U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-07-2012, 01:00 PM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,530,793 times
Reputation: 9363

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
So you say I have the RIGHT to exist regardless of my success in selling my wage slaving arse to owners of means in this country? You think North Korean cannot "pursue happiness"? Really? You think that starving Africans displaced by American Agrobiz & commodity traders don't have right for "life" in your moronic definition? They have an "opportunity" to sell their arses to plantation owners but they do NOT have the RIGHT for life, neither do you. Liberty, that BS is so abstract, it is virtually meaningless outside of stirring up emotions.

You need to give plantation founding fathers their dues, they didn't promise any specific rights you can actually define (to everybody's satisfaction) and measure. 18 century propaganda was just as good as the 21st century one.
Thats because so many liberals dont understand the fact that the Constitution is a charter of NEGATIVE liberties, not positive ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2012, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Hinckley Ohio
6,722 posts, read 4,433,604 times
Reputation: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Does Tiger Woods and his ex-wife pay fuel and property taxes? I bet they do..

As I said.. nonsense... typical left wing babble..
The point is EVERYONE pays taxes, not just the owners of this country's wealthy, the owners of this country's debt also pay taxes. You wingnuts like to point, with envy?, at the 50% that don't pay federal income taxes. How convenient that you ignore all the other taxes they do pay. You must really hate America, your disdain for its citizens is palatable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Old Town Alexandria
14,505 posts, read 23,788,374 times
Reputation: 8838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
How many people does it take to demolish a mansion? 10? Build one. 20? What is union scale for construction workers assuming union laborers are used? ~60/hr.? What would the total cost of the demolition/rebuild to Elin Nordegrad, including architects, permits, and other costs? ~1M? 2M? More to the point, would there be any significant effect on the yawning opportunity gap by this one act of noblesse oblige. About the only argument used to defend the rich is this one: that they produce jobs. It takes a real suspension of disbelief to buy that one in light of all the unemployment. At a time when taxes on the wealthy have never been lower. Hmmm.

H
Unemployment is a harsh reality. The middle class poor in America wld rather pretend they are doing well.. DENIAL


There's a black man with a black cat
Livin' in a black neighborhood
He's got an interstate runnin' through his front yard
You know he thinks that he's got it so good

And there's a woman in the kitchen
Cleanin' up evenin' slop
And he looks at her and says, "Hey darlin'
I can remember when you could stop a clock"

Oh, but ain't that America for you and me
Ain't that America somethin' to see baby
Ain't that America home of the free, yeah
Little pink houses for you and me
Oh yeah for you and me, oh

Well there's a young man in a T-shirt
Listenin' to a rock 'n' rollin' station
He's got a greasy hair, greasy smile
He says, "Lord this must be my destination"

'Cause they told me when I was younger
Said, "Boy you're gonna be President"
But just like everything else those old crazy dreams
Just kinda came and went

[ From: PINK HOUSES Lyrics - JOHN MELLENCAMP ]
Oh, but ain't that America for you and me
Ain't that America somethin' to see baby
Ain't that America home of the free, yeah
Little pink houses for you and me
Oh built baby for you and me

Well there's people and more people
What do they know, know, know?
Go to work in some high rise
And vacation down at the Gulf of Mexico, ooo yeah

And there's winners and there's losers
But they ain't no big deal
'Cause the simple man baby pays the thrills
The bills, the pills that kill

Oh, but ain't that America for you and me
Ain't that America somethin' to see baby
Ain't that America home of the free, yeah
Little pink houses for you and me, ooo
Ooo yeah

Ain't that America for you and me
Ain't that America hey with somethin' to see baby
Ain't that America oh, the home of the free, ooo yeah yeah yeah
Little pink houses made for you and me

Ooo yeah, ooo yeah

~~John Cougar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Between Heaven And Hell.
11,240 posts, read 7,517,338 times
Reputation: 14489
Just as a foot note from little old me, I pose these questions.

What is the difference between taxation and theft?

Do any of you think it OK, to take from someone that you assume to have more than you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 01:53 PM
 
6,226 posts, read 6,849,644 times
Reputation: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
if knowing the difference between the pursuit of happiness, and a right to be hapy, makes me far right, then so be it. How does any of the books you are suggesting support the theories that giving your money to the government, increases employment
Google the book I suggested. Some cultures the government squashed the people, some the wealthy, others they both did. But make no mistake, when the middle class, the majority, is made poor or severely squeezed by governments and the wealthy investment class that government will always fail, always. I will say I've read of no large society where the people held all the wealth, payed no tax and without any form of government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 01:56 PM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,530,793 times
Reputation: 9363
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
The point is EVERYONE pays taxes, not just the owners of this country's wealthy, the owners of this country's debt also pay taxes.
So why do you spend so much time attacking people who are obviously paying taxes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
You wingnuts like to point, with envy?, at the 50% that don't pay federal income taxes. How convenient that you ignore all the other taxes they do pay. You must really hate America, your disdain for its citizens is palatable.
FAIL.. If I give you $10,000 a year in welfare, and then you pay taxes out of it, are YOU really paying the tax, or am I?

YOU are the one who hates america, as evidence by the fact YOU created a stupid thread like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 01:57 PM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,530,793 times
Reputation: 9363
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Google the book I suggested. Some cultures the government squashed the people, some the wealthy, others they both did. But make no mistake, when the middle class, the majority, is made poor or severely squeezed by governments and the wealthy investment class that government will always fail, always. I will say I've read of no large society where the people held all the wealth, payed no tax and without any form of government.
Thats because you've heard of no socity where the wealthy paid no taxes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 14,223,843 times
Reputation: 4563
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
But make no mistake, when the middle class, the majority, is made poor or severely squeezed by governments and the wealthy investment class that government will always fail, always. I will say I've read of no large society where the people held all the wealth, payed no tax and without any form of government.
Who is advocating any of that? In fact, conservatives favor lower taxes for the middle class as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 02:17 PM
 
5,532 posts, read 5,981,930 times
Reputation: 3155
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
The money they spend, in turn, creates employment.
Same Fairy Tales Again and Again.

1) Tiger burned a fortune on chicks (well, you may call that employment)
2) For $12m you can employ a thousand folks.
3) Some people gamble, use dope, hire expensive prostitutes (Charlie Sheen paid one girl $16,000 for a night) or buy expensive toys like a Veryon for $1.5m.
4) Others invest (gamble) on wall street, betting on the price of commodities or raising the price of gas at the pump.

Does that = employment?

Personally, I have nothing against people doing what they want with their "hard earned" money (like in the case of Tiger's ex wife) but lets be clear about the facts.
However, this theory of "creating jobs" can be easily put at test: the accumulated wealth in the US today is unparalleled in history. According to "the theory", we should have had higher that ever demand for workers! But reality speaks for itself.

P.S. Another "hard worker", Paris Hilton, received a Lexus LFA as birthday present from her boyfriend (I have no idea if he is still her boyfriend). Cost? just $375,000. I doubt she can even drive the beast.

Last edited by oberon_1; 01-07-2012 at 02:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 02:24 PM
 
6,156 posts, read 4,152,305 times
Reputation: 1513
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Same Fairy Tales Again and Again.

1) Tiger burned a fortune on chicks (well, you may call that employment)
2) For $12m you can employ a thousand folks.
3) Some people gamble, use dope, hire expensive prostitutes (Charlie Sheen paid one girl $16,000 for a night) or buy expensive toys like a Veryon for $1.5m.
4) Others invest (gamble) on wall street, betting on the price of commodities or raising the price of gas at the pump.

Does that = employment?
Um, yes? Except for number 4. Every dollar spent in the private sector equals employment. What did Tiger's chicks spend that money on? What did Charlie Sheen's hooker do with that $16,000? Why do you choose to ignore the rest of the flow of that money and only focus on that one particular transaction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
P.S. Another "hard worker", Paris Hilton, received a Lexus LFA as birthday present from her boyfriend (I have no idea if he is still her boyfriend). Cost? Only $375,000. I doubt she can even drive that beast.
I hate Paris Hilton probably more than you do, but it's an emotional position to take when you start judging who "deserves" what. Good for her. Hope she spends it all. That's more for everyone else and less for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top