U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 02:57 PM

10,834 posts, read 3,341,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Oh good. Get ready to watch socially conservative heads explode again.
Always entertaining!

On a more serious note, I'm sure there will be all kinds of attempts to overturn this; hopefully, this state has enough progressive voters, as well as voters who just plain think that marriage equality is right and fair, to prevent those attempts from going anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 02:58 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,951,698 times
Quote:
Oh good. Get ready to watch socially conservative heads explode again.
I know, I'm just taunting because I know it will irritate them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post

(What took us so long? )
I know! We may not have been first but we got there (or are getting there!).

Old 01-23-2012, 02:59 PM

14,002 posts, read 7,323,753 times
Quote:
Always entertaining!

On a more serious note, I'm sure there will be all kinds of attempts to overturn this; hopefully, this state has enough progressive voters, as well as voters who just plain think that marriage equality is right and fair, to prevent those attempts from going anywhere.
KING 5 poll: State divided over gay marriage | KING5.com Seattle

It would probably be a very close election.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:02 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,951,698 times
Quote:
Always entertaining!

We have to beware of outside influence like the Utah Mormons who poured money and effort into California with Prop 8. Anyone that thinks the Mormons don't try to influence politics are deluded.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:05 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,917,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
My last supervisor was gay. EVERY DAY the issue of his being gay was a frequent topic of disscussion. Where I work presently the office climate is gay friendly. EVERY MINUTE the issue of being gay and what that means are constant topics of disscussion. There was a luncheon to which spouses were invited and the hetero couples (far in the majority) behaved as couples usually do. The same sex couples were in each other laps or wrapped around each other or otherwise engaging in PDA. Because they could. Gay marriage is a bad idea. A very bad idea. I've got nothing personal against the o.p. but this thread is indicative of the obsession that some gays have with their very gayness. Just live for christsakes. There are cities, states, countries where even thinking about some same sex shenanigesn could get you croaked. What is it about Civil Unions don't gay people accept? Because it isn't marriage? Of course it isn't. TWO MEN CANNOT GET MARRIED... OR TWO WOMEN. It really is that simple. Two men can be legally joined... or two women. Come up with a word for it yourselves if Civil Union sounds too... whatever it sounds. "Marriage" is taken as a descriptive noun for opposite sex religious and civil union. What do you do when City Data informs you that the userid you had your heart set on is taken? Sue City Data? This issue is getting tiresome. Can you tell I am losing my patience with those who keep bringing it up... ...

H (/flame off)
You're so full of crap, it's coming out of your ears. Do you honestly think none of us have jobs, therefore we're actually going to believe this story? MOST of us work, and I guarantee you NONE of us have had this experience. There are gay people where I work, yes. Know how often it comes up? Never. Know how often they act inappropriately at company functions? Never. Same at most other places.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:12 PM

10,834 posts, read 3,341,743 times
Quote:
Hate to break it to you...

Apple donates $100,000 to fight Prop. 8 | The Technology Chronicles | an SFGate.com blog

Actually, I lied. I'm happy to break it to you.
LOL.

Unfortunately I couldn't rep you again.

But I am thrilled and proud to be a citizen of the State of Washington.

And I will use my Microsoft products with a smile on my face.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:16 PM

13,557 posts, read 6,414,266 times
Oh, my. People really didn't realize that post #5 was satire? Really?

Good for Microsoft.
I am looking forward to the day when this sort of 'news' gets the shrug of the shoulders it deserves

Old 01-23-2012, 03:25 PM

10,283 posts, read 3,067,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
An outstanding reason for me to stay with Apple.
Lol, you don't think the computer company that basically is marketed to progressive liberals doesn't adamantly support gays and the same-sex marriage?

Old 01-24-2012, 04:23 PM

4,971 posts, read 5,845,600 times
I love it when anti-marriage equality types try to say what people should and should not do in their bedrooms.

*begin sarcasm*

Hey how about this! Let's legislate masturbation. Make it illegal because there's a line in the HOLY BIBLE about "spilling seed" is akin to a sin. Has to be right, it's in the HOLY BIBLE right? <insert fire and brimstone> If it's wrong to be gay, then it is also wrong to waste the seeds of life!

*end sarcasm*

I'm so happy to live in this state right now. Hopefully we can use this as another tool to bring highly-paid, intelligent, etc. gay and lesbian people and further put states who boorishly and barbarically called marriage something between a man and a woman.

Proper separation of church and state would not have the government in the marriage business anyway. Call gay or straight couples civil unions. Let the churches decide who to marry. It's a personal affair, not something that anyone has any right to point to another person's bedroom and say its wrong.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:25 PM

14,002 posts, read 7,323,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Oh, my. People really didn't realize that post #5 was satire? Really?
No, it wasn't satire (it was my post).

Perhaps you're talking about post #5 on a thread that was merged into this one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies