Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should MLK day be a holiday
yes 114 56.44%
no 73 36.14%
yes but only because I get the day off 15 7.43%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 04:11 PM

232 posts, read 151,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
Yes, but it shouldn't be used for a day of shopping at the mall. I think the message of Dr. King would be better served by a day of service, and schools should remain in session with a specific theme of the history of civil rights as the curriculum of the day.

Yeah not gonna happen. To many people would protest and I don't blame them. Would be the last day my kids would be in public school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 04:14 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,921,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
How many formally educated (college), well read, well spoken, has not mentioned bigoted views on other topics (homophobic, xenophobic, critical of other religions) have you met in life that have questioned the existence of the MLK holiday? I'm sorry but I have yet to meet one individual that meets all of this criteria. Most of the individuals who seem to criticize MLK are those who are members of a white supremacist group or openly express bigoted views about other topics. So whenever I see someone question the MLK holiday, the first impression that comes to mind is a bigot who uses the anti-MLK holiday as a safe platform to disparage Martin Luther King and the Civil Rights movement.
ding ding ding.

and the ones who whine and ***** are the same conservative republicans who always say mlk was a republican. aint that a *****

Old 01-13-2012, 04:26 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *StarDustBreeze* View Post
I Would Love To See The People Who Voted No...
I was one that openly voted no...you have a problem with somebody having their own opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
How many formally educated (college), well read, well spoken, has not mentioned bigoted views on other topics (homophobic, xenophobic, critical of other religions) have you met in life that have questioned the existence of the MLK holiday? I'm sorry but I have yet to meet one individual that meets all of this criteria. Most of the individuals who seem to criticize MLK are those who are members of a white supremacist group or openly express bigoted views about other topics. So whenever I see someone question the MLK holiday, the first impression that comes to mind is a bigot who uses the anti-MLK holiday as a safe platform to disparage Martin Luther King and the Civil Rights movement.
What a nice racist BS post you have going on..pat yourself on the back.

I do not "question" it's existence,perhaps you should re-read the OP since you are so educated,well spoken and have no bigoted views

Old 01-13-2012, 06:08 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
I think there should be a Civil Rights Holiday instead of a holiday for just Martin Luther King. Like Obama, Martin Luther King just brought a speech.

Why not honor others like Fannie Lou Hammer, Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King and others on a Civil Rights Holiday?
If you want to celebrate civil rights, then maybe you should lobby for a civil rights day. Would an African American day suit you? How about a day to celebrate how we civilized the Indians, or the liberation of the Japs from our camps.
Screw it, just celebrate waking up another day, and get on with your life. Indpendence Day is plenty good for all of us.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:35 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
I voted for choice 3, I always look forward to BBQing for MLK day while staying as far away from any MLK street/ave/boulevard as I possibly can.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:37 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
I have a big problem making 9/11 a holiday, a big problem

hol·i·day/ˈhäliˌdā/

Noun:A day of festivity or recreation when no work is done.
well, it should be a "national day of mourning". nothing should be open, no offices, factories, stores. there should be no sales....get the idea.

so don't take offence, I'm from NY, I have friends that worked in number one, so I understand.

maybe I just worded it bad. oh well.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:38 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Should Martin Luther King day be a holiday?

No

this I agree with. absolutely.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:42 PM

674 posts, read 698,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
How about a day to celebrate how we civilized the Indians
Who have you ever civilized?

Old 01-13-2012, 06:47 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
THIS question and thread again?
Yea, because i'm sure it wasn't asked last year.

It's a holiday people....stop whining and enjoy your day off.

Continuing weirdness from the strangest country on Earth....the only nation on the planet where its citizens complain about a day off.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:50 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
"the only nation on the planet where its citizens complain about a day off"

as we get passed first by China, than India, than.....

Having voted yes, I'd want another present holiday eliminated in its place, and my recommendation for elimination would be Labor Day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies