Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 10:57 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,217,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Do you think that all sentences are tied to each other as a single unit? Then tell me what has receiving Ambassadors has got to do with adjournment powers of the President.

"He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States."

In fact, those are four distinct parts defining Presidential powers within the section.
Thanks I saw all four parts . the part that i saw as imprtant to the thread was the fact he could convene congress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 11:09 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Thanks I saw all four parts . the part that i saw as imprtant to the thread was the fact he could convene congress.
What is your understanding of the part that talks about adjournment of the congress? This piece: "he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper"

Old 01-11-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
What is your understanding of the part that talks about adjournment of the congress? This piece: "he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper"
Section 3 seems to be about calling congress for the state of the Union.

Section 3 - State of the Union, Convening Congress
He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States.

http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html#A2Sec3

The section starts by saying he from time time shall give a state of the union. The separated by a semi colon states on extraordinary occasions convene both houses. it then sates he can adjourn congress to a time he thinks proper.

So as the first part goes this is not a state of the union issue.
So the question then would be, did he inform congress they stood in adjournment which I have not seen anywhere that he took this move to actually adjourn congress.

The last clause of Section 5 of Article 1 of the Constitution says that “Neither House” of Congress can adjourn for more than three days “without the Consent of the other” house.

In this case, the House of Representatives had not formally consented to Senate adjournment. It’s true the House did this to block the President from making recess appointments.

While the Senate did not conducted any real business over its very real holiday break, Republicans have convened pro forma sessions once every three days. The thought being since they were technically in session they could stop a recess appointment .
The republican added another problem for Obama since the house did not go into recess at all there was no agreement on whether there was a recess.

So the president did not call a session and did not ask to adjourn it either. So that would make article 3 section two irrelevant

Old 01-11-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Section 3 seems to be about calling congress for the state of the Union.

Section 3 - State of the Union, Convening Congress
He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States.

The United States Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

The section starts by saying he from time time shall give a state of the union. The separated by a semi colon states on extraordinary occasions convene both houses. it then sates he can adjourn congress to a time he thinks proper.

So as the first part goes this is not a state of the union issue.
So the question then would be, did he inform congress they stood in adjournment which I have not seen anywhere that he took this move to actually adjourn congress.

The last clause of Section 5 of Article 1 of the Constitution says that “Neither House” of Congress can adjourn for more than three days “without the Consent of the other” house.

In this case, the House of Representatives had not formally consented to Senate adjournment. It’s true the House did this to block the President from making recess appointments.

While the Senate did not conducted any real business over its very real holiday break, Republicans have convened pro forma sessions once every three days. The thought being since they were technically in session they could stop a recess appointment .
The republican added another problem for Obama since the house did not go into recess at all there was no agreement on whether there was a recess.

So the president did not call a session and did not ask to adjourn it either. So that would make article 3 section two irrelevant
No, a lot more than that. Did you not understand the highlighted text? Or did you deliberately avoid answering my question about... what has Presidential power related to convening the congress got to do with receiving ambassadors? You skipping it had me assume that you got the point. Obviously, you did not.

So, tell me... if Section 3 is only about President having the ability to convene the Congress, then how does the statement about receiving ambassadors tie to it?

Old 01-11-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
No, a lot more than that. Did you not understand the highlighted text? Or did you deliberately avoid answering my question about... what has Presidential power related to convening the congress got to do with receiving ambassadors? You skipping it had me assume that you got the point. Obviously, you did not.

So, tell me... if Section 3 is only about President having the ability to convene the Congress, then how does the statement about receiving ambassadors tie to it?
Please read what i said carefully. I did say the president can convene congress. He has done so several tiles as president. In this case he did not convene then nor did he adjourn them.
Article 2 in the Constitution is about presidential powers. the president always can receive ambassadors appoint them in recess.
the the House was not in recess, the president neither convened or adjourned congress .
Article one is about congressional powers and that where the constitution says both house and senate must agree to be in recess. House did not.
You ad don top of this that the Senate republican went proforma session the senate was not in recess.
Article 2 section 3 allows the president to convene a session of congress or adjourn it. He neither convened it or ordered it to be adjourned

Old 01-11-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Please read what i said carefully. I did say the president can convene congress. He has done so several tiles as president. In this case he did not convene then nor did he adjourn them.
Article 2 in the Constitution is about presidential powers. the president always can receive ambassadors appoint them in recess.
the the House was not in recess, the president neither convened or adjourned congress .
Article one is about congressional powers and that where the constitution says both house and senate must agree to be in recess. House did not.
You ad don top of this that the Senate republican went proforma session the senate was not in recess.
Article 2 section 3 allows the president to convene a session of congress or adjourn it. He neither convened it or ordered it to be adjourned
You did not answer my question. I can read what you posted. Heck, I got you into a habit of quoting the Constitution. There is no need to repeat it relentlessly, while skipping over the inconvenience... and that would be answering my question:

What has receiving ambassadors got to do with the power to convene the congress?

Old 01-11-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
You did not answer my question. I can read what you posted. Heck, I got you into a habit of quoting the Constitution. There is no need to repeat it relentlessly, while skipping over the inconvenience... and that would be answering my question:

What has receiving ambassadors got to do with the power to convene the congress?
It is part of the presidents responsibilities. he receives ambassadors all the time
No what does receiving ambassadors have to do with a recess appointment when there was no recess

Old 01-11-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
It is part of the presidents responsibilities. he receives ambassadors all the time
No what does receiving ambassadors have to do with a recess appointment when there was no recess
The question wasn't to repeat a sentence, but how does it tie to convening the congress, since you're the one assuming the whole clause to be a single power. So, you've got to try again.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:04 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,196,519 times
(Yawn).

Old 01-11-2012, 02:14 PM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
Because it's the Congress! Another manufactured controversy for FOX News and their flunkies to fall for... it's a recess appointment. If Congress wants to stop recess appointments, then they should vote these nominees up or down and stop blocking them with their archaic rules. Congress was not working and not in town... this is a technicality and if the Congress disagreed with it, they would file for an injunction. Instead, their mouth-pieces at FOX rail against the President and FOX's minions come on here to complain. What a country.
I see your hatred for FOX shines through.

I guess you NEVER heard of the term Pro Forma. I think you need to contact Harry Reid, you know the dem Senate Majority Leader. HE is the one who came up with Senate procedure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies