U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 03:11 PM

12,660 posts, read 8,437,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
You have obviously done absolutely no research and are doing nothing more than going off of media hype. A pit bull is no more likely to attack a person than a lab, and if you read what I have posted, you would see why. But apparently you would rather stay ignorant than educate yourself. Answer me this, have you done any real reading on the breed? Talked to dog breeders/trainers/vets? Or did you see a few news stories and panic?

No, I just studied behavioral psychology in college including animal behavior. Breeding has a lot to do with it and fighting dogs are bred to attack. Why do people want attack dogs as pets? Same reason why wolves make lousy pets.

I found this study rather conclusive.

Fox Domestication
In contrast, foxes from an unselected population, or from a strain bred for aggressive behavior, avoid social interactions with humans. Although the heritability of these behavioral trait differences is well established, the molecular biological basis has not yet been determined.
But hey, lets go on pretending I don't do my research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 03:16 PM

8,310 posts, read 3,199,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
pit bulls are not bad dogs, unless they have bad owners. there are many examples of pit bulls that are super nice dogs around both humans and animals.
That must be the most over used sentence in America. Well that and "I do not recall"

Old 01-03-2012, 03:19 PM

8,310 posts, read 3,199,629 times
In my line of work, I've run into many dogs. I've never had a problem, but Pit Bulls are another story. They do not behave like most dogs, I don't trust them at all. My brother in law was just attacked by a Pit Bull about 3 months ago. In a rural setting, totally out of the blue. Someone from the hood must have abandoned this thing in the area and instead of wagging it's tail like 99% of lost dogs do, this thing attacked.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:24 PM

1,567 posts, read 723,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
They were bred for fighting other animals, (just like any hound, hunting dog, terrier or mastiff breeds, over 70% of all modern dogs, inf act) not humans. Claiming a pit bull is inherently dangerous because it was bred to fight other animals makes as much sense as claiming a coon hound must be a killer since it was bred to be a hunter. Plus, if they were bred to fight other animals, they would be even better around people. A person and a dog are very different.

People who ignore facts and jump to the conclusion that we should exterminate innocent...well...anything, should be ashamed of themselves.
Your naivety scares me. I wouldn't want to live anywhere close to someone like you who owns a Pit Bull.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:28 PM

2,608 posts, read 893,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Your naivety scares me. I wouldn't want to live anywhere close to someone like you who owns a Pit Bull.
People like you scare me more than any dog ever would

Old 01-03-2012, 03:32 PM

17,409 posts, read 7,971,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
"They were just going after the man like he was a piece of steak," Stanley Lee, who swung a baseball bat at the dogs in hopes to free the jogger, told MyFoxChicago.com. He went on to say the dogs went for the jogger's throat, face and arms, and called the attack was the worst thing he's ever seen.

Read more: Chicago Jogger Critically Injured By Pit Bulls | Fox News

Geeez. I'm not a big fan of regulations; but I think these dogs need to be registered like guns.
They should be shot on sight IMHO. No good comes from those dogs.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:40 PM

12,660 posts, read 8,437,665 times
I love the modern dog owner who tries to educate us "city folk" about dogs. The real clueless element in this is the modern dog owner who, as I said, has a rat killer as a pet. Draft horses, milk cows and chickens are animals bred for a purpose and were not considered pets like the current, domesticated, urban fool thinks they are. Now all these animals with these goals in mind are thought to be pets cause they look fluffy with no consideration of their breeding history. Perhaps its a side effect of our multicultural flat earth-ism as if nurture decides all.

There are all kinds of dogs, and if you want a pet or a hunting dog there are breeds for it. You can even have a dog for home defense, but its no different than any other home defense choice. Also it may be true that many dogs are under control. However when the inevitable miscalculation happens, an attack dog is just that much more lethal than a dog bred to bite and hold or one that is just a pet.

If you are seen being careless with your dog bred for defense, then I look at it as if discharging a fire arm in a populated area. If you let the dog loose then its like going in your front yard and doing target practice into a tree where its potentially dangerous. The problem is people treat them as if they are just like hamsters and have no respect for the animal they have. That is why there are a thousand dog bites a day.

Dog bite statistics

Old 01-03-2012, 03:48 PM

9,856 posts, read 7,919,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
And I don't want to live anywhere near someone like you whose memory of history only goes back 20 years and who jumps to condone using guns when there is no evidence of a problem. Let's believe overhyped media above facts! Good plan! Your ignorance and apparent willingness to blindly accept whatever is on the local news as the bible scares me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
No, I just studied behavioral psychology in college including animal behavior. Breeding has a lot to do with it and fighting dogs are bred to attack. Why do people want attack dogs as pets? Same reason why wolves make lousy pets.

I found this study rather conclusive.

Fox Domestication
In contrast, foxes from an unselected population, or from a strain bred for aggressive behavior, avoid social interactions with humans. Although the heritability of these behavioral trait differences is well established, the molecular biological basis has not yet been determined.
But hey, lets go on pretending I don't do my research.
Pretending? You post a single link on attempts to domesticate foxes, which are nowhere near biologically similar to the domesticated canine. The fact that you believe that passes as 'research' scares me. Can you respond to any of the actual points I made? Can you post any viable statistics that show unabused pit bulls are more prone to attack humans than any other breed? I will wait to see the data you come up with.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:55 PM

62 posts, read 17,200 times
The problem is for every awesome nice pit bull owner you have, there are 10 felons that will rob and kill you for a dollar bill who own pit bulls.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:00 PM

8,030 posts, read 4,406,344 times
Last summer I was out walking my two elderly dogs when a pit bull came around the corner from the alley. Living in Baltimore, I've met plenty of pit bulls who are sweet and given that this one had a collar on, I figured that it was just lost and was not in the least bit afraid of it. As I called out to someone down the way to see if this was her dog, I heard another person calling from the alley. Luckily it was the dog's owner, a white woman in her early 20s.

Just as she went to take her dog by the collar, the pit bull lunged at my 11-year old beagle and sunk its teeth into the back of my dog's neck. Next the pit bull flipped my dog onto her back and dragged her about 15 ft. into the street. The owner of the pit bull literally wrapped herself around her dog, trying to pull it off of my dog. I then started kicking her dog to try and get it to let go. According to a bystander the time between when he first heard me screaming and when the pit actually let go of my dog was almost 5 mins. Now I'm 5'8 and 150lbs. The pit bull owner was probably 5'5 and the same weight as me, maybe a little heavier. And no matter what we did that dog refused to let go of my 30lbs beagle until it was good and ready to. Of course, the story from the pit bull owner was that her dog never behaved like this before and is always gentle with other dogs and children. (Yeah, tell it to the judge, sister.)

The fact is is that any dog can turn on a whim. What makes a pit bull so dangerous is the crushing damage that its massive jaw can inflict. In the scheme of things, my dog was very lucky. But I would hate to have seen these wounds and the underlying tissue damage on a child. Not worth the risk, in my opinion.

Last edited by helenejen; 04-25-2013 at 10:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies