Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 03:31 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Besides the fact that it'd be an awkward question to ask whether or not you know the gay person in question well enough to ask, there is plenty of research out there proving the point that having homosexual tendencies is not a choice.
Having homosexual tendencies not being a choice is not the same as being "gay" which implies acting on those tendencies which is a choice. A lot of people have "tendencies" which they do not act on, choose not to act on because of legal and/or moral issues. I am sure there are people who felt they had homosexual tendencies but did not choose to act on them. An action involves "choice" unless you are being forced against your will or are mentally ill.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:38 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
The Battle Beneath the Battle: Do Gay People Exist? | Sexuality/Gender | Religion Dispatches

Where is the science saying that straight people didn't choose to be straight?
your opinion is proof of SUBTLE bigotry.

straight people's word about THEIR VERY SELVES is taken at face value but ours aren't.

it all boils down to that belief that everyone is born straight and that gay people don't actually exist. we are just DEVIATING from something, thusly gayness as an innate part of us isn't real, it's just made up by us. That's YOUR opinion. it's a form of covert bigotry
Oh, stop with that silly "B" word. It's way overused.
"Straight, straight, straight." The correct word is "regular" or "heterosexual."
And I don't use the word "gayness," I use the word "homosexuality."

All I said was that the studies and research don't agree 100% on the matter of the causes of homosexuality. I'm not really that concerned what causes it; I'm just grateful that I'm a hetero!

Old 01-12-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Are you speaking from experience?
Certainly not! You really shouldn't jump to conclusions about people you don't even know.

With so many beautiful women around, why would any regular male think also being attracted to other men is "a lot more fun" than just being attracted to women?

Old 01-12-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I believe everyone is born the same, straight, what happens to them to change that is the question. My opinion.
Watch out, your opinion is going to be dissected every which way! Every word, even every letter!

Old 01-12-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
More options
There are rational and irrational options.
With so many women around, there are more than enough options for any regular/conventional male.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:53 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,869,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
There are rational and irrational options.
With so many women around, there are more than enough options for any regular/conventional male.
Who said attraction was rational?

Old 01-12-2012, 04:03 PM

For the record I would never want to be 'straight' (or gay - no offence intended.) I am glad I am the way I am, as I would have missed out on so many experiences (both emotional and sexual). Us bisexuals (I suppose i'm pansexual/polysexual really but that just sounds anal) are in a unique position, i'm not bound by constraints and frankly I feel privileged to be this way. You will never know what you miss out on, not that you can help it or change it.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I believe everyone is born the same, straight, what happens to them to change that is the question. My opinion.
Well what you believe is flat out wrong and contradicted by evidence.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Who said attraction was rational?
I meant normal VS abnormal attraction.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:14 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,282 times
Quote:
that's the subtle bigotry. you assume because you are you everyone is born like you because you've only experienced being you.

sorry. never experienced being straight a day in my life. we're all born different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies