Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2012, 07:54 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,661,645 times

Advertisements

I think this post from another forum sums up my thoughts on this

Quote:
It's war. I'm not sure if "moral high ground" even plays into it.

That's the problem with the West. We enter conflicts thinking we can win via some politically correct version of war while fighting enemies who don't give two ****s about that.

In the meantime, we get criticism from people who seem to be far less critical of the people we're fighting even when they do things far worse.

The whole hearts and minds thing just doesn't work. We're more inclined to enter war than we should because we try to dress it up as a patriotic/humanitarian affair. It's not. It's about killing enough of the enemy to succeed in your goals.

There's nothing glorious or moral about that.

So when stuff like this happens, I don't see why people lose their **** over it. I frequent another forum with a larger international contingent, and they're having a field day with this. It's not really because they care though. It's only because they have an axe to grind with America. If they actually did care about this sort of thing, they'd be more evenhanded in their criticisms of both sides.

Instead, we're just the easiest target.

I understand your concerns in this, but I think the problem started when we assumed that a moral high ground exists with war. We should abide by certain rules, but overall, it's most practical to keep in mind that the premise of war is murder. In the grand scheme of things, urinating on a corpse is pretty trivial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 08:29 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,606,015 times
I guess there is just one thing our Christian nation should ask:
Attached Thumbnails
Graphic (NSFW) : Video of US Marines urinating on dead Afghan (Taliban?) men-motivator9aa1ede1f3483d3a23b9fed8fa6392cb562007fc.jpg  

Old 01-14-2012, 08:56 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,262,413 times
Okay, new rule..."Do not pee on the dead bodies of the a$$holes who tried to kill you, and may have killed some of your buddies".

There, are folks happy now?

Old 01-14-2012, 10:02 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,535,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
You mean Weiner. Weiner gets "it", not sure what it is he gets, but he gets way to much of it. Talking down to a leader of the Marines for being an armchair commander? Really? Michael Weiner has never worn a military uniform. He is yet another screeching warmonger who has never served, never even tried.
Do you hear yourself? It's okay to kill people, but God forbid don't urinate on them too, that would be disrespecful, and might send the wrong message. If you're going to send these guys into war, risking their lives and limbs, back them up! Is that too much to ask?

Old 01-14-2012, 10:10 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,535,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
War is hell. Literally. War is not a chessboard game. It should never be "lowered" to the standards of a board game.

I'll give our troops EVERY consideration and leniency in war.

"Rules of engagement" should never be tolerated. That's for board games.

Let's get OUT of these wars and if and when we are in them, let's not tie the hands of our troops and while we're at it, let's stop tieing the hands of our Police and sheriffs departments by any ruling any judge decides to hand-down.

I was not there and I am not going to judge these troops. If I judge anyone it's going to be the idiots that took pictures. THAT should be the source that is reprimanded, and very harshly.

Either we are at war or we are not.
yeppers I am sick of trying to make these warriors into politically correct robots. They are men just doing the masters bidding, and doing their best to come out of this thing with all their body parts. They can't smoke cigs or pot to relieve stress, so they have a laugh and **** on the enemy, bfd.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:51 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,541,159 times
Missed the opportunity to craaaap on them as well and televise the event on
al jezzera TV.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:27 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,898,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
I think its alarming how many American citizens have lowered their standards and find it acceptable for the United States to do whatever the hell we want to whoever we want whenever we want and to scoff at standards that once meant something to us as human beings.

These taliban types are savages for a reason. Most of them come from poverty and live their lives in a world where getting enough food to survive is an everyday challenge and where life is brutal and short.

Americans come from a land of prosperity, freedom, and resources. We are allowed to make choices in life, to get an education, to see the honor of a higher calling.

Urinating on dead bodies and making jokes about it is a step towards acting like the savages our men are supposed to be fighting. Videoing it and allowing others to watch is taking a giant leap towards acting like the savages we are supposed to be fighting. Taking joy in the desecration of dead bodies is sickening. On top of that, it will be used by terrorist to show other uneducated members of a desperate land and will be a tool for recruitment, which will without a doubt lead to more deaths of our soldiers.

I hope those involved are punished to the fullest extent possible. I hope Americans who see the video and laugh receive psychiatric care soon.
Maybe in your part of town. In my part of town, just getting a high school diploma and enough to eat everyday were challenges for more than a few of my classmates. And a lot of people in the Army and Marines come from my side of the tracks.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:58 AM

23,402 posts, read 17,081,478 times
new rule, you can shoot them but not pee on them...problem solved

2nd rule....make sure you pee before you kill an enemy combatant

there is so much propaganda and lies spread about the US by its enemies, such as was seen in Okinawa with civilians leaping to their death to avoid being eaten. This incident matters not a whit. Any political advantage gained by our enemies from this will be because we allow it.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:59 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,859,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Okay, new rule..."Do not pee on the dead bodies of the a$$holes who tried to kill you, and may have killed some of your buddies".

There, are folks happy now?
Yeah, because when I think of an act done out of disgusted rage, I think of gathering around with a bunch of buddies in front of the camera, pulling out your small penises in unison, peeing on the bodies while giggling and making jokes about golden showers.

Yes, this act was truly a heat of the moment thing and solely motivate by desire to avenge fallen comrades.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:37 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,606,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Do you hear yourself? It's okay to kill people, but God forbid don't urinate on them too, that would be disrespecful, and might send the wrong message. If you're going to send these guys into war, risking their lives and limbs, back them up! Is that too much to ask?
Filming a group of soldiers pissing on cue and allowing that video to get out absolutely sends the wrong message. Do you not realize this is probably one of the best recruitment tools for more suicide bombers we could have given the enemy?
I AM backing our guys up. I don't want more of them killed. And ignorant nonsense like making a video of corpse desecration will only increase the number of suicide attacks against our guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies