituting a class in the community, whom the natural course of things progressively enriches, consistently with complete passiveness on their own part. In such a case it would be no violation of the principles on which private property is grounded, if the state should appropriate this increase of wealth, or part of it, as it arises. This would not properly be taking anything from anybody; it would merely be applying an accession of wealth, created by circumstances, to the benefit of society, instead of allowing it to become an unearned appendage to the riches of a particular class.

Now this is actually the case with rent. The ordinary progress of a society which increases in wealth, is at all times tending to augment the incomes of landlords; to give them both a greater amount and a greater proportion of the wealth of the community, independently of any trouble or outlay incurred by themselves. They grow richer, as it were in their sleep, without working, risking, or economizing.
Mill, Principles of Political Economy, Book V, Chapter II | Library of Economics and Liberty

A rent seeker always wants to hide behind a capitalist, and they have been very successful at doing so.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:14 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,613,012 times
Quote:

Thoughts? Comments?

i didn't read the article, but i agree very strongly with your summary.

Continually pointing this out would help clarify the debate, since the goal of so many people is to deliberately distort it.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:18 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,800,857 times
Quote:

Thoughts? Comments?
Wouldn't it be good if that were the way the war is waged?

Old 01-03-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
That concept was well known through out history. There are producers and there are rent seekers.
§5. Before leaving the subject of Equality of Taxation, I must remark that there are cases in which exceptions may be made to it, consistently with that equal justice which is the groundwork of the rule. Suppose that there is a kind of income which constantly tends to increase, without any exertion or sacrifice on the part of the owners: those owners constituting a class in the community, whom the natural course of things progressively enriches, consistently with complete passiveness on their own part. In such a case it would be no violation of the principles on which private property is grounded, if the state should appropriate this increase of wealth, or part of it, as it arises. This would not properly be taking anything from anybody; it would merely be applying an accession of wealth, created by circumstances, to the benefit of society, instead of allowing it to become an unearned appendage to the riches of a particular class.

Now this is actually the case with rent. The ordinary progress of a society which increases in wealth, is at all times tending to augment the incomes of landlords; to give them both a greater amount and a greater proportion of the wealth of the community, independently of any trouble or outlay incurred by themselves. They grow richer, as it were in their sleep, without working, risking, or economizing.
Mill, Principles of Political Economy, Book V, Chapter II | Library of Economics and Liberty

A rent seeker always wants to hide behind a capitalist, and they have been very successful at doing so.
Your example only pointed out examples of folks living off rents/compound interest. But it didn't point out other kinds of rent seekers, such as civil servants with overly generous pension (I'm one of these), welfare recipients, social security recipients who take more in benefits than they've paid in (which is most people), politically connected businesses, etc. He gives examples if you read the whole link.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post

Continually pointing this out would help clarify the debate, since the goal of so many people is to deliberately distort it.
Actually, it's not my summary, but the summary of the guy who wrote the piece, Steve Conover.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post

Agreed. I plan on pointing this out in future debates, now that it's clear in my own mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies