Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 03:05 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
You can always count on conservatives to root for failure.

Quite a juvenile post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I read within your "moniker" that you might be a Harley Davidson owner?
Yep.

Quote:
I agree with the notion that if you're going to throw taxpayer money at a private corporation you'd better set some rigid stipulations that go with it and DEMAND a payback on a one-to-one basis with interest.

Better yet, don't get government involved at all. Bailouts for companies is the cornerstone of Crony Capitalism. It ALWAYS rewards a few buddies at the expense of taxpayers.

Why should Ford have to compete against companies who have transferred their business risk to the taxpayers. That's unfair competition. That's Crony Capitalism.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Obama did the same thing as any other president would do.
No, he didn't. Ron Paul would not have bailed out GM.

Quote:
Had you any real money invested in the stock market or anything to lose, you'd care about that action.
I have quite a large portfolio. But I don't expect the government to bail out companies that I invest in, or to bail out companies that compete with companies I invest in. That's Crony Capitalism.

Quote:
Getting rid of a few hundred thousand jobs during the Great Recession would have been a horrible idea.
I agree. And it would not have happened. The demand for automobiles would require that some other company hire those skilled workers.

Quote:
Incidentally, Forbes list includes a Mercedes S550. You can't afford one and you'll never drive one, but it's far, far from a bad car.
Your ignorance is exposed by making such statements without knowing anything about me. I actually own TWO Mercedes.

Quote:
Had W bailed this company out, you'd be talking about how important a thing it was. Nothing to see here. Just RoadQueen, another partisan whining about things he or she doesn't understand.
No, I have never supported bailouts. Once again your ignorance or lack of maturity is exposed by your ignorant post. You know nothing about me, so you should stop posting now and limit exposing your ignorance even further.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I was opposed to the government's bailout of the automotive industry but I sure would have been bummed if the Corvette disappeared...
It wouldn't have. Somebody would have picked it up. These things happen all the time.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
. I wonder where conservatives were hiding when President Wilson built entire factories for Ford, at taxpayers expense.

I wasn't born then..... but I would have opposed that form of Crony Capitalism.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:21 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Our tax dollars were totally wasted by Obama on this one. Not only did our money not help the economy, but GM now has the worst cars and had the worst performing stock of any car company last year.

This is Crony Capitalism at its worst. This is what OWS should have been protesting. GM should have been allowed to fail. Government should never be allowed to bail out our leaders cronies.

"Perhaps most surprising is that General Motors was the worst-performing auto stock of the year. "

2011's Worst Auto Stocks (CTB, F, GM, HMC, TEN, TM, TTM)

Cadillac Escalade, Chevrolet Aveo and Chevrolet Colorado are named some of the worst cars on the road today based on their safety and durability performance.

Three GM Cars Rated Among Worst In Safety, Durability | HULIQ

Thank goodness we put up $80 billion to bail out GM and Chrysler. They are now building such wonderful cars that they have achieved total dominance of the Forbes "Worst Cars on the Road" list, which we could also call the "Bottom Eleven."
GM and Chrysler account for nine of the cars among the bottom eleven. IN other news, the UAW is grateful for your generosity in keeping their union from disappearing. It appears you've achieved little else with your donation.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: GM, Chrysler dominate 'worst cars' list. Oh, and the UAW wants to thank you for bailing them out. | David Freddoso | Beltway Confidential | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/04/gm-chrysler-dominate-worst-cars-list-oh-and-uaw-wants-thank-you-b#ixzz1imII3g9M - broken link)
I think that GM should have been allowed to fail, declare bankruptcy, or break up into smaller pieces.

But, I say that knowing full well that it would put a LOT of people out of business. Not just from GM themselves, but all of the smaller businesses that serve GM, make after market parts, etc. A lot of folks would feel a GM bankruptcy, a lot.

But, GM is doing better, they are making money, and will limp along. But a failure will happen, sooner or later.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:44 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
GM, Ford, Chrysler, these are government companies, built & bankrolled by USA government (literally) at the tune of hundreds of billions (in current prices) since WWI. Take government $ out, and it's not clear whether or not we would remember these three names.
the government had to buy their vehicles from somewhere.

Quote:
I wonder where conservatives were hiding when President Wilson built entire factories for Ford, at taxpayers expense.
you have proof of this?

Old 01-08-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think that GM should have been allowed to fail, declare bankruptcy, or break up into smaller pieces.

But, I say that knowing full well that it would put a LOT of people out of business. Not just from GM themselves, but all of the smaller businesses that serve GM, make after market parts, etc. A lot of folks would feel a GM bankruptcy, a lot.

But, GM is doing better, they are making money, and will limp along. But a failure will happen, sooner or later.
you forget that gm DID declare bankruptcy. they wanted to reorganize, and needed the protection from their creditors that bankruptcy reorganization allowed for, but the obama administration stepped with a prepackaged bankruptcy and stole the company from the rightful owners, rather than let gm and chrysler go through a proper reorganization.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:14 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,584,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the government had to buy their vehicles from somewhere.

you have proof of this?
World War I Eagle Boats Were Manufactured at the Rouge

Willow Run - Michigan Historical Museum's Arsenal of Democracy Gallery
US Government Pays $11 Million to Ford for Historic Rouge Complex Cleanup

US Government Pays $11 Million to Ford for Historic Rouge Complex Cleanup - Carscoop

Old 01-08-2012, 05:26 PM

so ford actually built the river rouge plant to build automobiles, but the government contracted them to build boats there. sorry but that doesnt mean that the government paid ford to build the plant, so you fail on that count.

the government contracted ford to build the willow run plant to build airplanes. on the surface it does sound like the government paid to build the plant, but it was a necessary deal because they needed the B24, and ford did not have a plant available to produce the bomber, thus i will give you a pass on that.

the third one was a result of a lawsuit against the government for clean up of the river rouge plant as a result of boats being built there during world war one.

over all you have failed to prove that the wilson administration paid ford to build ANY factories, and the FDR administration did so because they needed the war materials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies