U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 05:03 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,694,959 times

Advertisements

we never hired illegals, and went out of business because we couldnt keep up with the businesses that did, but sorry no one can blame me or anyone else that shops there for anything but trying to save some money for the family. The people that need to speak up are the employees that work there, if it is that bad they all need to just not go into work, no employees, no sales, if Walmart is this giant evil in the world the government needs to get involved and make it a miserable existance for them to do business the way they have been.

Old 09-12-2006, 05:19 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,786,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Already answered this. See above.

What happened to holding people accountable for their actions? What is it about "conservatives" who insist that individuals should be held accountable for their actions, but Big Business should be free to do whatever it wants, free of all consequence? It seems like a very weird, illogical double-standard to me.

No one is suggesting that anyone is being forced to work at Wal-Mart. (At least not in this country; it does happen in many of the Third World sweat shops that Wal-Mart uses.)

I am saying that Wal-Mart has an obligation to treat its employees well and obey the law. How can anyone possibly disagree with that???

So are pimps and drug dealers.

I don't have a college education and I went to a temp agency and was paid minimum wage to learn data entry and from there got into accounting. Walmart is not the only employer out there. I don't think a Walmart salary is going to stop people from living on the street, it is an entry level job that's it.

Walmart is a legal corperation providing a legal service, pimps and drug dealers are illegal.

Stop drinking the Koolaid.

Old 09-12-2006, 05:25 PM

15,082 posts, read 19,724,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
Walmart is not the only employer out there.
Give them time.

Dickens wrote a novel about people with your atitude. "Can I have some more, please?"

Quote:
Walmart is a legal corperation providing a legal service...
...who is constantly being caught breaking the law. And when they can't get away with their inhumane business practices in this country, they move them overseas.

Please do as you suggested and do some research. Start with The High Cost of Low Price. Your local library might have a copy.

Old 09-12-2006, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Give them time.

Dickens wrote a novel about people with your atitude. "Can I have some more, please?"

...who is constantly being caught breaking the law. And when they can't get away with their inhumane business practices in this country, they move them overseas.

Please do as you suggested and do some research. Start with The High Cost of Low Price. Your local library might have a copy.

What is up with you liberals and Walmart?

Old 09-12-2006, 05:32 PM

They are rich and they dont like that, I wish I was rich, but I am not going to bash a business for it. You know how they say all is fair in love and war, well it should be all is fair in war and business, our business didnt make it but others do, legal or not, doesnt mean I am going to stop shoping there, they offer a service I need if they didnt I wouldnt go there.

Old 09-12-2006, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsbabe1 View Post
They are rich and they dont like that, I wish I was rich, but I am not going to bash a business for it. You know how they say all is fair in love and war, well it should be all is fair in war and business, our business didnt make it but others do, legal or not, doesnt mean I am going to stop shoping there, they offer a service I need if they didnt I wouldnt go there.

They are legal and they provide a service and many benefit from it. I'm not sure why the Libs put so much energy into Walmart when they ought to be concentrating on other things. Geez... Hilary Clinton even owns stock in Walmart, and they like her. Go figure

Talk about do as I say not as I do. The Libs are famous for that.

Can't argue with them though, they have a mental block when it comes to Walmart.

Old 09-12-2006, 05:42 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,248,249 times
HUH? Who said anything about being a "Lib"? I'm by no means a "Liberal". LOL, that one is funny.

I don't bash any business for being "rich". Or person for being "rich". I'm not "rich" but in some peoples eyes I may be "rich". In others I may be poor. We are each "rich" in our own ways. Like I said, it is ironic how some complain about having to stretch every dollar and about their job situation and all but then turn around and support the very ways that got them there. That is what I call "the pot calling the kettle black".

Old 09-12-2006, 05:47 PM

Quote:
What is up with you liberals and Walmart?
--) Abuse of their employees. Poor wages, no benefits, forcing employees to work off the clock so they don't have to pay them overtime.

--) Unfair practices that put locally-owned businesses out of business

--) Hiring of illegal aliens

--) Widespread use of sweat shops and slave-worker conditions in Third World countries

So, in light of that, my question: Why do conservatives love Wal-Mart so much? Do low prices really excluse flagrant illegal and immoral business practices?

And I really hesitate to use the term "conservative." There's really nothing "conservative" about it. It's liberalism in its most classic sense --- "laissez-faire" capitalism. This neo-conservative mindset for some reason doesn't think Big Business needs to play by the rules that the rest of us do.

If Teddy Roosevelt were alive today, he'd drive most of the Republicans (and Democrats) out with whips and a real big stick.

Old 09-12-2006, 05:48 PM

Quote:
they ought to be concentrating on other things. Geez... Hilary Clinton even owns stock in Walmart, and they like her.
Hillary Clinton isn't a liberal AT ALL when it comes to economic issues. She's way to the right of Richard Nixon.

But if it makes you feel any better, I don't like her either. She represents everything that is wrong with Washington politics today.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
HUH? Who said anything about being a "Lib"? I'm by no means a "Liberal". LOL, that one is funny.

I don't bash any business for being "rich". Or person for being "rich". I'm not "rich" but in some peoples eyes I may be "rich". In others I may be poor. We are each "rich" in our own ways. Like I said, it is ironic how some complain about having to stretch every dollar and about their job situation and all but then turn around and support the very ways that got them there. That is what I call "the pot calling the kettle black".
Excuse me but Walmart or their buy cheap ways did not get me in the situation we are in today. We have to strech every dollar because other companies mark their products up to fatten the wallets of their ceo's and we are taxed so much that are paychecks are a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies