Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 12:32 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,159,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
"A forthcoming book about the president and first lady reveals that they threw a lavish “Alice in Wonderland”-themed Halloween bash featuring actor Johnny Depp and director Tim Burton, the New York Post reported."

"It took place in 2009, the Obamas’ first Halloween in the White House, and came at a time when the unemployment rate was at a high of 10.1 percent. Depp, in full costume, greeted guests from atop a table."

“White House officials were so nervous about how a splashy, Hollywood-esque party would look to jobless Americans — or their representatives in Congress, who would soon vote on health care — that the event was not discussed publicly and Burton’s and Depp’s contributions went unacknowledged,” the book says.

Book: Obamas Threw Whimsical Alice in Wonderland Bash Featuring Johnny Depp & Tim Burton | TheBlaze.com

My guess is that it was a payback for campaign contributions.

I'd love to see a president in office who displays a little more dignity and who won't waste our tax dollars on big Hollywood Bashes. I could guarantee you wouldn't see Ron Paul spending other peoples' money in this decadent, elitist, wasteful manner. There are others out there who probably wouldn't either. I guess the real question is, why would anyone vote this hypocritical administration into office again?
In case anybody still cares about this "little" party here are a lot of pictures of the party. You can see more by clicking on the proper spot in the link.

Pictures of Obama, White House ‘Alice in Wonderland’ Party in 2009 With Johnny Depp | TheBlaze.com

Golly gee, have those two little girls grown a pile in 2 years!! Must be eating good at the White House but they grow only up not to obesity as their mother wouldn't like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 12:40 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,823,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
The POINT is the WH COVERED up the LAVISH party they threw, didn't want it to get out in the middle of a severe recession and for some odd reason, the PRESS didn't REPORT it.

Oh, they reported and covered the first family giving out candy to military children, but they didn't mention the LAVISH party afterwards.

Depp, Burton not in W.H. visitor logs - POLITICO.com

Johnny Depp-Gate: What Did the Mainstream Media Know and When Did They Know It? - Big Journalism

Obamas held a secret Alice in Wonderland-themed party at White House in depths of recession in 2009 | Mail Online

Obama’s White House Tea Party - NYPOST.com

So...I guess the press didn't feel it "news" to report on the lavish party thrown by obama?
From the link you provided. This is the LAVISH party.

As the children [the military and staff children] walked into the State Dining Room, they were greeted by a fully-costumed Johnny Depp standing on a table decorated with vintage-inspired table cloths and surrounded by giant stuffed animals.
Read more: Obamas held a secret Alice in Wonderland-themed party at White House in depths of recession in 2009 | Mail Online

Old 01-10-2012, 12:53 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,694,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
LOL...I love how conservatives get there panties in a bunch over a party but were cool with going into Iraq and cool with creating the bloated useless DHS..Both of which will have long lasting economic consequences. A party, not so much..Come now, at least pretend to have some measure of objectivity.
Pretty big difference between getting rid of a dictator/demon and a lavish party. And I do believe Obama loves DHS or he would have gotten rid of it. Is there any amount of money he spends that would offend you? I think not.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:53 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,201,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
From the link you provided. This is the LAVISH party.

As the children [the military and staff children] walked into the State Dining Room, they were greeted by a fully-costumed Johnny Depp standing on a table decorated with vintage-inspired table cloths and surrounded by giant stuffed animals.
Read more: Obamas held a secret Alice in Wonderland-themed party at White House in depths of recession in 2009 | Mail Online
Now you KNOW that those Giant Stuffed Animals are super-duper-expensive! Have you ever seen how much one has to spend on Skee-Ball just to get one Giant Stuffed Animal at Kings Dominion???

Old 01-10-2012, 12:54 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,630,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
In case anybody still cares about this "little" party here are a lot of pictures of the party. You can see more by clicking on the proper spot in the link.

Pictures of Obama, White House ‘Alice in Wonderland’ Party in 2009 With Johnny Depp | TheBlaze.com

Golly gee, have those two little girls grown a pile in 2 years!! Must be eating good at the White House but they grow only up not to obesity as their mother wouldn't like that.
I saw these photos this morning. The girls have grown and look quite cute. I do hope they enjoyed the party and are kept out of all the political stuff as much as possible. I wouldn't want my children to have to put up with all the hassle that comes with being the President's daughter. But then I wouldn't want my daughters attending a Johnny Depp/Alice in Wonderland Creepy bash either!

Old 01-10-2012, 12:58 PM

37,753 posts, read 40,828,546 times
The story here is the media hushing it up, not the party. Obviously, if it's worth keeping under wraps, the Obamas also felt guilty about it.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:07 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,300,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The story here is the media hushing it up, not the party. Obviously, if it's worth keeping under wraps, the Obamas also felt guilty about it.
Yes, nothing could be more obvious! (Sarcasm)

What does the unemployment rate have to do with the Obamas throwing a Halloween party for military familes? Every time the Os do something a RW doesn't like, it is not necessary to bring up the unemployment rate.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:12 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,540,502 times
Really? We're mad over some holiday celebration at the White House?

Old 01-10-2012, 01:13 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,731,012 times
Quote:
Really?

Old 01-10-2012, 01:16 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,823,949 times
Quote:
There are lots of 2009 reports about the party. The only item that only a few mentioned was the attendance of Depp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies