Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you choose your sexual orientation?
I chose to be gay 3 2.03%
I did not choose to be gay 30 20.27%
I chose to be lesbian 3 2.03%
I did not choose to be lesbian 4 2.70%
I chose to be bi-sexual 1 0.68%
I did not choose to be bi-sexual 6 4.05%
I chose to be heterosexual 27 18.24%
I did not choose to be heterosexual 78 52.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 06:23 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,615,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
False. You still have a choice.
A choice of who you have sex with. Not a choice of who you are innately, physiologically attracted to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 06:23 AM

957 posts, read 754,367 times
I never chose to be heterosexual, it's just the way I turned out as I've never had the urge to be with another man. I do & have always enjoyed dating women.
I don't feel your sexual orientation is a choice. It's much like being left or right handed.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:41 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,370,156 times
I would honestly like to know why, whenever there's a "gay" oriented thread, there's always at least one gay person who makes the claim that someone is a homophobe, or that every person is innately bi, or that they haven't chosen their sexual orientation.

Someone who is gay can make the claim that all people who are hetero are somewhat bisexual, but they never turn that criticism around on themselves as gays and can never claim that every gay person is somewhat bisexual and have a sexual attraction to the opposite sex as well.

Seems like being a gay male is cut and dry. If you're gay there's absolutely 100% no chance that you are even remotely sexually attracted to a female. I have also read on this forum that gays and some heteros claim that all women are somewhat bisexual - even if she claims to be heterosexual.

And the one that tops the list are the gays who claim any and every heterosexual who is a "homophobe" is also secretly attracted to the same sex.

If that were true, then every vehemently gay person is also a "heterophobe" and they are secretly deep down inside harboring sexual attraction for the opposite sex. It is gays like that who absolutely no doubt did select their sexual orientation.

It's really quite ridiculous.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:41 AM

25,915 posts, read 24,596,386 times
No, but I am happy to have turned out straight

Old 01-09-2012, 07:02 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,370,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
I did not choose to be 'straight' - it is how I was born.
You may not have chosen your sexual orientation, and looking at the poll results the heterosexuals are going to be more honest and open about their answers than the gays will.

I doubt there will be any who will click that "i chose to be gay" option and reveal their posting name.

they'll probably abstain all together from the poll and posting on this thread.

What does that tell you.

I really don't know if it's a choice or if your sexual orientation is default selected at birth.

I don't know if I chose my orientation or if it just comes naturally. I'm not sexually attracted toward women. I can't choose to be. But I am pretty sure that some people can choose their orientation. Obviously some people can, because there are gay men who have natural children with women, and lesbians who have had natural children with men. So it is entirely possible and likely that some people can choose their sexual orientation.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:41 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,864,647 times
Pssst anyone that picked anything other than one of the "I did not choose ...." is either very confused or an outright Liar.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:50 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,939,640 times
Quote:
Wait a minute...don't you have a CHOICE to go out and have sex with either a man or a woman?

Old 01-09-2012, 07:53 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,611,413 times
I recall at some very early point in my life, I looked at a woman, and made the choice : this is what I like.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:54 AM

1,329 posts, read 827,229 times
I've been attracted to both sexes but I didn't really identify as anything but straight. Two years ago I chose to identify as bisexual though, figuring it described what I experienced better.

I had the experience at a relatively young age of knowing I was different, but in my case it could just be the fact I have Asperger's syndrome and many of us don't feel like other people anyways. However, I never thought I was gay and my interests in playthings and friends never alarmed my parents that much.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:56 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,939,640 times
Quote:
Wait a minute.... Don't you have the CHOICE to have sex with either a man or a woman?

People have a CHOICE in everything in life...whether to drink coffee or tea...to eat beef or pork...to steal or not to steal. Why Would a person's CHOICE to have sex with someone of the same or opposite sex be an exception to the rule?

Last edited by dorado0359; 01-09-2012 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies