Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 08:31 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Watch out everyone, we have a real bada** on our hands. Did you not hear anything I said? Can you discuss the content of what I said instead of posting stupid threats about you carrying a gun? There ARE reasons why 97% of the stories you read claim to be pit bull attacks, and I have explained them all. Now either respond to the content of what I said or let the adults have a conversation.

Someone like you being allowed to carry a gun is far more dangerous than any dog could be.
"Someone like me"? Somehow you're able to size up my entire character from two posts, without knowing anything about me? I haven't been insulting towards you, so I'm going to ask for the same civility.

Now, what point haven't I addressed? You yourself said that many pit bull owners are incredibly irresponsible, and that is largely the cause for these dogs having a reputation as brutal killing machines.

I'm not calling for a ban of PBs; just a crack down on the types of people that are allowed to own them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 08:42 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
"They were just going after the man like he was a piece of steak," Stanley Lee, who swung a baseball bat at the dogs in hopes to free the jogger, told MyFoxChicago.com. He went on to say the dogs went for the jogger's throat, face and arms, and called the attack was the worst thing he's ever seen.

Read more: Chicago Jogger Critically Injured By Pit Bulls | Fox News

Geeez. I'm not a big fan of regulations; but I think these dogs need to be registered like guns.
I tried to find a link but maybe 15 years or so ago a nurse in Chicago was killed by dogs while out jogging. I don't remember the type. I think it happened on the west side somewhere. I'm pretty sure it pre-dates the list below.

(Going off of memory so might not have facts 100% accurate)

List of fatal dog attacks in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

P.S. Please note that the list does show dog breed and there are a lot of Pit bulls but also rottweilers....but note there are also terriers, huskies, bull-dogs, weimeraners, daschunds etc.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:04 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,060 times
Quote:
Watch out everyone, we have a real bada** on our hands. Did you not hear anything I said? Can you discuss the content of what I said instead of posting stupid threats about you carrying a gun? There ARE reasons why 97% of the stories you read claim to be pit bull attacks, and I have explained them all. Now either respond to the content of what I said or let the adults have a conversation.

Someone like you being allowed to carry a gun is far more dangerous than any dog could be.
About 7 years ago 2 pits were loose in my neighborhood, running around growling and snarling at everyone, as if on the prowl looking to attack. Across the street from me was a park, and the 2 pits surrounded a guy there playing soccer by himself. The 2 dogs, both about 5 feet away, were ready to lunge at any second. A couple of my neighbors ran across the street with baseball bats hitting the ground and yelling at the dog, while I had my hunting rifle locked and loaded ready to take those dogs out. Luckily they backed off and 15 minutes after calling 911 the cops finally showed up and had the dogs taken to the pound and destroyed. The owner of the dogs was some young punk thug, who thought owning these dogs made him a "badass".

So in response the comment directed towards the person carrying, you should be thankful, not afraid. I'm sure the guy at the park would have been thankful I was there with my rifle if those dogs would have attacked and I saved his life. I'm sure if it was someone you cared about being attacked and someone who had a firearm saved their life, you'd be thankful. If it were ever my son or little girl who gets attacked by pitbulls, those dogs and most likely it's owners are both getting shot.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:07 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
"They were just going after the man like he was a piece of steak," Stanley Lee, who swung a baseball bat at the dogs in hopes to free the jogger, told MyFoxChicago.com. He went on to say the dogs went for the jogger's throat, face and arms, and called the attack was the worst thing he's ever seen.

Read more: Chicago Jogger Critically Injured By Pit Bulls | Fox News

Geeez. I'm not a big fan of regulations; but I think these dogs need to be registered like guns.
Too bad he didn't have a 9mm instead of a baseball bat.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'm not calling for a ban of PBs; just a crack down on the types of people that are allowed to own them.
I just don't think this is workable.

If you look on the fatality list, many are PB mixes so where do you draw the line 50%, 75%, etc? Secondly, there are many many other breeds like rotts, presarios and whatnot so even if you were able to make such a ban and enforce it (and if you look many of the owners are scumbags, drug dealers etc)....within 2 years you will just see people with rott\pitt mixes or just rotts or german shephards etc.

Ironically, the vast majority of deaths appear to be caused by their own pets so I guess there is some self-correction.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Too bad he didn't have a 9mm instead of a baseball bat.
Most likely the 9mm would be illegal per Chicago ordinance....

So the meth cooking, drug dealing, gang members with fighting dogs and whatnot are pretty well armed but the rest of the people not so much.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:27 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
"Someone like me"? Somehow you're able to size up my entire character from two posts, without knowing anything about me? I haven't been insulting towards you, so I'm going to ask for the same civility.

Now, what point haven't I addressed? You yourself said that many pit bull owners are incredibly irresponsible, and that is largely the cause for these dogs having a reputation as brutal killing machines.

Someone like you, you know, someone whose immediate response is to threaten pulling out a gun in a civil conversation. You didn't address a single point I made, you simply waved the fact that you have a gun in the air. Hardly the best tactic in a conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
About 7 years ago 2 pits were loose in my neighborhood, running around growling and snarling at everyone, as if on the prowl looking to attack. Across the street from me was a park, and the 2 pits surrounded a guy there playing soccer by himself. The 2 dogs, both about 5 feet away, were ready to lunge at any second. A couple of my neighbors ran across the street with baseball bats hitting the ground and yelling at the dog, while I had my hunting rifle locked and loaded ready to take those dogs out. Luckily they backed off and 15 minutes after calling 911 the cops finally showed up and had the dogs taken to the pound and destroyed. The owner of the dogs was some young punk thug, who thought owning these dogs made him a "badass".

So in response the comment directed towards the person carrying, you should be thankful, not afraid. I'm sure the guy at the park would have been thankful I was there with my rifle if those dogs would have attacked and I saved his life. I'm sure if it was someone you cared about being attacked and someone who had a firearm saved their life, you'd be thankful. If it were ever my son or little girl who gets attacked by pitbulls, those dogs and most likely it's owners are both getting shot.
I am not going to start thanking people for carrying guns. If you want to debate how detrimental it is towards society for the average citizen to carry firearms, start a thread on that (or PM me), as it is off topic. That being said, I would love to have that conversation.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:28 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
I'll agree with this when I start seeing more news stories about Dachshund attacks. Until then, it seems pretty clear to me that pit bulls are violent and potentially dangerous animals, and it's time that the government started restricting who can own these dogs, and in what setting.

Every breed of dog has "bad owners", but every breed of dog isn't as likely to dart after a small child and sink its teeth into their skull.
Quote:
I am sorry, but I am calling BS. Pit Bulls are the single most abused dog in America, and this only started in the last few decades. Hell, 30 years ago they were the model family pet. Movies used to show Pit Bulls lying around the house the way we think about yellow labs today. A pit bull by nature is not 'likely to dart after a small child'. Ignorance like this is why we still have problems. People spout off ignorant crap like you, and then some scumbag hears about it and thinks it would be bada** to have a killer chained in their yard. They get a pit bull, abuse the dog and as a result it becomes aggressive. It is a self-fulfilling prophesy.
Quote:
But here's the problem: 30 years ago is not today, and TODAY we have a breed of dog that can rightfully be considered dangerous.

I'm sure that there are some pit bulls that are perfect little angels, but it's no coincidence that 97% of all dog attack stories I've heard over the past few years have been PBs.

So you're welcome to own a pit bull, but if I see it running towards me growling, just know that I have a license to carry.
sorry Nairobi but you have a limited view of dogs in general, and pits in particular. various breeds have had the "badassed" reputation over the years, including such favorites as german shepherds, dobermans, rottweillers, etc. each of these dogs in the past has been excoriated in the press as being a bad animal and something needed to be done about them. people are in general stupid when it comes to identifying most anything. when german shepherds were the bad dog of the day, the vast majority of the stories in the news about dog attacks were listed as being german shepherds, same with dobermans, rotties, and now pit bulls. and as with many things, chances are very good that the id of a particular dog in the attack is wrong because most people right now have it in mind that bad dogs=pit bulls/pittbulls=bad dogs and thus if a medium or large breed dog attacks someone or someones dog, it must be a pit bull.

and because of this hysteria about pits is at a fever pitch, and the fact that most people have NO clue about proper pet handling, especially dogs, these dogs get a bad rap.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:46 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Someone like you, you know, someone whose immediate response is to threaten pulling out a gun in a civil conversation. You didn't address a single point I made, you simply waved the fact that you have a gun in the air. Hardly the best tactic in a conversation.
Meh. That was merely my colorful way of saying that I would not hesitate to protect myself from a perceived attack, and that no amount of positive reinforcement publicity for these dogs will keep me from doing otherwise. You're the one who chose to view it as a threat. But again, you don't know a thing about me, so there's no use in pretending you do.

You're also the one who made it a point to--not once, but twice--refer to my posts as "ignorant" and "crap". You're obviously the one throwing punches here, as I'm guessing this is a personal issue for you.

So I guess I will be ready to have an adult conversation with you, when you're ready to be civil.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:48 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Meh. That was merely my colorful way of saying that I would not hesitate to protect myself from a perceived attack, and that no amount of positive reinforcement publicity for these dogs will keep me from doing otherwise. You're the one who chose to view it as a threat. But again, you don't know a thing about me, so there's no use in pretending you do.

You're also the one who made it a point to--not once, but twice--refer to my posts as "ignorant" and "crap". You're obviously the one throwing punches here, as I'm guessing this is a personal issue for you.

So I guess I will be ready to have an adult conversation with you, when you're ready to be civil.
So yet again you reference physical violence and ignore the points I made about the causes of violent dogs?

Got it champ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies