Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should states have the power to outlaw oral and anal sex?
Yes 19 10.05%
No 169 89.42%
Not sure 1 0.53%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 07:29 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
I don't happen to agree with the idea of a law to ban any type of sex, but i do agree that it's the states rights (the state of voters) to vote in a law if they want to. If I didn't agree with that typ eof law (which I don't) I'd move to another state.

So if your state allowed a business owner to refuse service to someone of your race that would be fine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 08:05 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Straight rights to what? Dictate that all others must be heterosexual or else? If there were a gay majority in USA they ought to be permitted to legally herd me into homosexuality??? Surely by their standards I'd be the embarrassment to the family- the black sheep Marilyn Munster.

If these individuals truly believed in God they'd let God & the individuals free will decide. I find it more than a little suspicious when they refuse that advice.
You can't be herded into homosexuality.

I'm gay and I truly believe in God. There are a lot of gay people that believe in God.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:12 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Did anyone come up with a plan for enforcing the sodomy law yet?

Old 01-06-2012, 08:15 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
So if your state allowed a business owner to refuse service to someone of your race that would be fine
I don't think it's OK for states to ban sodomy, but I actually do think it should be OK for a state to allow a business owner to refuse service to someone based on race. I would support laws in my state that prohibited it, but don't necessarily support federal law banning it.

The difference is what's constitutional and what's not - a state certainly doesn't have to mandate that private business owners don't discriminate, but its power over personal affairs is limited.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I don't think it's OK for states to ban sodomy, but I actually do think it should be OK for a state to allow a business owner to refuse service to someone based on race. I would support laws in my state that prohibited it, but don't necessarily support federal law banning it.

The difference is what's constitutional and what's not - a state certainly doesn't have to mandate that private business owners don't discriminate, but its power over personal affairs is limited.
Wow, that's freaky...

Old 01-06-2012, 08:17 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Did anyone come up with a plan for enforcing the sodomy law yet?
Lol, I know right?

Maybe we should take after Uganda, where police raid people's privates homes to accuse them of homosexuality and then gang-rape them and threaten to kill them if they stay, thereby forcing them to seek refuge in a foreign land.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Wow, that's freaky...
I don't think it's OK - I think state laws should step in and ban discrimination based on race, but I don't think states should be forced to have these laws. I don't like that federal law goes as far as it does and exercises so much control over private businesses, so I think state laws should handle this issue. However, I see no way a state could constitutionally be mandated to have such laws unless Congress wanted to withhold funding for something from states without these laws and I'm against federal funding for states anyway.

There isn't any comparison between a state not banning discrimination by a private business and a state banning sodomy.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 01-06-2012 at 08:27 AM..

Old 01-06-2012, 08:41 AM

Well, I cannot agree with you.

Racial discrimination is one of the things the federal government SHOULD be involved with.

We may be made up of 50 states, but we are still one country. We are talking about PEOPLE here, not guns or drugs; states can make their own laws about those types of things. I cannot imagine that a person from one state, visiting another, could be denied service because of that state's 'laws'.

Let's not take a running leap backwards.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Well, I cannot agree with you.

Racial discrimination is one of the things the federal government SHOULD be involved with.

We may be made up of 50 states, but we are still one country. We are talking about PEOPLE here, not guns or drugs; states can make their own laws about those types of things. I cannot imagine that a person from one state, visiting another, could be denied service because of that state's 'laws'.

Let's not take a running leap backwards.
Do you think any states would not outlaw racial discrimination, other than perhaps Mississippi? Honestly?

I don't think states should be allowed to discriminate themselves.

I simply think the federal government should not have a law banning private businesses from discriminating and that states should, but that they should not (and, really, cannot constitutionally) be forced to.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:43 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
ROFL! Ya, cuz the government doesn't LOVE trampling all over individual rights. LOL!
And this coming from someone who voted "yes" to this poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
See the hypocrisy then?
Plenty of it. See above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies