U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 11:01 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,914,204 times

Advertisements

They actually took to the airwaves to defend confiscating a cupcake.
The icing was too gel-like...gosh what would they do with a jello cup ?

So the cupcake icing went over the limit ? I would have just licked some off and asked.."Is this OK now?"

TSA: We were right to confiscate a cupcake; it wasn't a 'run of the mill' confection - NY Daily News
"I wanted to make it clear that this wasn't your everyday, run-of-the-mill cupcake. If you're not familiar with it, we have a policy directly related to the UK liquid bomb plot of 2006 called 3-1-1 that limits the amount of liquids, gels and aerosols you can bring in your carry-on luggage," Blogger Bob Burns wrote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 11:07 AM

20,009 posts, read 15,179,796 times
A picture of the TSA agent as he was presented with the cupcake was made available to the public:

Old 01-10-2012, 11:10 AM

24,889 posts, read 20,317,258 times
Haven't they ever seen gel icing or cake boss?

Hell we made a birthday cake for my son with frosting that looked like blue water. Nice and shiny.

TSA is a waste of money for the benefit it provides.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:16 AM

9,397 posts, read 13,241,741 times
Paul Blart would make for better airport security.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:21 AM

6,210 posts, read 3,105,272 times
Obviously it was yellow cake...

Old 01-10-2012, 11:29 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,584,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They actually took to the airwaves to defend confiscating a cupcake.
The icing was too gel-like...gosh what would they do with a jello cup ?

So the cupcake icing went over the limit ? I would have just licked some off and asked.."Is this OK now?"

TSA: We were right to confiscate a cupcake; it wasn't a 'run of the mill' confection - NY Daily News
"I wanted to make it clear that this wasn't your everyday, run-of-the-mill cupcake. If you're not familiar with it, we have a policy directly related to the UK liquid bomb plot of 2006 called 3-1-1 that limits the amount of liquids, gels and aerosols you can bring in your carry-on luggage," Blogger Bob Burns wrote.
If a Jello cup has a volume of Jello that goes above the permitted amount then it wouldn't go through. Also, you can't eat or "lick" something off just for it go through.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:34 PM

12,852 posts, read 10,210,247 times
So just to play devil's advocate... the whole reason for the rule concerning the risk of liquid explosives that can look like ordinary items and otherwise evade any discovery in the detectors - is that risk just fantasy?

Old 01-10-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Haven't they ever seen gel icing or cake boss?

Hell we made a birthday cake for my son with frosting that looked like blue water. Nice and shiny.

TSA is a waste of money for the benefit it provides.
I think the point of them mentioning the gel is that the public seemed to think it was just average frosting. Even then, TSA policy is that liquids, gels and aerosal materials are subject to the volume/amount rules. If a cupcake can visually be checked and it seems to be above the allowed amount and falls under the cateogry of a liquid, gel, then it is the ability of the TSA officer to not permit such item.

The cupcake in that link is not a representation of what the actual cupcake looked like. So, that is unfair that they used that picture in that article and even tried to imply that the cupcake was like the one in the picture.

I think that many people here want others to hear their side and people often seem to be capable of thinking. So, with that said: Why is it so hard to realize that explosive materials can come in many forms, including the form of something that looks like cupcake frosting. If those are permitted, how many would it take to create an explosive? I'm sure some terrorist could engineer one that could be enough to bring down a plane. I think people underestimate the intelligence of the people who work with terrorists to create their tools of violence. There is a ton of money out there that is funding terrorism and they have some smart people working for them. Terrorists have chemists, doctors, surgeons, engineers in their ranks.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
So just to play devil's advocate... the whole reason for the rule concerning the risk of liquid explosives that can look like ordinary items and otherwise evade any discovery in the detectors - is that risk just fantasy?
Thank you for your post, it makes sense. And nope, not just a fantasy. You're right, they are supposed to look like ordinary items.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:38 PM

24,889 posts, read 20,317,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I think the point of them mentioning the gel is that the public seemed to think it was just average frosting. Even then, TSA policy is that liquids, gels and aerosal materials are subject to the volume/amount rules. If a cupcake can visually be checked and it seems to be above the allowed amount and falls under the cateogry of a liquid, gel, then it is the ability of the TSA officer to not permit such item.

The cupcake in that link is not a representation of what the actual cupcake looked like. So, that is unfair that they used that picture in that article and even tried to imply that the cupcake was like the one in the picture.

I think that many people here want others to hear their side and people often seem to be capable of thinking. So, with that said: Why is it so hard to realize that explosive materials can come in many forms, including the form of something that looks like cupcake frosting. If those are permitted, how many would it take to create an explosive? I'm sure some terrorist could engineer one that could be enough to bring down a plane. I think people underestimate the intelligence of the people who work with terrorists to create their tools of violence. There is a ton of money out there that is funding terrorism and they have some smart people working for them. Terrorists have chemists, doctors, surgeons, engineers in their ranks.
And yet no successful terrorist attacks since.....

All of the money, all of the TSA, all of the time, all of it hasn't kept us safe. Failed attempts have kept us safe because we have hunted their organization. You can make a bomb out of virtually anything. That doesn't mean we should all fly "in the nude"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or