Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 01:14 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,651,531 times

Advertisements

Why are people trying to ban everything associated with Hip-Hop?I read something that siad Atlanta is trying to ban baggy pants.If this amendment passes,then it will spread spread to other cities,so it won't just affect people who wear baggy pants in Atlanta.As a person who wears baggy pants hearing something like this makes me mad.What buissness it of anyone else to tell someone what they can wear.I think people who wear pants up to there stomachs look silly,but Im not out trying to get that banned.This also brings me to the subject that our country is making way too many laws.Pretty soon you won't even be able to walk outside without getting a fine or getting arrested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 01:23 PM

420 posts, read 2,199,182 times
Is it baggy pants, or the showing of underwear? I believe it's the latter. I'm not really sure how I fall on this issue. I do think it's important to present yourself decently, and I certainly don't like to see people's underwear when I'm walking behind them in the city, but it's a bit far fetched to make a law out of it. I could really go either way, just because this problem certainly doesn't effect me, as I have a thing for belts and even more so, suspenders.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:26 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,626,781 times
When butt cracks are exposed by sagging pants, I think a fine is not unreasonable. But it has to apply to everyone, not just thugs.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetWarrior View Post
Is it baggy pants, or the showing of underwear? I believe it's the latter. I'm not really sure how I fall on this issue. I do think it's important to present yourself decently, and I certainly don't like to see people's underwear when I'm walking behind them in the city, but it's a bit far fetched to make a law out of it. I could really go either way, just because this problem certainly doesn't effect me, as I have a thing for belts and even more so, suspenders.
Well its not even a law yet in Atlanta,but if it becomes one I just feel it will end up eventually spreading to other cities.Many people who wear baggy pants also wear big shirts so I think thats BS talking about people showing of thier underwear,I know I wear big shirts.No,they just want to ban anything associated with Hip-Hop.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:39 PM

Also too,if they start banning sagging in cities,they also would have to ban swimsuits on beaches.If sagging is considered indecent exposure,than so should swimsuits.See what I mean,it would affect government people to ban swimsuits,so they won't do that,but it wouldn't affect them to ban sagging so they'll ban that.That sounds pretty hypocritical to me.Cause actually a city in Louisiana already made it so you could be fined for sagging,so Atlanta wouldn't be the first city to do so.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:12 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,552,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Also too,if they start banning sagging in cities,they also would have to ban swimsuits on beaches.If sagging is considered indecent exposure,than so should swimsuits.See what I mean,it would affect government people to ban swimsuits,so they won't do that,but it wouldn't affect them to ban sagging so they'll ban that.That sounds pretty hypocritical to me.Cause actually a city in Louisiana already made it so you could be fined for sagging,so Atlanta wouldn't be the first city to do so.
I won't get into an argument here, for there's no way to even address the legality of this, and, as many have alluded, it does lead down a slippery slope. But I do have a solution. ALL males, of ALL ages, should just agree to "sag" for 2 weeks. Elderly guys, school principals, police officers, clergymen, insurance salesmen, doctors, EVERYONE..if we all "sagged" for just a short time, I GUARANTEE the "saggers" would get so disgusted, they'd pull up their pants and we'd go on to bigger issues. What do you say, guys? Can we do it? Let's all get with the program here---the plumbers have already started---what are we waiting for?.....

Old 08-23-2007, 02:15 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,581,431 times
I can't imagine that it's baggy pants, it has to be sagging and showing underwear or butt. Who would measure "baggy?" Suit pants are baggy. If it's about what it shows, then it seems to me to be more about decency standards than an assault on hip hop per se.

I'm not sure about the swimsuit comaprison. Swimsuits do show skin, but under present laws you would probably be fined for walking down main street in your underwear, but you would be okay at the beach. I think it has to do with more than what's shown. A lot of places do outlaw thongs.

Great idea macmeal!

Last edited by Rggr; 08-23-2007 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: To agree with macmeal's idea!!

Old 08-23-2007, 02:59 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,897 times
It's so pathetic. Popular music including rock and r&b is dead. The art of rap is long gone too. Pop is manufactured crap from a computer and hip hop is a trainwreck of untalented idiots with little artistic talent or integrety.

The soul has been sucked out of all it and what once was incredible r&b is now forgettable hip hop that is 100% image and 0% music or talent.

All that and baggy pants.

Maybe this will be a battle cry for the hip hop community. Certainly Katrina wasn't, certainly this administration's use of the Constitution as toilet paper wasn't, certainly, the illegal purging of 50,000 black voters in Florida in 2000 from the voting lists
did not get hip hoppers to get beyond the booty and $$$bling$$$

What will?

Baggy pants?

Old 08-23-2007, 03:47 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,220,300 times
Just another pathetic attempt by politicians to actually avoid focusing on important issues like poverty or crime. Hip-Hop isn't dead, Democracy with a purpose is dead....how sad

Old 08-23-2007, 08:55 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,294 times
baggy pants? will this stop the obscenenity of plumbers showing us their butt cracks when they bend over?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies