Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 07:58 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,182,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
It's a voluntary transaction. No reason for gov't to be involved.
Do you support Min Wage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 08:00 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabronie View Post
Do you support Min Wage?
Nope.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:00 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
No it's not, is your state "At Will" employment?

Please tell me why it's hard?
Yes. All 50 states are "at will" employment states.

It's hard because of unions and ADA laws in some cases. It's very hard to fire someone from a government job in many cases as well.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:02 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
As a small business owner I say, NO

Some of you are assuming all workers are good workers.

Can I Be Fired From Work For No Reason?

Generally, yes. The general rule is that unless there is an agreement stating otherwise, all employees are considered “at-will" employees. As an “at-will" employee, you can be fired for any reason, or no reason at all. For example, if your boss wants to fire you so that his boss’ sister can take your position, then he can without consequence. However there are a number of exceptions to this rule. Common exceptions to the “at-will" employment rule are:
  1. a contract or collective bargaining agreement between the employer and employee providing that the employee cannot be fired without good cause;
  2. termination that violates public policy (discrimination, retaliation, etc.); and
  3. termination that results after the employee’s reasonable reliance on the job offer when the employer knows the employee has had to quit another job, leave school, or move closer to the job.Can I Be Fired From Work For No Reason? | Wrongful Termination Legal Resources

Old 01-03-2012, 08:02 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,182,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Nope.
Sad, because (and you know this) if it was left to self regulating, we would not be where we are now, and the money divide would be insanely lopsided. I fear the world, people like this seek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Yes. All 50 states are "at will" employment states.

It's hard because of unions and ADA laws in some cases. It's very hard to fire someone from a government job in many cases as well.
By hard, you mean it's a more level playing field

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
As a small business owner I say, NO

Some of you are assuming all workers are good workers.

Can I Be Fired From Work For No Reason?

Generally, yes. The general rule is that unless there is an agreement stating otherwise, all employees are considered “at-will" employees. As an “at-will" employee, you can be fired for any reason, or no reason at all. For example, if your boss wants to fire you so that his boss’ sister can take your position, then he can without consequence. However there are a number of exceptions to this rule. Common exceptions to the “at-will" employment rule are:
  1. a contract or collective bargaining agreement between the employer and employee providing that the employee cannot be fired without good cause;
  2. termination that violates public policy (discrimination, retaliation, etc.); and
  3. termination that results after the employee’s reasonable reliance on the job offer when the employer knows the employee has had to quit another job, leave school, or move closer to the job.Can I Be Fired From Work For No Reason? | Wrongful Termination Legal Resources
Thank you. I don't think people realize how few workers rights they have until they take it w/no lube once.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:03 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Sad, because (and you know this) if it was left to self regulating, we would not be where we are now, and the money divide would be insanely lopsided. I fear the world, people like this seek.
Most people make a lot more than minimum wage anyway.

Nevertheless, I agree we would not be where we are now without having had minimum wage laws in the past (as well as strong unions). I think more regulation and unions were a good thing at one time. I think they have long outlived their usefulness and now cause more problems than they're worth.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:04 AM

422 posts, read 812,346 times
Quote:
Need to do nothing more then either search or start a thread here, and ask or look up, what people think of the long term unemployed. Even better, use the term 99'ers and see what sort of sentiment you dig up.

Not long ago, there was a slew of adds for employment and it became normal to see -If unemployed more then 6 months in the last year, need not apply. Which eventually morphed into -Unemployed need not apply. I can also speak from experience, #1 topic in an interview is my unemployment, not what I can offer; That is if I can even manage a phone call back to talk to an actual person.
I suspect that some ask that question just to see if you can keep your cool under pressure and not out of some profound ignorance and being out of touch on their part. Of course some of them are probably just dicks or morons who can't identify talent if it bit them in the behind. I mean otherwise why even waste their time or yours? Then again some HR people are morons who are looking for things to do and are trying to keep busy so they don't get axed in the next round of layoffs so they conduct non serious interviews and file a report to a supervisor in order to look good.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:08 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times
Quote:
Wages are regulated by the market. Supply and demand. Government can not change wages, government can only outlaw those it deems unsatisfactory.

Do you know what percentage of workers actually make minimum wage?

Quote:
By hard, you mean it's a more level playing field
If by level playing field you mean you as an employee should have freedom but I as an employer shouldn't, then yes, that would be a more level playing field.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:10 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
In Europe it is really hard to fire someone for what ever reason, so once a person is hired they are set and can feel comfortable that they will have a paycheck for working.

Many people feel like in America it is too easy to fire someone. I have seen tons of people fired for basically no reason and because of the tough job market it is really tough to get rehired if you have a termination in your record because potential employers will likely think something must be wrong with you. And employers don't like to hire the unemployed.

Capitalists say that it should be very easy to lay off or fire workers because it makes the workplace more dynamic and with a bit of fear workers will try harder and devote themselves to their careers and commit to life long learning. If an employer has to go through all kinds of red tape to terminate someone then he will be afraid to hire people and time and productivity is lost in the process. If employees have no fear of termination then they will get lazy and are hard to manage.

So, Should government make it harder for employers to fire people to protect US workers?
They also can feel comfortable that they will have a pay check for NOT working. Besides, a company has to have the ability to control costs. What happens if there's a major downturn? Where does the money come from to keep a failing company afloat? The government? There's a word for that.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:12 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
In Europe it is really hard to fire someone for what ever reason, so once a person is hired they are set and can feel comfortable that they will have a paycheck for working.

Many people feel like in America it is too easy to fire someone. I have seen tons of people fired for basically no reason and because of the tough job market it is really tough to get rehired if you have a termination in your record because potential employers will likely think something must be wrong with you. And employers don't like to hire the unemployed.

Capitalists say that it should be very easy to lay off or fire workers because it makes the workplace more dynamic and with a bit of fear workers will try harder and devote themselves to their careers and commit to life long learning. If an employer has to go through all kinds of red tape to terminate someone then he will be afraid to hire people and time and productivity is lost in the process. If employees have no fear of termination then they will get lazy and are hard to manage.

So, Should government make it harder for employers to fire people to protect US workers?
Here we go again, thinking the government should tell private business owners what they can and can't do. Your boss should be able to fire you if he doesn't like the tie you are wearing. If your boss fires you for that reason, he ought to be able to disclose it when your potential employer calls for a reference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies