Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 11:45 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
It is not against the law to fire someone because they are pregnant. My cousin just lost her job because she became pregnant. No maternity, and they would do their best to keep her position for her, but no pay for her time off.

When you are barely making ends meet, you can't afford just to take maternity leave without pay.

I'm not sure what world you live in, but there are a lot of people whos parents have died, and they don't have any family.

Rose colored glasses me thinks.
She did not lose her job b/c she was pregnant. She had to take time off and the job said they would hold her position. That's what is required by law. If she chose to take time off, that was her doing, she was not forced out of her job due to pregnancy.

Sure, lots of people's parents have died, but most of these who are having abortions DO have living parents, friends and they ALL have a baby daddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 11:49 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Sure, lots of people's parents have died, but most of these who are having abortions DO have living parents, friends and they ALL have a baby daddy.
What about the ones who were raped? Do you consider rapists to be "baby daddies" who pregnant women should ask for help?

Old 01-11-2012, 11:55 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
She did not lose her job b/c she was pregnant. She had to take time off and the job said they would hold her position. That's what is required by law. If she chose to take time off, that was her doing, she was not forced out of her job due to pregnancy.

Go to page 16 and get schooled by post #156 before you say any more "naive" things....

And, NO, the Dad is NOT always there ....what world do you live in...uh, TV and movies aren't real....did you know that ?

Old 01-11-2012, 12:28 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:

Lots of Iraq war vets who went off to war, and never came back to a new baby.

Rose colored glasses.

You say "well they may not have" and "most of these"

The point is its an impossible decision for anyone else to make for anyone else. Which is all pro choice is. I don't like abortions, I would never want my wife to get one, or my daughter to get one, unless the baby was badly deformed or their lives were in danger.

But you know what, it isn't my decision, I'd rather it not be yours either.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:30 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Then explain the purpose for it, we know it is not to inform her that there is a fetuse in there, everyone already knows that.
it does not stop a woman from getting an abortion it does not stop the doctor from performing an abortion it does allow the patient to see what the procedure will effect. The law in no way stops the woman from choosing.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:33 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
it does not stop a woman from getting an abortion it does not stop the doctor from performing an abortion it does allow the patient to see what the procedure will effect. The law in no way stops the woman from choosing.
So basically the law assumes that women are too stupid to know what pregnancy is. And you are falling for it.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:34 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
They already know, so that argument is a failure.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:36 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
So basically the law assumes that women are too stupid to know what pregnancy is. And you are falling for it.
My main concern with this law is that it MANDATES that you get one procedure that isn't associated with another procedure.

That means the state, if kept constitutional, has the right to tell you whatever other procedures you must have before doing something else. Hell it could evolve into them mandating that before you buy twinkies at the grocery store, you have to buy an orange also.

Its a massive over reach of state power by most standards.

I'm a states rights guy though, it just makes up my mind about never moving to Texas.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:39 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
My main concern with this law is that it MANDATES that you get one procedure that isn't associated with another procedure.

That means the state, if kept constitutional, has the right to tell you whatever other procedures you must have before doing something else. Hell it could evolve into them mandating that before you buy twinkies at the grocery store, you have to buy an orange also.

I'm a states rights guy though, it just makes up my mind about never moving to Texas.
Other states are enacting similar laws, including Florida. Did you take a look at the link I posted earlier (multiple times)?

Also, while I am against this law, I don't think the "slippery slope" argument is necessarily valid here. Courts have ruled that states can only regulate medical procedures such as abortion where there is a "compelling state interest" and they've ruled that, as far as abortion, there's a "compelling state interest" in protecting "potential life."

While some of us disagree that the state should be protecting "potential life" in this way, it's unlikely the "compelling state interest" argument could be applied to situations like the examples you mentioned earlier.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:39 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:

Yes. It is a huge problem, constitutionally. It seriously invades a relationship that, in all other ways (think HIPAA), is a private one - the relationship between a person and his/her doctor. Privacy is strenuously protected, except for this one medical procedure.

I wouldn't move to Texas, either. Unfortunately, my brother lives there, so I do occasionally visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies