Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2012, 07:09 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nothing wrong with supporting Confederate holidays. I've got nothing against it. If it's a day off, give it to me. I'll take it. No, i won't commemorate the Confederates that died in the Civil War, but i will enjoy the day off. Even if it's not a day off, i'll salute those that want to celebrate it and keep it moving. Doesn't bother me a bit.
Anyone who celebrates Confederate holidays is a racist, plain and simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 07:13 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Who knew in the 21st Century traitors would still be lionized by various state governments.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:13 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Anyone who celebrates Confederate holidays is a racist, plain and simple.
Not necessarily. Some say that it's "heritage, not hate," and i believe them.

Again, i won't commemorate them under any circumstances because the Confederate cause, if successful, sure as hell wouldn't have worked in my favor. And no, i don't buy that their cause wasn't for the continuation of slavery. I beg to differ.

But i have no right to call the commemorators of such holidays "racists" without any evidence to the affirmative.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:16 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Va. students object to King Day classes - The Washington Post

Old 01-13-2012, 07:16 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Not necessarily. Some say that it's "heritage, not hate," and i believe them.

Again, i won't commemorate them under any circumstances because the Confederate cause, if successful, sure as hell wouldn't have worked in my favor. And no, i don't buy that their cause wasn't for the continuation of slavery. I beg to differ.

But i have no right to call the commemorators of such holidays "racists" without any evidence to the affirmative.
Read through this thread if you have the time and haven't already. You'll see clearly that at least most of the people on the forum who celebrate this holiday are VERY racist.

I don't know anyone in real life who celebrates this holiday. In fact, I had never heard of the holiday before I saw this thread on the forum.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:17 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Read through this thread if you have the time and haven't already. You'll see clearly that, at least most of the ones on this forum, are VERY racist.

I don't know anyone in real life who celebrates this holiday. In fact, I had never heard of the holiday before I saw this thread on the forum.
I did read through about half the thread, but what else is new?

This is C-D.....i EXPECT it here.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:19 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Read through this thread if you have the time and haven't already. You'll see clearly that, at least most of the ones on this forum, are VERY racist.

I've lived in the south for 22 years, and this was the first time I had ever heard of this holiday.
BTW, you are totally right about the racist remarks in this thread.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:46 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I've lived in the south for 22 years, and this was the first time I had ever heard of this holiday.
BTW, you are totally right about the racist remarks in this thread.
Racist remarks which the mods support and, I suspect, encourage........

Old 01-13-2012, 07:51 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Yes.....slaves were treated well by their owners because they were things of great value.

Got it.
Ahhhh yes, the old irony/sarcasm ploy.

Yes, that is correct. Slave owners (white and black and Indians and hispanic...there were all of them in the Americas who were both slaves and slave-owners) by the standards of the day, generally adhered to the laws (which prohibted deliberate cruelty), as well as following common humanitarian/Christian ethics which obligated them to care for the sick, injured, and old.

So what is the issue? How well were the "free workers" treated in the northern factories? Hell, in many instances, they weren't even treated well for ANY reason. No reason to treat them well. They were expendable. When they got injured...or became sick and/or old? They were tossed out into the streets. Far as that goes, in many instances, they were "paid" by script from the "company store"...and bound to it. Is that not right?

And BTW -- only a stone-idiot would defend slavery today (even though it still exists today in a few parts of the world). Personally, I cannot think of ANYTHING more appalling/revolting than the idea of one man "owning" another. All I am saying is the whole thing -- the existence of slavery -- must be put into a proper perspective. No group, no race, no ethnic group, is innocent...and has not been both slave holder and slaves themselves.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:33 PM

232 posts, read 151,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Obviously someone went and cried to the Mods over a couple of my posts, even though the posts were factual.
So I ask this question again, why are we making a post celebrating the Confederacy???...is there an agenda here???.

The Confederacy despised Blacks, Italians, and Jews, among others. This hatred of other people was one of the foundations of "southern society".

Now, there was an incident in which the people of the "southern society" aka Confederates decided that "Northern Jews" had to be taught their place in the South. They used one incident in particular to get this message out that the "Confederacy" was alive and kicking.

If you want the story ask Mary Phagan the o.p. of this post.

I don't believe that celebrating a society based on it's history of hate and violence is something I choose to participate in.
Leo Frank - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Never mind the fact a Jewish man was in the Confederate Government...must have really hated them eh? I am laughing at the anti white southerner garbage I see here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies