Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 12:34 PM

1,187 posts, read 994,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
A BABY is not a parasitic growth! It is a BABY! And everyone knows that people don't always get abortions just because "it could endanger the life of the host.". People get abortions because they are selfish and want to have sex without having the "burden"!
People don't get abortions just because they are selfish and want to have sex without having the burden. Sometimes people have abortions because birth control isn't 100% effective and "accidents" happen. Sometimes those people decide that bringing a child into the world during a situation that is bad for both them and the baby is MORE selfish than having an abortion.

There is no cut and dry reason why women have abortions, nor is this a cut and dry topic. It is both political AND moral AND personal AND private!

When you take a topic such as this, there are so many variables that you can't say "it's always wrong" or "it's always ok". It depends on too many factors.

That being said....

I believe it should stay legal, because that's the only way to keep it safe for women. Abortions won't go away if they are illegal (just like everything else), if it's illegal than more women will die because they will go to quack doctors, in unsanitary conditions to have them done, rather than not have an abortion. That is the political part of the equation.

However, morally, I think too many women are mislead about how they will feel and the emotional & physical impact having an abortion will have on them. They are not told that they could suffer from severe depression aftwards, simply because it's not "politically correct" to tell them this. In fact, they are told that the opposite will happen. And it does, but generally that "relief" feeling does not last more than a day or two, depending on the woman. And that's not getting into the whole "when does life begin" thing, which personally I don't think that argument will ever be settled.

I don't think abortion should be a political issue, even though I think it should stay legal to protect women. That's as far as the government should be involved. I do think that it's perfectly fine if churches and organizations want to do what they can to help women make other choices, and I think sex education could do better to make more women/young girls use birth control more effectively. Really, if you want to keep abortions from happening you have to get to the people BEFORE they have sex and talk to them about smart birth control and responsibility afterwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 12:37 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
People don't get abortions just because they are selfish and want to have sex without having the burden...
Amen.

When I see someone make an argument like that (they want to have abortion for a free reign on sex and are selfish) or that homosexuality is a choice, I see two possibilities:
1- That person actually has at least weighed in those choices in their personal lives and use that personal experience to present a logical argument.
2- That person is completely irrational in behavior, operating primarily on whimsical ideas, on belief, if not with a mob mentality.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:40 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
Is abortion a political issue, like most people make it? Or a moral issue?
Moral.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It is a medical procedure to remove an unwanted parasitic growth. That could endanger the life of the host.
LOL No.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It is a clinical definition of a surgical procedure.
You said "remove an unwanted parasitic growth." That is not a clinical definition for surgery. Nice try.

Quote:

It should not be a political issue at all.
Agreed.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:45 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Well, since you already *know* what an abortion is, and you have your own *opinion* as to why women have the procedure, why did you even ask the question?

Methinks there's an agenda here.

Popcorn, anyone?
I'd bet that anyone who makes a thread on CD has their own opinion. I asked the question because I want to know what other people think about it. CD is a forum, and that is typically what you do on a forum. Me knowing that it's a baby, doesn't mean that I understand whether abortion is a moral issue or a political issue to people. You know instead of making it a point to attack me, you could contribute to the conversation; or would that just be too hard for you?

Old 01-04-2012, 12:47 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
People don't get abortions just because they are selfish and want to have sex without having the burden. Sometimes people have abortions because birth control isn't 100% effective and "accidents" happen. Sometimes those people decide that bringing a child into the world during a situation that is bad for both them and the baby is MORE selfish than having an abortion.

There is no cut and dry reason why women have abortions, nor is this a cut and dry topic. It is both political AND moral AND personal AND private!

When you take a topic such as this, there are so many variables that you can't say "it's always wrong" or "it's always ok". It depends on too many factors.

That being said....

I believe it should stay legal, because that's the only way to keep it safe for women. Abortions won't go away if they are illegal (just like everything else), if it's illegal than more women will die because they will go to quack doctors, in unsanitary conditions to have them done, rather than not have an abortion. That is the political part of the equation.

However, morally, I think too many women are mislead about how they will feel and the emotional & physical impact having an abortion will have on them. They are not told that they could suffer from severe depression aftwards, simply because it's not "politically correct" to tell them this. In fact, they are told that the opposite will happen. And it does, but generally that "relief" feeling does not last more than a day or two, depending on the woman. And that's not getting into the whole "when does life begin" thing, which personally I don't think that argument will ever be settled.

I don't think abortion should be a political issue, even though I think it should stay legal to protect women. That's as far as the government should be involved. I do think that it's perfectly fine if churches and organizations want to do what they can to help women make other choices, and I think sex education could do better to make more women/young girls use birth control more effectively. Really, if you want to keep abortions from happening you have to get to the people BEFORE they have sex and talk to them about smart birth control and responsibility afterwards.

Uh, from what I hear women are counseled about their decision before having an abortion. Not a pro-life lecture, but they are made aware of their options. No one is forcing them to walk into that clinic, so I don't see why they should have to endure an emotional guilt trip from the people they're coming to for help.

And while it can be an emotional decision (but, hell, what isn't? Do we need to set people up with therapists before they move to another state? Quit their job? Choose a major?), dealing with emotional consequences is part of being an adult and many women have no problem moving on with their lives after an abortion. Many are happy and relieved to be done with the whole ordeal.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:47 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
You said "remove an unwanted parasitic growth." That is not a clinical definition for surgery. Nice try.
Why not present your (clinical) definition of surgery instead of questioning the person's take on early abortion being no different than removal of a parasitic growth? Does your definition entail removal of only dead cells from the body?

Old 01-04-2012, 12:50 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,849,513 times
Abortion is a political issue. Same as capital punishment, euthanasia... To me, life begins at conception. That is when the DNA is set. The unborn child has different DNA than the mother and it is human; therefore a distinct life.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:55 PM

1,187 posts, read 994,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Uh, from what I hear women are counseled about their decision before having an abortion. Not a pro-life lecture, but they are made aware of their options. No one is forcing them to walk into that clinic, so I don't see why they should have to endure an emotional guilt trip from the people they're coming to for help.

And while it can be an emotional decision (but, hell, what isn't? Do we need to set people up with therapists before they move to another state? Quit their job? Choose a major?), dealing with emotional consequences is part of being an adult and many women have no problem moving on with their lives after an abortion. Many are happy and relieved to be done with the whole ordeal.
The "counseling" women get before hand is not much counseling at all, usually their biggest concern is if you know your choices, and you're not being pressured by a family member or boyfriend. They give you a pamphlet that doesn't tell you about PASS or any other possible emotional issues you could have afterwards.

Having an abortion is more than just another emotional decision. It has real repercussions and real emotional affects that aren't just in your head, but are cuased by physical hormones going through your body. Having an abortion can affect you much like a miscarriage, only with the added guilt of knowing it was your "fault" (whereas a miscarriage there is proof it's not), plus the fear of being rejected and judged by others for having one. Women go through all the same emotions after an abortion as a miscarriage PLUS these added stresses that can cause severe emotional breakdowns. This is NOT something that women are told about before an abortion and it is NOT something that is readily treated by the medical community!

Here's a website you can read up on PASS and it's affects.
Symptoms and Frequently Asked Questions About Post Abortion Stress Syndrome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies