Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 07:05 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
What a lot of people don't understand is that text books are way overpriced. A friend of mine just paid $290 for ONE TEXT BOOK. Please don't tell me that *somebody* isn't making a huge profit selling books that cost $2.98 to print and distribute for $290. It's just a way to gouge students who are required to buy a text book for a course.

20yrsinBranson
That's been going on for decades.
Couldn't that be solved best with e-books? Another thing I've noticed is the supersized cost of having access to archived research material to do term papers. I'd like to see a not for profit organization take over that function but be assisted by academia and sound business models to remain solvent long term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 07:10 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,097,108 times
Easy, raise taxes and print $$$ and let the government control it

Old 01-06-2012, 07:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Get rid of student loans altogether. No more "easy" money. Schools will have no choice but to lower tuition else they would have to start closing due to no more students.

Subsidized anything leads to higher prices because of the subsidization.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:18 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
A degree earned in Manila is worth what in the United States?
a college degree in america is the only thing that depreciates faster than a new car. check with employment sources but many institutions honor phillipino credentials. people also go to school in costa rico. outresourcing does not just apply to manufacturing. we consumers must also learn to play the game.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:35 PM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Tracking in HS. We see constant things like "US HS kids stink at geography." probably true but knowing where Glasgow is has little economic value to most truck drivers, electricians, and even many 4 years "professions"
Apprenticeships into skilled trades and semi skilled trades.
Make 2+2 degrees indistinguisable from the ones that go all 4 at the university.
Make profs teach instead of using their grad students. Many profs "research" stuff of little practical value.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:42 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
What a lot of people don't understand is that text books are way overpriced. A friend of mine just paid $290 for ONE TEXT BOOK. Please don't tell me that *somebody* isn't making a huge profit selling books that cost $2.98 to print and distribute for $290. It's just a way to gouge students who are required to buy a text book for a course.

20yrsinBranson
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
That's been going on for decades.
Couldn't that be solved best with e-books? Another thing I've noticed is the supersized cost of having access to archived research material to do term papers. I'd like to see a not for profit organization take over that function but be assisted by academia and sound business models to remain solvent long term.
Come on, you think the research, words, and illustrations/charts magically show up on the pages without some hard work of the authors? They dont deserve to be compensated for the hours and hours of work they put into these books?

Also, these are pretty limited run books that are usually only good for 2-3 years at best depending on the topic. Not that I think the prices couldn't be a little lower, but to say that they are making a huge profit on something that costs $3 to print...(which is probably way off because you need artists, typesetters, and editors involved not to mention shipping costs) is very disingenuous.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:54 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Those sport complexes generally bring in more money annually then the entire university does from tuition.

Food for thought.
This is true for the big football programs

Old 01-07-2012, 12:00 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,678 times
Quote:
Attend a good public University. Texas, California, Florida and NY have great public universities. I'm sure every state has it's outstanding public universities. Go to a community college and take your basic classes there...and then transfer them to your university of choice.

Unless you are going to be a surgeon, I can't see how one can rack up $100k in loans.

Texas A&M, for example, can cost $6k a year. Texas A&M is a highly respected University.
Everything you said.... plus, investigate grants and scholarships, take part time job either on or off campus. A lower class load (I took 12 credits usually per semester and worked at Pizza Hut 3 days a week delivering, graduated in 5 yrs with little debt at all)

Old 01-07-2012, 12:16 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Come on, you think the research, words, and illustrations/charts magically show up on the pages without some hard work of the authors? They dont deserve to be compensated for the hours and hours of work they put into these books?

Also, these are pretty limited run books that are usually only good for 2-3 years at best depending on the topic. Not that I think the prices couldn't be a little lower, but to say that they are making a huge profit on something that costs $3 to print...(which is probably way off because you need artists, typesetters, and editors involved not to mention shipping costs) is very disingenuous.
Your logic generally only applies to books teaching disciplines or parts of a discipline that are leading/cutting edge or dynamic and constantly changing. How do you justify a $200 book on English literature or calculus for, example, undergraduates? Open those books and the discussions and analyses of those topics are practically the same from year-to-year.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:17 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Attend a good public University. Texas, California, Florida and NY have great public universities. I'm sure every state has it's outstanding public universities. Go to a community college and take your basic classes there...and then transfer them to your university of choice.

Unless you are going to be a surgeon, I can't see how one can rack up $100k in loans.

Texas A&M, for example, can cost $6k a year. Texas A&M is a highly respected University.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies