Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 02:50 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Oh, it will be challenged, don't worry.
And it will be laughed out of Court, and you'll already be on your 17th fake Obama outrage by then....LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 02:51 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Recess appointments are not in question here. Tradition holds that the Senate must be in a declared recess in order for the President to make a recess appointment. What Obama has done, in sum, is wait for a Senator to take a deep breath and 'declare' the Senate to be in recess. That's a damned dangerous arrogation of power. Frankly, I think it's borderline criminal.
You call it criminal, I call it excellent gamesmanship.

Everyone should pay careful attention to post #36. This is quoted from that post:

"The second session of the 112th Congress begins on Jan. 3. Before the new session can be gaveled in, the current session must end. Between the two sessions, even if just momentarily, Congress will be in a state of recess and the president has the authority to make recess appointments."

I applaud the president for reading the 'fine-print.'

Old 01-04-2012, 02:53 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Recess appointments are not the question NOW because we exposed your hypocrisy in this thread.

You wouldn't give a tinker's dam if some GOP President had done it.

It's legal....Go whine about something else your AM radio is going on about.
I'd be every bit as concerned if the shoe was on the other foot: When checks and balances go unrespected THE PEOPLE lose. This isn't a Democrat vs Republican issue. This is a government vs the governed issue.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:54 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

Yeah. Democracy and balanced government be damned. Mussolini would be patting you on the back for that post. Be proud.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:57 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Yeah. Democracy and balanced government be damned. Mussolini would be patting you on the back for that post. Be proud.

Read post #36. A recess is a recess.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:58 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
This IS your wake up call. Pay back is a ***** isn't it? I'm so glad you remember, since this is your goes around comes around moment, and yet like the head in the sand wingers on TV cackling you seem to be ambivalent to his & your actions.

i guess you didn't know that during the last years of the Bush administration the Dems in the Senate managed to make it to the chambers every three days or so, so as not to have a real recess going on. Well, yeah, you haven't heard about that. Dirty Harry didn't get that name for being honest while he was the minority floor leader.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:58 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

Everyone should pay careful attention to post #36. This is quoted from that post:

"The second session of the 112th Congress begins on Jan. 3. Before the new session can be gaveled in, the current session must end. Between the two sessions, even if just momentarily, Congress will be in a state of recess and the president has the authority to make recess appointments."

There is NO fine print in the Constitution.

Obama's Cordray Appointment Mocks The Constitution | Fox News
Quote:
...then-Obama Solicitor General Elena Kagan wrote to the Supreme Court on April 26, 2010: “Although a President may fill such vacancies through the use of his recess appointment power … the Senate may act to foreclose this option by declining to recess for more than two or three days at a time over a lengthy period. For example, the Senate did not recess intrasession for more than three days at a time for over a year beginning in late 2007.
Aaannnndddddddd, today is January 04.

Is anybody paying attention???.......

Old 01-04-2012, 03:01 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Quote:
I'd be every bit as concerned if the shoe was on the other foot: When checks and balances go unrespected THE PEOPLE lose. This isn't a Democrat vs Republican issue. This is a government vs the governed issue.
The only reason the GOP had a pro forma session was an attempt to block his ability to make recess appointments.....I"m sure you are really outraged by that?....LOL

It's sickening the hypocrisy displayed by Obama haters.

You actually hurt your own cause by whining and moaning about fake, bogus political stories you hear in the right wing media.

Then when Obama actually does break the law (which he has surely done) , and when he actually does take unconstitutional actions (which he has surely done) you have no credibility.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
"In a defiant display of executive power, President Barack Obama on Wednesday will “stick his thumb in the eye” of GOP opposition and name Richard Cordray as the nation’s chief consumer watchdog. Outraged Republican leaders in Congress suggested that courts would determine the appointment was illegal."

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/obama-uses-executive-authority-to-make-recess-appointment—while-congress-is-still-in-session/

This president just doesn't seem to care for our checks and balance system. Rules are really only for other people, especially when PaPa knows best.
And who is going to stop him..Congress ??????
ROFL at that one.

He can do what he wants and he knows it.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:05 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher
After today’s appointment, President Obama will have made a total of 29 recess appointments. By comparison, George W. Bush made 171 recess appointments; Bill Clinton made 139 recess appointments; George H.W. Bush made 77 recess appointments; and Ronald Reagan made 243. When you divide these numbers by the number of years each man spent in the White House, it reveals that Obama is far and away the least likely president to invoke this power:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana
After today’s appointment, President Obama will have made a total of 29 recess appointments. By comparison, George W. Bush made 171 recess appointments; Bill Clinton made 139 recess appointments; George H.W. Bush made 77 recess appointments; and Ronald Reagan made 243. When you divide these numbers by the number of years each man spent in the White House, it reveals that Obama is far and away the least likely president to invoke this power:
Nice apples, got any oranges?

How can ya'll NOT see the real issue?

Are your blinders on too tight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies