U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 07:58 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,242,086 times

Advertisements

Umm, Sam's Club is owned by walmart. DUH!!! Same buying principles are used on their vendors.

No, I am NOT a closet Walmart shopper. GOSH NO!!!!! I will drive out of my way to keep from going there. And they are NOT the lowest price in town. They may be the "cheapest" but that is it they are "cheap". It is a game they have played into peoples heads to think that they can ONLY get the "cheapest" prices at Walmart and you have feed right into it. Like you keep saying about the workers, no one is forcing you to shop at Walmart. Your car/city bus/etc can take you to other places. Why won't Walmart fold? Because too many people that can not think for themselves have fallen for their advertising. Do you REALLY comparison shop? Do you REALLY check out the prices at other stores? How much money do you waste replacing things that are "cheap" that you buy at Walmart that fall apart? When you could spend a few dollars more and get something somewhere else of better quality that will last longer? That right there alone will make you hundreds of dollars if you start doing it. So you buy a cheap watch at Walmart for $50 but have to buy a new one every year. Yet you huff when you hear someone spent $150 on a watch that will probably last them 5 or more. Hmmm, who comes out ahead in the long run? You get what you pay for.

gregsbabe wants some ideas to save money? My first one, stop moving. For crying out loud. How much do you spend every time you move. And to top it off you move from one high dollar cost of living place to another. Second is take my advice from the previous paragraph. Do some research before buying ANYTHING at Walmart. You may be better off saving for a little bit longer and getting something of better quality that has a warranty that is actually worth something at a store that will stand behind their product.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:43 PM

2,098 posts, read 5,782,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Umm, Sam's Club is owned by walmart. DUH!!! Same buying principles are used on their vendors.

I did not know that. No need for sarcasm either, but thanks for enlightening me.

Gregsbabe1: I agree that some things are simply not worth buying in bulk, that's why I only mentioned those few necessities. Some things are so ridiculous that I wouldn't even buy one, nevermind a huge stock of it!! But when there are things like your everyday staples, it's worth the $$$. Again, it's wise to split it up between friends and family too if you can. Also, there are "dollar stores"...not that they necessarily charge a dollar, however, you can get some things there if you're in a quick fix. Beware though of some items....I read somewhere that you should never buy toothpaste in a discount/dollar store...it might look like the same package and name brand, but it has not be ADA approved. As far as the comment made to you about moving....I didn't read your post about moving, but I'm assuming it means actually moving your entire family to a new location? If so, don't be insulted by the comments, sh*t happens and sometimes people have to move several times before being able to settle somewhere...to each his own.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:18 PM

246 posts, read 204,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
They are not forcing anyone to work there or shop there.

If people don't shop there or apply for work there they will go out of business, in the mean time they are providing a service to people that shop there.

Liberals cannot grasp this concept for some reason, so I will agree to disagree with you.
Let's do a deep dive into the Wal Mart business model, shall we? You lot are all pro-business, so do your best to keep up.

First and foremost, the Wal Mart brand has built itself on "Low Prices, Always". So why are those prices so low?

Point one: Wal Mart sources from low cost countries (read: China, not America). Wal Mart alone represents 10% of the annual contribution to the US trade deficit with China.

Point two: 60-70% of Wal Mart merchandise is purchased from China. On revenues of $233B and an operating margin of 5.9%, you figure out what a staggering number that is.

So when you look at the value created, most of it stays in China. That which makes its way to these shores stays in Arkansas.

Conclusion: the bottom line is that Wal Mart expatriates American Capital -- and by extension American national strength -- to China. It follows that since you cons are supposedly so commercially astute, you would know that.

China's current account baloons, shareholders rejoice, and American workers get to enjoy mac & cheese night with their kids again.

Magpies

Old 09-12-2006, 09:40 PM

5,298 posts, read 5,673,057 times
I can't beleive walmart is such a heated debate. I like walmart myself and appearantly so do many others or they wouldn't be the giants they are. I don't like Sears. Oh walmart will match any advertized special,just bring in the flyer.I don't see anything wrong with trying to find a bargin,people do it everyday from cars,to homes,to toothpaste to cell phone companies to insurance.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:43 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,720,407 times
I'm in Flint MI - a GM/buy American city if there ever was one. I have Nissan, I was actually told by the manager of an oil change place that they "didn't really like to work on *** cars." No joke, and this was only a few years ago. I was told by a client that it was OK that I parked my truck in his driveway, because it was a long driveway and from a distance it looked like a Chevy S-10. Never mind that Nissan, Toyota et al are building plants here, and GM is outsourcing work all over the place - the new Camaro is going to be built in Canada.

This relates to Wal-Mart how. Because there are several Wal-Marts, Targets, Sam's Clubs, Costco's etc around here and they are freakin' packed. Including the new one that opened in a VERY upscale town adjacent to Flint. You'd have thought it was the second coming of you-know-who. Trust me, most of these folks can afford to shop local. It opened a few months ago; an independent supermarket that has been there since the 1960's closed at the same time. The people who flock to the new Wal-Mart are mostly folks who wouldn't dream of owning anything other than a domestic auto because that would be somehow traitorous and unpatriotic.
The hypocrisy astounds me. Forget illegal immigration (OK, don't - I know that's a valid concern too) but the real economic threat to the US is coming from China, if you take a long view.
I don't resent the Chinese, or the Indians, or the Mexicans or Canadians. Blame the demand, they're only doing what any of us would do if the tables were turned.
But if you're against outsourcing and loss of jobs from this country, for doG's sake be consistent and stop being hypocritical by crying about the sorry state of American manufacturing or immigration while refusing to shop locally whenever feasible.
Even if it costs you a few dollars more (BTW I do not believe shoppin g at Wally-world is any cheaper than shopping sales at local stores.)
If you want the cheapest, then accept the fact you are directly contributing to outsourcing and loss of jobs. If you can afford soda pop, convenience foods and an internet connection, you can probably pay a little more for groceries, or buy decent clothes at resale stores instead of cheap junk from import stores like Wal-Mart.
Just don't be hypocrites in order to save a few dollars on your largely unecessary consumer goods. If you really care, walk the walk.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:52 PM

2,814 posts, read 11,893,647 times
Default A bit harsh eh momof2dfw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

No, I am NOT a closet Walmart shopper. GOSH NO!!!!! I will drive out of my way to keep from going there. And they are NOT the lowest price in town. They may be the "cheapest" but that is it they are "cheap". It is a game they have played into peoples heads to think that they can ONLY get the "cheapest" prices at Walmart and you have feed right into it. Like you keep saying about the workers, no one is forcing you to shop at Walmart. Your car/city bus/etc can take you to other places. Why won't Walmart fold? Because too many people that can not think for themselves have fallen for their advertising. Do you REALLY comparison shop? Do you REALLY check out the prices at other stores? How much money do you waste replacing things that are "cheap" that you buy at Walmart that fall apart? When you could spend a few dollars more and get something somewhere else of better quality that will last longer? That right there alone will make you hundreds of dollars if you start doing it. So you buy a cheap watch at Walmart for $50 but have to buy a new one every year. Yet you huff when you hear someone spent $150 on a watch that will probably last them 5 or more. Hmmm, who comes out ahead in the long run? You get what you pay for.

gregsbabe wants some ideas to save money? My first one, stop moving. For crying out loud. How much do you spend every time you move. And to top it off you move from one high dollar cost of living place to another. Second is take my advice from the previous paragraph. Do some research before buying ANYTHING at Walmart. You may be better off saving for a little bit longer and getting something of better quality that has a warranty that is actually worth something at a store that will stand behind their product.
Jeez "mom", your sarcasm really has no place and your tone is inappropriate. Who are you to 'advise' gregsbabe? I think you should climb down from your pedestal and think a minute before you slam someone with your uninvited advice. I'm not intending this as a rude swipe to you, but it makes reading what are normally pleasant exchanges of opinion and facts disheartening when one comes across one with your sarcasm and judgement.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:00 PM

2,814 posts, read 11,893,647 times
Default WalMart and and unpaid OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
Again , no one is forced to work in this country off the clock, it's called walking out the door and getting a job at Burger King if you want to get paid cheap. Do you have a problem with Burger King? They ask people to work off the clock, and they hire illegals too.
You're right and it's illegal in this country to be pushed to work OT without being paid overtime. The exception would be salaried workers or exempt employees who are expected to work a range of hours as needed. WalMart settled a 50 million $ suit in Colorado for 'forcing' workers to work overtime without pay. Managers apparently erased timesheet entries to hide the OT worked. There's a WalMart policy enforced from higher-ups that will not allow OT to be paid, yet managers and supervisers at WalMarts around the country have allegedly abused this. In Kansas City there was a lawsuit about workers being locked in the stores after their shifts ended. There are also active lawsuits in New Mexico and other states. WalMart says it does not force workers to work OT without pay, but there are numerous cases around the nation right now that accuse WalMart of doing just that. I'd think that WalMarts lawyers would force WalMart to follow the law as the financial consequences of losing a lawsuit are horrendous, especially in worker rights. I agree no one has to work for WalMart and it's a choice one makes. If it were me and I found my manager had locked me in the store after my shift, I'd pull out my cell and dial 911. If my manager or supervisor told me I had to work without the time acknowledged as OT on my timesheet, I'd sue. But that's me. Hopefully WalMart has learned its lesson.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:34 PM

104 posts, read 412,825 times
[quote=Mark S.;88809] Most staff is purposefully kept at part-time status so that they cannot qualify for benefits. QUOTE]

This is not just at Wal-Mart, but at almost every major retail chain, at least in California. I was a retail manager for 10 years in California in the 90s. I worked at Toys R Us, Ross Dress for Less, Rite-Aid, and Mervyn's (Calif. Department Store - a sister-company of Target). ALL of the retail companies I ever worked for would not allow their managers to schedule their part-time employees to work more than 24 hours a week. Why? Because there were only a certain number of full-time employee slots allotted per store, and the full-time employees were the only ones allowed benefits. If an part-time employee worked more than 24 hours a week, I think it was 8 or 12 weeks in a row, that employee automatically jumped to full-time status, and therefore received benefits (and the manager was in BIG trouble!!). Usually the "full-timers" had been at the store forever, & it was VERY rare that a full-time slot became available. I found this very sad because the part-timers, in reality, had little chance of advancement or benefits (although the company would never tell them this). Many of these part-timers were the hardest workers in the entire store. So, it's not just Wal-Mart, it's the retail industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
You're right and it's illegal in this country to be pushed to work OT without being paid overtime. The exception would be salaried workers or exempt employees who are expected to work a range of hours as needed. WalMart settled a 50 million $ suit in Colorado for 'forcing' workers to work overtime without pay. .
Again, not just Wal-Mart, but the retail industry. In the last 10 years, there has been a slew of class-action "working off the clock" and/or "not being paid for overtime" lawsuits all over the country (especially in California) involving many, many of your major retail chains. I was involved in one with Mervyn's that settled in 1998, and that was one of the first class-action "overtime" lawsuits in California. Since then, there have been TONS of these lawsuits. Many of these overtime lawsuits involve management (or exempt) employees (mine did), as well as hourly employees.

Not trying to defend Wal-Mart, just trying to point out that these issues are retail-industry wide, not just limited to Wal-Mart.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:52 PM

1,305 posts, read 4,931,720 times
OK; gone far enough. The same 3 or 4 people are saying the same 2 or 3 things over and over. I suppose each thinks if they say it often enough they might change the other's mind.

Then, it degenerates into political sniping and name calling.

Which is why we have moderators. This thread is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies