Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 10:47 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,082,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
UI is causing high unemployment numbers.
At this juncture in the recession, I tend to agree with you. When sh*t hit the fan in 2008 and 2009, it made sense to roll out the additional safety net. But now i'm of the opinion that jobs are available, and people are simply walking past them after performing their own personal cost/benefit analysis. The only reason they are able to do this is because the steady flow of Unemployment Benefits. It pays more to suck the government teat, thereby increasing reliance on the government, which is exactly the goal of Liberalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 10:52 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,623,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Of course they're still my friends....but I can't say definitively that it's something that I will agree with them on should we ever broach the subject.
I see. They are still your friends because you won't ask them for the money they took out of your wallet.

You feel so strongly about unemployed people taking cash out of your wallet, but you won't confront these people about it? Why not? It's a perfect way to make a difference, don't you think? That is what you are trying to do in this thread, right? Make a difference?

You just want all of the other people on the 99-week gravy train to get off at the next station.

It's OK for your friends, though.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:56 AM

6,898 posts, read 4,741,788 times
Quote:
Just last night I spoke to a friend whose wife had collected 99 weeks of unemployment benefits. Those benefits expired at the end of December, he proclaimed. Mysteriously enough, he also mentioned that she got a call from the local Victoria's Secret offering her a job two days after an interview she participated in last week.

Anecdotal, yes. But I find this to be highly suspect. What are the chances of not finding a job in the previous 99 weeks that unemployment benefits were flowing, but on the 100th week.......when UI benefits are exhausted..... all of a sudden a job presents itself?

How many millions of Americans are milking my wallet dry in order to live on Easy Street?
Except for the fed extentions, unemployment is not funded with tax dollars. It is not welfare and it does end eventually. I don't blame her for milking it, she paid into it as did her previous employer and after witnessing how many cheat the wefare system and ss disability, can you blame her.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:04 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,082,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Except for the fed extentions, unemployment is not funded with tax dollars. It is not welfare and it does end eventually. I don't blame her for milking it, she paid into it as did her previous employer and after witnessing how many cheat the wefare system and ss disability, can you blame her.
Can you tell us when and where you've ever had "unemployment" taxes taken out of your paycheck?

Saying that "she paid into it" is a fallacy. The employer, the state, the federal government, yes. Her, not so much, unless the general idea of money fungibility is thrown in. But as a matter of policy, i'm not aware of employees directly paying into the unemployment pot.

I think 3 states might have some sort of UI tax, but i'm not sure about that. Perhaps you can set me straight?

Old 01-12-2012, 11:28 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,473,815 times
The states that do have employees contribute , the amount is so minute that after collecting for 1 month they have recouped what they paid in in a lifetime.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:10 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,680,715 times
Quote:
Yes, Easy Street. Mysteriously finding a job on week 100 suggests to me that life must not have been too terribly hard for the previous 99 weeks that unemployment benefits were flowing.
Okay, for some unemployment is not an easy street. Let's say you are a self supporting single person or a single parent of 1 living in Arizona. You only make $240 a week on unemployment. Not that easy to pay for necessities on that kind of money. Then, what about a married couple who have both been laid off and live in Florida? They have kids to support and make $275 a week on unemployment. Again, not an easy street. A job will be a great prize for any of the people I just mentioned.

I am not saying you are wrong. I was laid off with a woman whose husband makes great money working for the government. She said that she was planning on not looking for work and drawing unemployment for the whole 99 weeks. Another woman I know also had a husband with a great job. He made enough money where he could easily support both of them. She took unemployment, didn't bother looking for work either. She used her unemployment checks to buy new shoes every week.

This is an example of why I think unemployment benefits should be means tested. If you are laid off and married to a spouse who makes a six figure salary, I don't think the taxpayers should be on the hook for your weekly shopping trips.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:27 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,223,959 times
Quote:
Just last night I spoke to a friend whose wife had collected 99 weeks of unemployment benefits. Those benefits expired at the end of December, he proclaimed. Mysteriously enough, he also mentioned that she got a call from the local Victoria's Secret offering her a job two days after an interview she participated in last week.

Anecdotal, yes. But I find this to be highly suspect. What are the chances of not finding a job in the previous 99 weeks that unemployment benefits were flowing, but on the 100th week.......when UI benefits are exhausted..... all of a sudden a job presents itself?

How many millions of Americans are milking my wallet dry in order to live on Easy Street?
There are tons of people living off of Unemployment Benefits or better said welfare checks! I know of a couple friends of friends in NYC, just living off their unemployment. Sick.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:35 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,436,223 times
Quote:

Victoria's Secret? Pix please.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:38 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,080,845 times
If you really consider this couple to be your "friends", why don't you just come out and ask them instead of discussing them behind their backs on a public forum?

Old 01-12-2012, 07:55 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,874,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
In other threads you seem to imply that unemployment is Obama's fault, now you claim it's the unemployed. Care to explain the discrepancies? Which one is it, are there jobs or are there not jobs?
A correlation exists between the continued high, abnormal jobless recovery and 99 weeks of UE benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies