Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 05:30 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
Sniping uneducated, untrained, and illiterate insurgents isn't really brave nor is it anything to be proud about.
Out of curiosity (and despite having a pretty good idea of your response should you choose to answer honestly) have you ever been in combat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 05:33 PM

26 posts, read 42,004 times
Quote:
Sniping uneducated, untrained, and illiterate insurgents isn't really brave nor is it anything to be proud about.
YA! The ones with the College Degrees are the dangerous ones,

Old 01-07-2012, 05:40 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,668 times
It's not that he just didn't like what he was saying. He had told Ventura the family was there. Ventura kept running his mouth and insulted the family by essentially saying it was a good thing their child had died. I can't imagine the pain that caused that family. What would you have done if someone like Ventura said it was a good thing your child had died. While I don't advocate physical violence due to an insult, it went much deeper than that, and I am personally glad it happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Really?

My direct question to you is, when does it become acceptable, possibly even commendable, to physically assault someone because you don't like what they are saying?

Old 01-07-2012, 05:47 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
It becomes acceptable when the person you're assaulting refuses to accept multiple warnings that their ill timed comments are offensive to those mourning the loss of a loved one.

Ventura, despite a good deal of evidence showing he has never personally seen combat, publicizes himself as a member of the unconventional warfare community. He chose to ignore the rules and customs of that community and run his mouth with no regard to how his words effected grieving family members. He got off lucky for having run his mouth.

Here's a question for you; How would you feel if an outsider that claimed to be a part of your family showed up at a wake honoring one of your loved ones and proceeded to start insulting the recently departed?

Actions and words have consequences. Based on Ventura's claims he should have possessed few illusions about the events that would likely follow his poorly thought out comments. Disputing the validity of a war is one thing. Dishonoring a SEAL who died in the war is another thing entirely.

There is a time and a place for everything. Ventura's timing sucked and as as result of that he received a much needed punch in the face.
Many Muslims are offended by comments made about Mohammed. Are they justified in physically assaulting those that make the comments?

I would feel like punching the ****er in the face, were it my family member.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:54 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,585,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Out of curiosity (and despite having a pretty good idea of your response should you choose to answer honestly) have you ever been in combat?
Should a guy brag about 160 UNUNIFORMED corpses of all sexes and ages he couldn't possibly identify as "insurgents" 100% while looking down a sniper scope? I wouldn't feel at ease around the guy who killed 160 people in a LOW INTENSITY ASYMMETRICAL war. It wasn't Stalingrad, to put it mildly, and the best of the Soviet & German snipers didn't have 160 kills over the ENTIRE 4 years of the savagely brutal war. No reflections, no doubts, no sorrows just craving for publicity. The guy needs professional help, period. At least American pilots who massacred thousands of Iraqi troops who were withdrawing from Kuwait on February 26th 1991 in compliance with UN resolutions had human decency not to bask themselves in media glory after the war crimes they committed.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Many Muslims are offended by comments made about Mohammed. Are they justified in physically assaulting those that make the comments?

I would feel like punching the ****er in the face, were it my family member.
Justification is one thing. Reality is another. Based on Ventura's self acclaimed accomplishments he should have had few illusions about the events his actions were likely to cause.

I'll stick with my earlier statement that he got what was coming to him. In fact, I'll elaborate on that and say he got off lucky.

The Muslim issue has nothing to do with this. Ventura personally insulted the memory of a recently departed loved one in the presence of their family members and teammates. Attempting to compare that to a religious dispute is disingenuous at best.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:02 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Default Why did the Navy SEAL knock Jesse Ventura down?

Probably because he deserved it, Jesse Ventura is a blow hard.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:03 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,210 times
Quote:
Under which rock have you been spending your time?

Many of them have been to one of Al Queda's training camps. Perhaps, not trained as well as our guys, but certainly trained to kill. But, suppose a high school dropout invades your home, wounds you with a "saturday night special", then rapes and kills your girlfriend, before making off with anything of value he can find... Don't bother calling 911... It's OK. He's a high school dropout, so he's uneducated, right?

Old 01-07-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Should a guy brag about 160 UNUNIFORMED corpses of all sexes and ages he couldn't possibly identify as "insurgents" 100% while looking down a sniper scope? I wouldn't feel at ease around the guy who killed 160 people in a LOW INTENSITY ASYMMETRICAL war. It wasn't Stalingrad, to put it mildly, and the best of the Soviet & German snipers didn't have 160 kills over the ENTIRE 4 years of the savagely brutal war. No reflections, no doubts, no sorrows just craving for publicity. The guy needs professional help, period. At least American pilots who massacred thousands of Iraqi troops who were withdrawing from Kuwait on February 26th 1991 in compliance with UN resolutions had human decency not to bask themselves in media glory after the war crimes they committed.
Where was he bragging about his numbers? Facts are facts, numbers are numbers. The SEAL wasn't courting publicity.

His war record has nothing to do with what happened in the bar. If you want to start a thread berating the records of veterans knock yourself out.

Whether or not you personally view a conflict as valid does nothing to diminish the efforts, risks, sacrifices, and valor of those that actually participated in the conflict.

I'll ask my earlier question again; have you ever been in combat? Have you ever watched a good friend bleed out in your arms? Have you ever tried to crawl into a golf ball sized hole to get out of the way of incoming fire? Have you ever lived with the dreams those experiences bring once you returned to the civilian world?

Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines don't determine the conflicts they're sent in to. Those are determined by cowardly politicians. The risks, efforts, and sacrifices of those that possess far more courage than a critical poster on this board will ever possess are not deserving of your condemnation. The vast majority of those critical posters have in no way earned the right to offer that criticism.

If you have no personal combat experience you're little better than an armchair quarterback. With regard to your inaccurate assertion regarding Soviet and German snipers Vasily Zaytsev made 242 confirmed kills between October 1942 and January 1943. His numbers were high but not unheard of. Simo Hayha had 705 confirmed kills in under 100 days.

Last edited by outbacknv; 01-07-2012 at 06:24 PM..

Old 01-07-2012, 06:12 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
When is the last time you were a sniper? When is the last time you were pinned down by an enemy sniper? For that matter, when is the last time you were in any kind of war?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies