Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 02:09 AM

266 posts, read 179,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly. So... why should the American public continue to advocate support for the welfare state in any way, shape, or form? Do liberals really support enriching the banksters?
Because the elites and politicians don't want the welfare class to riot. You theories sounds all nice, but they don't work in reality. The government only wants the welfare dependent class to grow, this way they and the elites will have more control over bigger chunks of the american population. It's the 21st century form of modern slavery. Plus last time I checked the american public isn't exactly United. Society is driven more apart, than it ever was. This country is founded on individualism. That works wonderful in times of success and prosperity. But in times of crisis it really shows if your society can stick together. And the American public won't stick together. Over here it's everybody for themselves. By-in-large Americans don't give a rip about each other. That's the reason this country will keep declining and eventually will fail and European countries will pull through this crisis. The population of European countries stick together in times of crisis and need. They relate to each other. Americans don't relate to each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 04:17 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
No, it was much more accurate the second time around. The konservatives in this country have not only been dedicated to a Forever War on credit but they have been trying to reverse not only the New Deal but the very Enlightenment that placed Reason over Religion. We are not so slowly sliding into a theological tyranny ruled by a hypocritical aristocracy with no political, civil or economic rights for the disenfranchised and impoverished masses.

We are going to hell in a hand basket and Mammon is carrying us irretrievably on our way.
+1 I can't add to this

Old 01-04-2012, 04:26 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whateverhere View Post
Because the elites and politicians don't want the welfare class to riot. You theories sounds all nice, but they don't work in reality. The government only wants the welfare dependent class to grow, this way they and the elites will have more control over bigger chunks of the american population. It's the 21st century form of modern slavery. Plus last time I checked the american public isn't exactly United. Society is driven more apart, than it ever was. This country is founded on individualism. That works wonderful in times of success and prosperity. But in times of crisis it really shows if your society can stick together. And the American public won't stick together. Over here it's everybody for themselves. By-in-large Americans don't give a rip about each other. That's the reason this country will keep declining and eventually will fail and European countries will pull through this crisis. The population of European countries stick together in times of crisis and need. They relate to each other. Americans don't relate to each other.
You are right on all counts.

We used to be united,but disillusionment with politicians divided some,growing weary with the raping of the American worker and middle class divided some,single issues divided yet others...it's a divide and conquer strategy by a few elite groups within our country that has won,not the American people.

If you make one brother mad at the other they concentrate on being mad at each other,lose focus and forget their goal was protecting each other from the wolves and the chickens from the foxes...the wolves and foxes have won in America while we b*tch at each other.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:12 AM

89,004 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
The government only wants the welfare dependent class to grow, this way they and the elites will have more control over bigger chunks of the american population.
Spells out, EXACTLY, the Democrats' decades-old agenda. They're not for the little guy; they want total control over the little guy.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:18 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
u r so right. the good life. unlimited wealth and everything free with no obligation to obey or submit to any sort of discipline or authority. big daddy's main purpose is to function like an ATM.
50 years of the good life about to come to a close. the good life, the stinking thinking machine since 1963. highest prison population on earth. this life style is not sustainable.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:00 AM

266 posts, read 179,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I do miss Cafferty but I refuse to watch Blitzer just to hear Cafferty. The decline is very obvious unless you are thinking about the attempt at pure tyranny from Obama. That is surely not in decline.
Yeah, I really like Cafferty. He is like this old grumpy man who wants to fire everybody.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:28 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
I was not broken-hearted when the USSR declined and eventually collapsed.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:10 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Quote:
We bombed them in the stone ages that's what we have done. The dumb american public wanted to boost their ego and flex their muscles. Really shows how primitive we are as Americans.
I so agree. The Iraqi and Afghani children and villagers who have been decimated have led to a revived interest on campus where I teach students history re: My Lai incident in Vietnam.

I hope many writers and journalists are over there now, showing what has truly occurred on the name of "big oil" and monetary gain at the expense of hunmanity.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:32 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFix View Post
It will take AT LEAST another 8 years to fix the mess that George Dumbya Bush and the Republicans created. Yes, it's that bad.
It's not just Dubya; it's a decline that has been at least a generation or two in the making. The decline has multiple roots and it's complicated. I'm not a religious person, but I do agree with a lot of people on one thing: our problem is a lack of ethics and principles. We lack the right virtues.

Economically, we have corporate executives who get paid many, many times what their own producers and front-line service providers get paid. And many times, they get paid to fail. And while their front-line workers bear the consequences of these failures through their job losses and falling behind on their mortgages, they get bailouts, stock options, or if they happen to be unlucky, contract buyouts. Everyone should be outraged by this. It doesn't matter of George Bush or Barack Obama is in the White House. It's not a Democrat or a Republican issue. It's a matter of right and wrong, and we should all equally hold these people equally accountable. And we should all be advocates for creating an economic system that is fairer and less corrupt.

Politically, we have special interests that seek to dominate and control the system, and we have people within the system who seem to be more than willing to invite such characters. Compromise has long been recognized as the way to facilitate disagreement in politics, but it's now seen as a sign of weakness. We have elected a group of people who are accountable to their donors first and the people a distant second. We have a system which encourages non-stop political campaigning, as opposed to governing. We've become arguably the most dysfunctional modern democracy in any developed society, and we're in danger of becoming a democracy that is so dysfunctional as to be compared with some of the more fragile emerging democracies in places such as Eastern Europe, Africa, and South America.

But let's also look at ourselves. We're a nation of out of control consumers. We have to have everything that's on the shelf, and we're willing to spend ourselves into massive debt in order to keep up with each other. We have a tremendous sense of entitlement in this society. We're also incredibly ignorant and seem to not care about what we don't know. We'd sooner build a billion dollar sports palace across town than repair even a single school in our own neighborhood.

I think we'll get it right one day, but we've yet to hit rock bottom and the downward slide will be long, slow, and bumpy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies