Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 11:40 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Boy you are really trying hard not to see the truth.

Mestizos are mixed race Hispanics. La Raza specifically states that is who they represent.
Looks like the leadership of La Raza are overwhelmingly white:

National Council of La Raza | NCLR Executive Staff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 09:55 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Looks like the leadership of La Raza are overwhelmingly white:

National Council of La Raza | NCLR Executive Staff
I don't think they look white no pale skin or blue eyes. At least that's how white people are described. From thier observation, whites only have blue eyes, not green or brown.

So, I wonder, if their supporters would send them back to Europe also.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:56 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
The link was previously posted. 2nd paragraph. I guess you choose not to read it.

Plus I was a La Raza and La Mecha member in High School and college during the late 1970's and early 80's.
Your saying you were in high school. What changed your mind about the organization to leave it?

Old 01-08-2012, 10:40 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Mexicans in Arizona predate the arrival of white folks.
And how many Mexican citizens were in Arizona before "white" people showed up?

Don't forget, there were Indians in Arizona whose land was stolen by the conquistadors coming up from Mexico.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
LOL at the Arizona GOP. Do they think they can keep these kids in the dark about their culture and history? And somehow, the state will benefit?

Only in a red state would ignorance be considered a virtue.

Arizona to withhold funding for Mexican American studies program - latimes.com
Arizona is right on the border -- there is nothing at all stopping these students from going back to their own country and learning their history and culture there. In fact Mexco's universities teach a far more accurate history of that country, these Aztlan studies are fake history.

Just like any country's culture and history is best learned by actually going to that country and studying and seeing it first hand, it's no different for Mexico.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:53 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,030 times
Quote:
LOL at the Arizona GOP. Do they think they can keep these kids in the dark about their culture and history? And somehow, the state will benefit?

Only in a red state would ignorance be considered a virtue.
You are ignorant of the facts perhaps?

These jerks were trying to teach the kids that people like Ben Franklin were racists when in fact he was an abolitionist.
The so called program and it's materials should be reviewed before it infects a student's mind.
You shouldn't be able to throw any prejudice you want against a view of history if it is inaccurate. At least if you do that it should be done as an individual that is no being paid as a teacher.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:04 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,288,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Arizona is right on the border -- there is nothing at all stopping these students from going back to their own country and learning their history and culture there.
How do you know these kids are from Mexico? No Hispanic kids are American?

Nice generalizations you have there.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post

Either way. I'm not hispanic but I went to Mexico to learn the language, culture, history and more.

Aztlan studies in the USA are nothing but a joke and should be defunded. There is nothing wrong with wanting to learn about foreign cultures but so close to that country makes it very convenient to just sign up for some courses over there.

I would say the same thing if someone wanted to learn Canadian culture and history - the best way would be to simply take a couple semesters and study in a university there especially if you lived in one of the border states.

College is a great time to explore and travel, spend some time in other countries really learning other cultures and languages. Not some fake made up stuff but the real thing.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post

And you're implying that the hispanic who is American doesn't want to learn US history or it's culture and language.

There is US history and there is Mexican history. In Mexico you can learn it from the Mexican point of view, in the US you learn it from the USA point of view. There is absolutely no reason Mexican universities should teach the American point of view and vice versa.

I know first hand that the Mexican point of view is actually fair enough - they also know the inadequacies of their own government in those days and bring that up. They also don't teach that Arizona was once a state in Mexico as it never was, it was mostly uninhabited territory.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:19 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,140 times
Quote:
Do they think they can keep these kids in the dark about their culture and history?
This is senseless statement. The idea that people can only learn about their culture via a high school class is unfounded and a slap in the face to many people.

While you may disagree with the Arizona ruling, they are not keeping anyone in the closet about their culture and history. People are still free to learn about any culture and history they want. However, the contention is whether or not "divisive" programs should be funded with taxpayers money.

While I may be an anomaly, I have learned more about different cultures on my own than I ever did through a high school class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies