Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 08:23 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Strange that almost zero of the responses have focused on the humor about being white, and have mostly discussed a perceived unfairness in giving Hispanics advantages that whites don't get.

What about the comedy routine? I, as a white person, find it funny and true about privileges whites take for granted or don't even notice, although I don't really expect some dire retribution as the balance in numbers shifts away from a white majority.

Also, the comic is of Hungarian descent as well as Mexican, and he speaks as a white person having had that upbringing and life. Whether or not Hispanics dislike white people I cannot say, but this man's schtick on white people is not being delivered by a cultural Hispanic.
Still -- that 25% Mexican ancestry can get him in on affirmative action benefits unlike someone who doesn't claim any. It is about him -- he as a hispanic has advantages "whites" don't have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 12:11 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
True and honestly anyone can join people in this game because only American Indians have to have documentation of their racial/ethnic classification. Anyone else can simply claim to be hispanic whether or not it's true. If Cameron Diaz, Albeto Fujimori, Zoe Saldana, and Benjamin Bratt (note the nonSpanish surname) can all claim to be hispanic frankly anyone can.
You can't.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:17 PM

674 posts, read 698,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
You can't.
Are you claiming that I as an individual can't or that no non-hispanic can? And on what basis do you make that claim?

Old 01-08-2012, 03:31 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
Are you claiming that I as an individual can't or that no non-hispanic can? And on what basis do you make that claim?
The latter. And you are obviously non-Hispanic.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:44 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Strange that almost zero of the responses have focused on the humor about being white, and have mostly discussed a perceived unfairness in giving Hispanics advantages that whites don't get.

What about the comedy routine? I, as a white person, find it funny and true about privileges whites take for granted or don't even notice, although I don't really expect some dire retribution as the balance in numbers shifts away from a white majority.

Also, the comic is of Hungarian descent as well as Mexican, and he speaks as a white person having had that upbringing and life. Whether or not Hispanics dislike white people I cannot say, but this man's schtick on white people is not being delivered by a cultural Hispanic.
I must have missed something here. I have worked under blacks with high position and don't see how I should feel at all privileged. I know many blacks and minorities who have beautiful homes , drive expensive cars so what is the deal here?

White to me does not equal privilege.. I have seen my share of poor whites that are really poor in the rural communities..I have traveled extensively around the US and the blacks tend to go to the urban areas where there is programs that give them a leg up.. not so in the rural areas. There are under privileged in all colors and the color of ones skin is no leg up for anyone.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:55 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
You can't.
Why can't he? I know people whose grades weren't good enough to get them into a particular college or win them a particular scholarship and so just checked off the "hispanic" box and had a full ride scholarship and got in.

You don't have to have a hispanic name to be a hispanic, you don't have to speak any Spanish at all, you don't have to be poor. You just check the right box and you're an underpriveleged minority and qualified for affirmative action.

I know one guy who was trying to get into medical school who said if he didn't get in, he was going to change his name to Sanchez and then change it back later -- but really changing the name was not necessary. You can have a name like "Fox" or "Halek" or "Sheen" or "Slim" and be 100% hispanic as far as what box you feel like checking goes.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:59 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:
You can't.
Sure he can, he'd be lying and possibly committing fraud

Old 01-08-2012, 04:07 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why can't he? I know people whose grades weren't good enough to get them into a particular college or win them a particular scholarship and so just checked off the "hispanic" box and had a full ride scholarship and got in.

You don't have to have a hispanic name to be a hispanic, you don't have to speak any Spanish at all, you don't have to be poor. You just check the right box and you're an underpriveleged minority and qualified for affirmative action.

I know one guy who was trying to get into medical school who said if he didn't get in, he was going to change his name to Sanchez and then change it back later -- but really changing the name was not necessary. You can have a name like "Fox" or "Halek" or "Sheen" or "Slim" and be 100% hispanic as far as what box you feel like checking goes.
I just recalled someone doing just that and guess what. wha la.. they got some free money.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:17 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
He is white.........his nationality may be Mexican.....but that guy has zero/very little Indian in his blood.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:13 PM

674 posts, read 698,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I just recalled someone doing just that and guess what. wha la.. they got some free money.
Exactly. It happens all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies