Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 10:44 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I am completely mystified by the phenomenon of working class people cheering the removal of government protections and the dissolution of unions that have helped provide the middle class lifestyle they enjoy... And why? Because they are jealous that the other guy may get something they don't?

Doesn't make a lick of sense. Another example of Fox-loving middle class republicans voting against their own interest.
No it doesn't. Republicans, for the most part, don't believe that workers should have any rights whatsoever. I mean, how else can you explain the fact that they have been opposed to every single protection for workers since at least the 1920s? Their hatred for working people--while claiming to support them--is despicable.

I mean, do you honestly believe that your boss actually cares about you or your family? Of course not! He's looking out for the bottom line. (It's capitalism. It is what it is) This will tempt even the most virtuous CEO's to cut corners on safety, and support for their employees.

Of course unions can go too far too, but I see union/boss relations like checks and balances. They hold each other in check to make sure there aren't any abuses on either side. Republicans have--for decades--been consistent their desire to remove any protection for workers whatsoever, and if they could get away with it, would abolish the right to unionize in the first place.

Reason I don't vote Republican # 789
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 10:44 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,185 times
Quote:
I am completely mystified by the phenomenon of working class people cheering the removal of government protections and the dissolution of unions that have helped provide the middle class lifestyle they enjoy... And why? Because they are jealous that the other guy may get something they don't?

Doesn't make a lick of sense. Another example of Fox-loving middle class republicans voting against their own interest.
Unions protecting worker rights is a crock ... Unions are destroying the American manufacturing industry and bankrupting companies and municipalities with outrageous pay and benefit packages. The managements are a corrupt as they come and pay-off the corrupt politicians to get what they want. They also dumb down the individual worker and general unionized workforce by removing incentives to excel in skills and knowledge.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:45 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
So...you think people should be FORCED to join a union?
So you think people should be forced to lose collective bargaining rights via right-to-work laws?

No one forces anyone to join a union anywhere. If you don't want to work at a union shop, don't work there.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:46 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:

Take a look at your precious union apparatus. NOTHING more than an arm of the democrat party, inflating salaries, benefits, engaging in disgusting and corrupt work practices, increasing the COST of doing business so much that companies find moving off shore worth the cost.

The unions USED to be FOR and represent the middle class. That is no longer true. They now represent one party only AND their own power..

The ONLY thing a right to work law hurts is the union corruption, apparatus and the democrat party of course. Those grossly inflated salaries and other abuses we are so fond of hearing about benefit the structure at the top, not the workers at the bottom.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Unions protecting worker rights is a crock ... Unions are destroying the American manufacturing industry and bankrupting companies and municipalities with outrageous pay and benefit packages. The managements are a corrupt as they come and pay-off the corrupt politicians to get what they want. They also dumb down the individual worker and general unionized workforce by removing incentives to excel in skills and knowledge.
Unions balance the power between corporations and the workers.

Two sides sign a contract. The employers are welcome to not sign any contract that they deem outrageous re: pay and benefits.

My brother has been a unionized teacher for 10 years. I make 4x what he does in the private sector.

If there is corruption on either side, people should and do go to jail. Why would anyone who works want their employer to have ALL the power over them in the relationship.

Again, more people speaking against their own interests because -- God forbid-- someone else might get something they don't have.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:49 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
So you think people should be forced to lose collective bargaining rights via right-to-work laws?

No one forces anyone to join a union anywhere. If you don't want to work at a union shop, don't work there.
So if you live in a non right to work state, you have to move to another state to get a job if you don't want to join a union? If you don't want to PAY dues to a union for the express purpose of funneling money to the democrat party?

How do you explain all those public sector union members in Indiana that have chosen to STOP paying dues after Daniels GAVE them the choice?

I thought the Left was all about CHOICE.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Take a look at your precious union apparatus. NOTHING more than an arm of the democrat party, inflating salaries, benefits,
I know you prefer people (who aren't you) don't make enough to raise a family right? All jobs should be $9 an hour? It is better now that it takes two parents working and three incomes to raise a family?

Quote:
The unions USED to be FOR and represent the middle class. That is no longer true. They now represent one party only.

The ONLY thing a right to work law hurts is the union corruption, apparatus and the democrat party of course.
So basically you are against unions because members don't vote for your political heros? Got ya.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:51 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,169 times
[quote=mlassoff;22437887]I am completely mystified by the phenomenon of working class people cheering the removal of government protections and the dissolution of unions that have helped provide the middle class lifestyle they enjoy... And why? Because they are jealous that the other guy may get something they don't?

Doesn't make a lick of sense. Another example of Fox-loving middle class republicans voting against their own interest. not all unions only the public unions you should clarified that. misinformation of the ignorant is the democrats only chance to win this election.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
So if you live in a non right to work state, you have to move to another state to get a job if you don't want to join a union? If you don't want to PAY dues to a union for the express purpose of funneling money to the democrat party?
What are you talking about? If you live in a non-right to work state (like I do) you can simply take a non-union position. I don't belong to a union. I own a company. My employees are non-unionized.

If you don't like where your union spends it's money you can vote with your feet and leave the union, run for union leadership, etc.

But to deplore the union, when the union is the only thing preventing your job becoming a $9 an hour commodity or being shipped to India makes little sense. To do it because they aren't voting for your political heros is asinine.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:54 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,134,034 times
Quote:

The needs of the most should never be compromised for the needs of the few. I agree with your facts 100%. For the people, by the people. Not for the super rich who export our wealth, soon to be theirs, to communist third world nations for extremely low wages, no regulation so that those products can be sold back to us using our soon to be low wage and zero benefits at the behest of low pay, mostly southern State, a play on the English language "Right to Work" aka "Right to Exploit mentality in which I myself live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies