Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 07:19 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times

Advertisements

No, Even if Obama did have an impeachable offense, Democratis in Congress would never go along with it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 07:23 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
"Aw man, we don't wanna let Obama make recess appointments. Who does he think he is? Any other president?"

"I know what we'll do! OK, so here's the plan: We're all going to leave Washington. We're going to go home to our families for the holidays. We're not going to show up for work. We're not going to vote on anything. We're not going to be around at all or conduct any business. But we'll SAY we aren't in recess, and then he won't be able to do it!"

"So let me get this straight - we won't be there, but we'll say we're there even though we're not there and we're not disputing that we're not actually there?"

"Totally!"

"Brilliant!"

Schoolyard BS.
It figures your comment comes from schoolyard mentality.

Maybe some need a refresher on American Government.

Congress was NOT in recess. Ask harry reid.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Don't Republicans get tired of always being on the wrong side of the issues? You impeached Clinton... that's all you are good at, ruining other people's good reputations with your over-reactions and lies. Wasn't Monica Lewinsky a Republican? There was nothing illegal done... Congress ended their session. Stop being Republican and uninformed. The session lasted 30 seconds and then the few people that bothered to attend went home. That's what your elected officials do. Please, you people really need to stop being so fire-brand... get a hold of yourselves. Shouldn't you be more worried about the DNAA... I mean, it basically authorizes every president after Obama to have their way with arresting and detaining American citizens. The Patriot Act? Common people, stop being so partisan and open your eyes. Stop trying to impeach presidents for stupid crap, Bush actually committed atrocities and lied about Iraq. Why are you people such sheep to the Fox?
I'll address a couple of your misinformed comments even though I know it is a waste of time.

Which side of issues is ALWAYS personal choice. The right could say the same thing about dems being on the wrong side.

Ruining people's good reputations? Give us a break. Ever hear of the term "Getting Borked"? Guess which party did that came from

How about, "Where do I go to get my reputation back?", John Tower.

Ever hear of Billy Dale? Which party does Carville, the snake, belong to? You know from "trailer trash" fame. I could go on and on but, you get the point, or don't.

And sorry, Monica Lewinsky ruined her own reputation. No republican or anyone else forced her to get on her knees. To try and blame republicans is the most lame accusation I have ever heard.

Again, sorry, Congress did NOT end the session. A procedure was implemented created by, wait for it Harry Reid.

Are you claiming when the dems do it it is OK but, when the repubs do it it is NOT OK?

And finally, "Bush lied". Why do so many of you ignore history? It is a pattern for most of you.

How many time do we have to post the all the quotes from the Clinton admin officials and all the dems who made ALL their statements BEFORE Bush ever came onto the scene.

And it can be counted on almost every time to bring up Fox as if it means something.

I have said enough to show that it is you who is not informed.

You now have the floor to dispute any of MY responses to your factless assertions.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:46 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Come on. You have to know that there is no way to impeach all those who are still alive because they haven't died yet. I merely said that the House should impeach him although the Senate will never throw him out.
You seriously thought they meant impeach ex-presidents, now? LOL!

And the line, "we can't impeach the living ones because they haven't died yet." Comic genius!

Old 01-07-2012, 07:50 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Haha if Obama is reelected, then moving to impeach him the next day would be giving the middle finger to the voters. Even the Republicans aren't that dumb.
"Even the Republicans aren't that dumb"

I don't know about that statement. They really seem to define the term. They are the biggest collection of uselessness I have ever seen gathered in one place!

Old 01-07-2012, 07:51 AM

I actually hope the repubs do nothing so the next time, hopefully real soon, we have a repub President they can do the same thing and watch the dems go berserk as they always do when they have done something and later the repubs do the same thing.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:57 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I actually hope the repubs do nothing so the next time, hopefully real soon, we have a repub President they can do the same thing and watch the dems go berserk as they always do when they have done something and later the repubs do the same thing.
We have a Democrat President and the Repugs go berserk as they always do when they have done something and later the Democrats do the same thing.

Bush did recess appointments.

As did most presidents.

Try: Impeach Obama, he doesn't wear a jacket in the Oval Office!

Impeach Obama he wears swim trunks.

Impeach Obama, he bought a purebred dog!

Old 01-07-2012, 09:01 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
According to Republican's doing what Obama did is well within the laws of the Constitution and Presidential authority.

Quote:
as the Bush Justice Department’s top constitutional lawyer's(Steven Bradbury & John Elwood) explained in 2010, the Senate cannot, as its Republican members now claim, prevent recess appointments by having a single senator pretend to do work for a few seconds every three days (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/14/AR2010101405441.htm - broken link). During such sham sessions, “no business can be conducted, and the Senate is not capable of acting on the president’s nominations. That means the Senate remains in ‘recess’ for purposes of the recess appointment power, despite the empty formalities of the individual senators who wield the gavel in pro forma sessions.”
Also as Republicans LOVE to attempt to quote the Federalist Papers and the Founding fathers in their "strict Constitutional interpretations" mantra, Alexander Hamilton wrote:

Quote:
Federalist No. 67, written by Alexander Hamilton, adds little to the intent of the
Recess Clause.3 He states that the “general mode” of appointing officers of the
United States required joint action by the President and the Senate, and that the
Recess Clause was “nothing more than a supplement ... for the purpose of establishing
an auxiliary method of appointment, in cases to which the general method was
inadequate.” It would have been improper, he said, to oblige the Senate “to be
continually in session for the appointment of officers, and as vacancies might happen
in their recess, which it might be necessary for the public service to fill without delay,
the succeeding clause is evidently intended to authorize the President, singly, to make
temporary appointments ‘during the recess of the Senate, by granting commissions
which shall expire at the end of their next session.’”
And FROM THE SENATE's OWN WEBSITE:

http://www.senate.gov/reference/reso...df/RL31112.pdf

Quote:
Subsequent opinions from the Attorney General agreed that significant
interruptions in the middle of a session could justify the President’s use of the recess
appointment power. According to an opinion in 1960, a temporary recess of the
Senate, “protracted enough to prevent that body from performing its functions of
advising and consenting to executive nominations,” permits the President to make
recess appointments.16 Following this interpretation, the Senate’s adjournment from
July 3 to August 8 in 1960 constituted a “Recess of the Senate.”17
The Senate 'pro forma' sessions have been meeting for less than 1 minute. There is no business occurring within the Senate and the President was within his power. Unless, Conservatives and 'Strict Constitutionalists' want to argue now w/ a founding father's exact words.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:03 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Stack this unconstitutional set of appointments on the other things he has done that were just as unconstitutional and surely it gets heavy enough to impeach him with.

If the Congress keeps backing away from him he will have their irrelevance proven and will not have to depend on them for anything. Plenty of proof that the Senate wasn't in recess long enough, formally speaking but so far they have backed off.

Newt said many years ago that if you go into the Senate cloakroom and say Mr. President every head in there would turn since they all consider themselves to be future Presidents. I don't think many of them feel like that these days.

Can Republicans Impeach Obama Over Recess Appointment? – Patriot Update
The answer is No. But by all means keep trying to find other ways to remove Obama without beating him fair and square in an election, which we know the GOP will fail to do in 2012.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:26 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,191,946 times
Quote:
Stack this unconstitutional set of appointments on the other things he has done that were just as unconstitutional and surely it gets heavy enough to impeach him with.

If the Congress keeps backing away from him he will have their irrelevance proven and will not have to depend on them for anything. Plenty of proof that the Senate wasn't in recess long enough, formally speaking but so far they have backed off.

Newt said many years ago that if you go into the Senate cloakroom and say Mr. President every head in there would turn since they all consider themselves to be future Presidents. I don't think many of them feel like that these days.

Can Republicans Impeach Obama Over Recess Appointment? – Patriot Update
He did the same thing that many other Presidents did? Hmm, yes impeach him. I bet you weren't writing posts when W did this.

Does that blog give you your opinion every day or just today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies