Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 01:15 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,887,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
From what I have interpreted from black voters, I would rather they didn't vote because it seems the majority of black voters voted for Obama strictly because he is black. Given the choice of voting Democrat or for the black guy, they would pick black. Pick for the best candidate, or the party of your choice but not for color. That just shows stupidity.
Good afternoon,

Do you have any proof of this? The few races I've seen with a white Democrat vs a black Republican in a majority black district resulted in a win for the white Democrat. (See Steve Cohen (white Dem) vs. Charlotte Bergmann (black Repub) in Tennessee in 2008 & 2010).

In fact, the only black Republicans in Congress since Reconstruction are:

1. Senator Edward Brooke: State of Massachusetts is 80.4% White (76.1% Non-Hispanic Whites), 6.6% Black or African American

2. Gary Franks: District was 80.2% White, 5.2% Black, 2.1% Asian, 10.5% Hispanic, 0.2% Native American, 0.3% other

3. JC Watts: District was 79.7% White, 6.7% Black, 1.7% Asian, 4.8% Hispanic, 5.7% Native American, 0.4% other.

4. Tim Scott: District is 74.8% White, 21.1% Black, 1.3% Asian, 2.5% Hispanic, 0.4% Native American, 0.2% other.

5. Allen West: District is 82.3% White, 3.8% Black, 1.7% Asian, 10.7% Hispanic, 0.1% Native American, 0.2% other.

Notice that none of these were from majority black areas.

Some African-Americans may say they vote based on color, but the stats show the majority vote for Democrats, even for a white Dem over a black Republican on the ballot.

Last edited by Freedom123; 03-13-2012 at 02:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 01:50 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
Wrong, Americans are tired of ineligible voters "like dead people" voting. People should have to prove who they are in order to vote, Doesn't matter what flavor you are. Fair is fair.
Can you explain the laws for voter registration in majority republican (governor) lead states where the cases of fraud are damn near none?

Old 03-13-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Good afternoon,

Do you have any proof of this? The few races I've seen with a white Democrat vs a black Republican in a majority black district resulted in a win for the white Democrat. (See Steve Cohen (white Dem) vs. Charlotte Bergmann (black Repub) in Tennessee in 2008 & 2010).

1. Senator Edmund Burke: State of Massachusetts is 80.4% White (76.1% Non-Hispanic Whites), 6.6% Black or African American

2. Gary Franks: District was 80.2% White, 5.2% Black, 2.1% Asian, 10.5% Hispanic, 0.2% Native American, 0.3% other

3. JC Watts: District was 79.7% White, 6.7% Black, 1.7% Asian, 4.8% Hispanic, 5.7% Native American, 0.4% other.

4. Tim Scott: District is 74.8% White, 21.1% Black, 1.3% Asian, 2.5% Hispanic, 0.4% Native American, 0.2% other.

5. Allen West: District is 82.3% White, 3.8% Black, 1.7% Asian, 10.7% Hispanic, 0.1% Native American, 0.2% other.

Some African-Americans may say they vote based on color, but the stats show the majority vote for Democrats, even for a white Dem over a black Republican on the ballot.

Thank you for the information

Old 03-13-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
From what I have interpreted from black voters, I would rather they didn't vote because it seems the majority of black voters voted for Obama strictly because he is black. Given the choice of voting Democrat or for the black guy, they would pick black. Pick for the best candidate, or the party of your choice but not for color. That just shows stupidity.
Ok, if want to look at it that way why don't you look at it this way: What about the whites that WON'T vote for Pres Obama because he is black?
Hmmmm, same coat, different brush

Old 03-13-2012, 02:09 PM

742 posts, read 678,284 times
Because the vote would either go to Paul or Obama, now Romeny & co. doesn't want that.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:16 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Good afternoon,

1. Senator Edward Brooke: State of Massachusetts is 80.4% White (76.1% Non-Hispanic Whites), 6.6% Black or African American

I always thought it was fairly obvious to anyone that black republicans are usually frowned upon by other democratic blacks. Like you mentioned, JC Watts, Allen West, Colon Powell (prior to him admitting to the faults of the Bush Administration), Condolezza Rice, Clarence Thomas and Herman Cain are generally considered outcasts and recieve some of the harshest criticism specifically for the fact that they are black and Republican. I think the general perception from black democrats is that they are actually worse than the white republicans.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:50 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,887,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I always thought it was fairly obvious to anyone that black republicans are usually frowned upon by other democratic blacks. Like you mentioned, JC Watts, Allen West, Colon Powell (prior to him admitting to the faults of the Bush Administration), Condolezza Rice, Clarence Thomas and Herman Cain are generally considered outcasts and recieve some of the harshest criticism specifically for the fact that they are black and Republican. I think the general perception from black democrats is that they are actually worse than the white republicans.
Exactly, which makes the poster's comment about African-Americans choosing any black candidate over a Democrat even more of a head scratcher. I have no clue where he got that idea from.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:47 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
This thread is a prime example of why you NEVER vote party, always the person and their position on topics that are important to you.

So many of the "small government" Republicans are quick to push for federal regulations for things that have NO effect on anyone not directly connected.

Could be related to some type of sexual repression or dysfunction.

YES, Freud was right, most problems can be traced back to sex and/or Mom.

Last edited by Trackwatch; 03-14-2012 at 01:55 AM..

Old 03-14-2012, 09:43 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
I always wonder why Blacks vote for Democrats. Not all, but it appears the majority voted for Obama and I never did understand that logic. Black unemployment is at an all time high under a Black President. Obama told a meeting of Black leaders to "shut up, get in line and vote for me" a few months ago. Yet, I know, the Blacks that do vote, will vote for Obama again. It is like watching people sign up for the Titanic knowing the ship is going to sink.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:39 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
They very often ARE worse than white Republicans, and certainly more strident. They use the fact that they're black often times to bolster criticisms that Republicans have of black people, and they usually go much further with it. I don't say that for Cain, Rice, Powell, or J.C. Watts because they've seemingly kept it real with their people regardless of ideology. But some of the other guys straight up play the Tom role for the entertainment of white Republicans, and of course we'll treat them like outcasts in that scenario. Why shouldn't we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies