Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 12:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
When have Liberals ever engaged in a theory that involves business creation using UE benefits? Have you ever in your life seen or heard a Liberal politician embracing this idea?

Of course you haven't. So, please, spare us this unconventional liberal attitude as if you folks would push for anything of the sorts on a massive scale. You'd lose votes and elections by the millions if you did because your base electorate doesn't have the skills or even the desire to do anything closely resembling the hard work it takes to run a business.

Get real.
How are you going to start a business on $560/wk, (which I agree sounds generous considering a $50K income)? Unless this person is married to someone who can assume all her debts (or has some other type of support) she was using this money to provide for the necessities of life. Rent in Seattle could take up 1/2 her monthly takehome.

What experience do you have starting a business? I thought you were a federal contractor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 12:22 PM

15,056 posts, read 8,625,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I read this same story about a year ago but the scenario was different. This person was in NYC and was working on Wall Street making about $85,000 per year. What's fishy about the OP's story is the UE benefits do not match the salary. If you are making $50,000 per year, your UE benefits will not reach $560 per week. I personally know of two people who made close to $90 thousand per year and their UE benefits came to $400 per week with the Federal add on from Obama.
The theme of the OP is very clear. Let's cannibalize each other .... do away with unemployment ... and lets cut all of these freebie handouts to Joe Blow, and also to Grandma's SS and medicare .... she's lived long enough anyway. We can't afford to keep giving handouts to the insignificant useless eaters and afford to keep giving Trillions to Billionaires too ...

And I can't wait for the show .... when everyone is starving in the streets, and murdering each other over a can of spam.

Ignorance like this deserves EVERYTHING that's already here, and all that is coming too.

Maybe the New World Order is correct when they claim that 90% population reduction will be a good thing .... each day that passes, the argument against such a genocidal attitude gets tougher. If the sheep don't even care about each other ... why should the herders?

Old 01-03-2012, 12:23 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,117,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
How are you going to start a business on $560/wk, (which I agree sounds generous considering a $50K income)? Unless this person is married to someone who can assume all her debts (or has some other type of support) she was using this money to provide for the necessities of life. Rent in Seattle could take up 1/2 her monthly takehome.

What experience do you have starting a business? I thought you were a federal contractor.
Great question! Which is why I called the commenter to the carpet to explain such a proposition! Great theory, but certainly not attainable and certainly not something the average UE benefactor would even contemplate anyway.

Regarding contractors.....who says federal/state/local contractors aren't business owners? Who says that federal/state/local contracts are the only source of revenue?

Old 01-03-2012, 12:24 PM

15,056 posts, read 8,625,891 times
Yeah, lets give each American a damned tent, and a 50Lb bag of Alpo ... and tell them they're on their own!

That's the ticket.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
The theme of the OP is very clear. Let's cannibalize each other .... do away with unemployment ... and lets cut all of these freebie handouts to Joe Blow, and also to Grandma's SS and medicare .... she's lived long enough anyway. We can't afford to keep giving handouts to the insignificant useless eaters and afford to keep giving Trillions to Billionaires too ...

And I can't wait for the show .... when everyone is starving in the streets, and murdering each other over a can of spam.

Ignorance like this deserves EVERYTHING that's already here, and all that is coming too.

Maybe the New World Order is correct when they claim that 90% population reduction will be a good thing .... each day that passes, the argument against such a genocidal attitude gets tougher. If the sheep don't even care about each other ... why should the herders?
In your opinion, does the US Government have a positive track record weeding out the fraud, waste, and abuse in ANY of its programs? Is there any reason to believe that tax dollars are being spent wisely, even if the program itself has good intentions?

It seems that you have no qualms whatsoever in providing for those who refuse to provide for themselves. No matter the cost. No matter the consequence.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Great question! Which is why I called the commenter to the carpet to explain such a proposition! Great theory, but certainly not attainable and certainly not something the average UE benefactor would even contemplate anyway.

Regarding federal contractors.....who says federal/state/local contractors aren't business owners? Who says that federal/state/local contracts are the only source of revenue?
Of course the contractors are business owners. I just didn't think you owned a business. The contractors that I know in DC are doing the same things they did when they worked for a federal agency. It sounds like the work is 100% federa contract. Now I have known of businesses that are more diversified as well, but not in DC.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:07 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,436,394 times
Here is something a lot of you aren't realizing; What business in it's right mind would hire, at minimum wage, someone who is vastly over qualified for the job? What is to keep that person from quitting in two months for a better job and then cost the business more money in retraining a new person?

As some one who was recently unemployed for over a year, made about ~$400/week on UE, and applied for over 400 jobs in my own industry alone, let me tell you how many minimum wage jobs called me back after I applied to them.

Zero.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:08 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I just heard a report (on Armed Forces Network) that jobs are being filled by men, even traditionally women-held positions.
Employers are discriminating against women.
I heard another report that more women are attending universities, they are discriminating against men.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Here is something a lot of you aren't realizing; What business in it's right mind would hire, at minimum wage, someone who is vastly over qualified for the job? What is to keep that person from quitting in two months for a better job and then cost the business more money in retraining a new person?

As some one who was recently unemployed for over a year, made about ~$400/week on UE, and applied for over 400 jobs in my own industry alone, let me tell you how many minimum wage jobs called me back after I applied to them.

Zero.
Did you feel the need to put your assumingly vast qualifications on the actual application? Minimum wage jobs don't need a resume. In this economy you need to get creative, even if that means lying about your experience by excluding it from your application. Who needs to know all your credentials to flip burgers or sweep floors or run a cash register? If you want to be a minimum wage employee, then be that person on your application! Adapt to the environment!

Old 01-03-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post

Zero.
That is a big problem right now. Some companies are worse than others in that regard. You might try Radio Shack. An engineer I know got on there and was promoted to manager fairly quickly. He actually worked there several years before he got another engineering job. They got more work out of him that out of a lot of these HS drop outs that apply.

Quote:
Did you feel the need to put your assumingly vast qualifications on the actual application? Minimum wage jobs don't need a resume. In this economy you need to get creative, even if that means lying about your experience by excluding it from your application. Who needs to know all your credentials to flip burgers or sweep floors or run a cash register? If you want to be a minimum wage employee, then be that person on your application! Adapt to the environment!
Virtually every job requires one to fill out an app, and attest that the information is true. Are you suggesting lying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies