Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2012, 06:02 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,341,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
logic has nothing to do with it. I just was and always have been gay. the issue is with YOU since YOU are the one who has an 'issue' with it. it's not my fault that i'm gay if you don't like it take it up with whomever created me and be angry with that being or nature or God or whoever created me.
Logic and common sense has a lot to do with it, there is no true reason for being born Homosexual and there is no proof you are. You don't need to get all upset about my opinion on the matter, I have no issue or dislike about it I'm just expressing my opinion about the question asked.
There could be a number of things that cause a kid to get confused, maybe mom wanted a girl maybe she treated her boy as such, maybe the little girls made fun of Johnny and he was hurt by that or maybe he just was confused about his friendship with his friends, who knows for sure but a kids brain is a blank canvass and very impressionable.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:14 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,371,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Logic and common sense has a lot to do with it, there is no true reason for being born Homosexual and there is no proof you are. You don't need to get all upset about my opinion on the matter, I have no issue or dislike about it I'm just expressing my opinion about the question asked.
There could be a number of things that cause a kid to get confused, maybe mom wanted a girl maybe she treated her boy as such, maybe the little girls made fun of Johnny and he was hurt by that or maybe he just was confused about his friendship with his friends, who knows for sure but a kids brain is a blank canvass and very impressionable.
Clearly you aren't interested in knowing any facts as you completely ignore all the evidence-based information from reputable mainstream health/science sources in this thread and many other threads.

So yes, you re entitled to express your opinion, but it's obviously a willfully uninformed one. I'm curious about why some people want to remain uninformed, yet still express their opinions over and over again on the same topic. There is a word for that.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:44 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,453,144 times
Quote:
Why is it that when someone is heterosexual they know who they are and are psychologically stable and when a person is homosexual they're "confused" and were "probably hurt" and so on?

Don't you get it? Gay people know they are gay just as much as straight people know they are straight. Bi people know they are bi just as much as straight people know they are straight. That's the whole point of this thread.

There are plenty of heterosexuals out there who were hurt by their parents, neglected, abused, raped, etc. There are plenty of homosexuals and bisexuals out there with happy childhoods, loving parents, and fond memories.

Being gay has nothing to do with having been abused or not. If it did, then there wouldn't be a huge number of straight people who were abused walking around, and there are plenty of gay people who weren't abused walking around. Yes, the brain is impressionable and capable of re-wiring itself, but some things are wired at birth through genetics. And just because the environment may be a factor doesn't mean that genetics doesn't play a role or that being gay is a choice.

Why do people even try to convince themselves being gay is a choice to begin with? Usually it's because they believe being gay is wrong, gross, sinful, or whatever. But even that isn't a legitimate reason to justify being anti-gay.

In other words, even if being gay were a choice, what would it matter? Religion is a choice, and a choice that is usually quite a fundamental part of the person. Is that a reason to mistreat religious people? Should we deny religious people rights just because they chose their religion? Even if being gay were a choice, it would not justify conversion clinics, denial of rights, and the much more atrocious human rights violations that happen in other countries such as rape, torture, and public hanging.

The bottom line is that there is no reason that justifies mistreating gay people, no matter what you believe to be the cause of homosexuality.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
The bottom line is that there is no reason that justifies mistreating gay people, no matter what you believe to be the cause of homosexuality.
I never condoned mistreating anyone. I just replied with my opinion on the topic.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Clearly you aren't interested in knowing any facts as you completely ignore all the evidence-based information from reputable mainstream health/science sources in this thread and many other threads.

So yes, you re entitled to express your opinion, but it's obviously a willfully uninformed one. I'm curious about why some people want to remain uninformed, yet still express their opinions over and over again on the same topic. There is a word for that.
Clearly I can form my own opinion based on what I see and read and it is as valid as your opinion. No body can say for a fact a person is born Homosexual, there is no way to read a mind or any proof to stand on just opinions.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:35 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,763,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
More fun? Maybe to drag race with.
But for intimacy, no, not for me.

And I don't find men "gorgeous." If I were a female, then yes, I would.
Well, of course it isn't for you if you're straight. That's kind of the point. Gay men are attracted to other men, not women. We don't find women good for intimacy, because we're not attracted to them.

Why are you not able to grasp that the way you feel about women, is how gay men feel about men? The exact same biological, emotional, physical, etc. response that you feel when you see a beautiful woman, is how we feel over a great looking guy?

Old 01-13-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
If you're bisexual, you're bisexual. Not gay. Not straight. How could that be any more a choice than either of the other alternatives if they are not choices?
Bisexuality is not a choice either in terms of attractions. Bisexuals did not choose to find both sexes attractive, they just do. The only difference with Bisexuals vs. Gay and straight is bisexuals can choose their partner, be it a man or woman (depending on which sex they find more attractive since it's rarely a 50/50 split).

Old 01-13-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
There is plenty of evidence supporting orientation being biological. Just because you don't want to believe it (and I haven't the foggiest clue what you would be so adamant against opposing the idea) doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It requires a lack of logic to assume orientation is a choice. If it were a choice, those 15 years I spent trying to change it would have been a heck of lot less miserable, because at any moment, I could have switched to finding women attractive. Not even God was willing to make that one work, and yet you expect me to have the power to force myself to find something I'm not attracted to attractive?

Do you personally know any gay people? Have you ever sat down with them and gotten to know them as people and ask their story and what they've struggled with over being "different"? Try it sometime, it might actually get you to develop some compassion and empathy.

Quote:
My mom absolutely did not want a girl. She was thrilled to have a boy. My parents even suspected I was gay when I was 5 because I didn't act like other boys. Nothing in my childhood influenced me to be attracted to boys. I knew at a very very young age that I was "different", and yet I was raised just as typically as 99.99% of straight guys.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
There is plenty of evidence supporting orientation being biological. Just because you don't want to believe it (and I haven't the foggiest clue what you would be so adamant against opposing the idea) doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It requires a lack of logic to assume orientation is a choice. If it were a choice, those 15 years I spent trying to change it would have been a heck of lot less miserable, because at any moment, I could have switched to finding women attractive. Not even God was willing to make that one work, and yet you expect me to have the power to force myself to find something I'm not attracted to attractive?

Do you personally know any gay people? Have you ever sat down with them and gotten to know them as people and ask their story and what they've struggled with over being "different"? Try it sometime, it might actually get you to develop some compassion and empathy.

My mom absolutely did not want a girl. She was thrilled to have a boy. My parents even suspected I was gay when I was 5 because I didn't act like other boys. Nothing in my childhood influenced me to be attracted to boys. I knew at a very very young age that I was "different", and yet I was raised just as typically as 99.99% of straight guys.

Theres some theory and opinion but thats all it is, there is no evidence because you can't read minds.

Kids are busy playing and having fun, they are not thinking about Homosexuals unless someone or something put it in their head.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:32 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,082,096 times
could we have some links from well established medical facilities concluding that one is born as a homosexual???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.