Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 12:57 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,362,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Development stages.
I hoped as much. But I guess I'm asking what is it SPECIFICALLY that convinces you, "Okay, this is a life, not just an object".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 12:59 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,763,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Abortion is a political issue. Same as capital punishment, euthanasia... To me, life begins at conception. That is when the DNA is set. The unborn child has different DNA than the mother and it is human; therefore a distinct life.
I'm curious about your definition of life. If an embryo absorbs another embryo (which is not a terribly rare event), where does the life go? Two distinct sets of DNA are now a single, indistinguishable lifeform.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:00 PM

23,768 posts, read 14,888,122 times
I cannot think of any reason why I would ever recommend a person obtain an abortion. moral

I cannot think of a reason why I would want anybody telling me that I could not. political

The decision should be between a woman, her family, doctor and G-d.

And not after the 1st trimester.

Three theologians discussing when does life begin. Theologian 1 at conception, theologian 2 at quickening, theologian 3, when the kids leave home and the dog dies.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:04 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,078,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Development stages.
So you draw the line at which developmental aspect of the fetus? It already has brain waves, a beating heart and can move by three months. Teeth buds and hair follicles are present. So are genitals. The baby can form a fist. Bones are starting to form. Every organ is already present, although not fully developed, obviously.

Three months is the entire first trimester.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
So is choosing for someone that isn't aware that they will have a bad life if born.
Adoption is so often overlooked by the pro-abortionists. Sad.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:08 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,763,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
The "counseling" women get before hand is not much counseling at all, usually their biggest concern is if you know your choices, and you're not being pressured by a family member or boyfriend. They give you a pamphlet that doesn't tell you about PASS or any other possible emotional issues you could have afterwards.

Having an abortion is more than just another emotional decision. It has real repercussions and real emotional affects that aren't just in your head, but are cuased by physical hormones going through your body. Having an abortion can affect you much like a miscarriage, only with the added guilt of knowing it was your "fault" (whereas a miscarriage there is proof it's not), plus the fear of being rejected and judged by others for having one. Women go through all the same emotions after an abortion as a miscarriage PLUS these added stresses that can cause severe emotional breakdowns. This is NOT something that women are told about before an abortion and it is NOT something that is readily treated by the medical community!

Here's a website you can read up on PASS and it's affects.
Symptoms and Frequently Asked Questions About Post Abortion Stress Syndrome
Ah, I thought you were implying clinics were bullying women into abortions. But I think, after a glance, PASS is no different than the many psychological issues suffered at the hands of hormone imbalances, and, gosh, most psychological issues really. I think most have a lot of people thinking the person suffering should just toughen up and get over it. I can't say I've ever dealt with anything similar, but from what I've gathered people with emotional and psychological issues are often brushed aside.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:11 PM

3,246 posts, read 5,590,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It is a medical procedure to remove an unwanted parasitic growth. That could endanger the life of the host.

Apparently your host mother was quite brave to risk her life with such a parasite as you!

Old 01-04-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Why not present your (clinical) definition of surgery instead of questioning the person's take on early abortion being no different than removal of a parasitic growth? Does your definition entail removal of only dead cells from the body?
No. As someone who has had pre-cancerous skin cells removed...obviously not.

It also has nothing to do with whether the part being removed is wanted or not. You think amputees want to have their limbs removed?

I called out the poster b/c he was being intellectually dishonest.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I'm curious about your definition of life. If an embryo absorbs another embryo (which is not a terribly rare event), where does the life go? Two distinct sets of DNA are now a single, indistinguishable lifeform.
Do you have a link for this?

Old 01-04-2012, 01:13 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,733,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
But I guess I'm asking what is it SPECIFICALLY that convinces you, "Okay, this is a life, not just an object".
What is life but a process resulting from chemical reactions that supplies energy to the object to be able to function? This would include every bit of living cell in your body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
No. As someone who has had pre-cancerous skin cells removed...obviously not.
Were those dead cells?
Quote:
It also has nothing to do with whether the part being removed is wanted or not. You think amputees want to have their limbs removed?
Amputees already have their limb(s) removed. Anyway, they had them removed for a purpose, usually to save their lives. Leaving them in, would have caused suffering and likely endangered their lives (until that point those limbs would be nothing more than parasites).

Quote:
I called out the poster b/c he was being intellectually dishonest.
I don't see that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies