Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 01:18 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,586,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
You are right, its horribly sad that many, many, many folks will never have the ability to better themselves. They have been steeped in the extremes of poverty, held down by bigotryfor generations and that without at least some handouts they haven't a chance of getting out of it. Ever Without some handouts and aid, many people black, hispanic and white would literally go without food for days on end. Too many children in this country have one meal a day, and that is provided at school. Many old people share their food with their pets. Or should I say, their pets food with themselves. I imagine it does suck horribly to live in this dark world where there is no control over their own existence. You and I haven't ever experienced it, but the numbers are growing everyday. I think the latest hunger numbers are 1 in 9. That's astounding!!!! How can you complain about how lazy and useless all those poor people are, and in the next posting think they will majically pull themselves up by their bootstraps and have a nice life? True poverty unfortunately breeds more poverty, as jobs are taken away from the poorest of the working poor and sent to countries where corporations can pay next to slave labor wages with no regulations on children working or worker conditions the lower working classes fall into abject poverty, the lower middle class falls into poverty and every class slides down on top of that heap. Not a pretty picture, I'm glad you are finally seeing it.
Like I said, your world must really stink. Because in my world, you can overcome these things, and you don't need much help - you just have to be willing to give of yourself and put in the effort. Sure, your path as the son of a landscaper will be HARDER than say, being the son of Larry Ellison - but there is a path. It just depends on whether you're willing to do what needs to be done in order to follow it. Most aren't. They would rather blame someone else than pull themselves up and make stuff happen.

You are apparently one of those people. That's too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 01:18 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,890 times
By the way, "stan4", I'm retired, so I won't have to worry about it. But you come across like a young upstart that hasn't learned a lot yet. Beware...

The day is coming when you will be replaced by a computer.

Have a nice life.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
By the way, "stan4", I'm retired, so I won't have to worry about it. But you come across like a young upstart that hasn't learned a lot yet. Beware...

The day is coming when you will be replaced by a computer.

Have a nice life.
Maybe he's one of the people who has to manage the computer...

Old 01-13-2012, 01:23 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,103,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
Not wanting your tax dollars to pay for it is not the same as denying education for others. If I refuse to buy someone something they still have the right to obtain it. Your trying to say it is everyone's responsibility to send everyone to college.that isn't even close to what the poster was saying That's ridiculous.you would be right, it would be ridiculous I know you post was not directed at me, so what. Why do the rest of you out there keep denying me that new car I need?whhhhhaaaat? Where did that come from?

There shouldn't be scholarships available to everyone. For one thing there are plenty of jobs that shouldn't require a college degree and who is going to collect the garbage, work retail and work in factories? Even the lowliest of jobs require education at least to the high school level. If not college than a return to job training courses for the non college bound. Are we all going to be doctors, lawyers, CEO's? Aren't there people that should take a different route than this? Education is valuable and can't be given away for free without cheapening the quality of it and dumbing it down. The same can be said for health care.

Tax dollars have provided exceptional public educations for generations of people. Fairly inexpensively I might add, and adding great value for the country. It was never given away free, people earned the right to this education by being a tax paying American citizens. Our money simply went into the big pot, and a portion was removed to provide education for its citizens. Scholarships would remain the same. The same with health care. We already provide it to the military, to the congress and other government agencies, to those over 65, to those on disability, to the young. We would simply be expanding coverage to include everyone else, and having everyone pay into the system. Nothing cheapening the quality of either system, nor dumbing them down.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:23 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
If one is poor and uneducated, then it is better to spend time on education then making children that one has no possibility of raising well, much less support.

If one is poor, then there is no time for gaming, texting, surfing the net, watching TV, going to the track, hanging out, or anything else non-productive.

If one is poor, then there is no room for cigarettes, alcohol, or drugs.

It may make for a dull boy, but all work and little to no play will fix the poverty problem for most.

The rest, if the families can't or won't help, we as a society can help.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
It won't be long before the computer that manages the computer is built....oh yeah, they already have been. We live in a 4G world, and that is about to be replaced.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:27 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,890 times
Quote:
That's what I mean. As software becomes more advanced, it will be taught to do it's own maintenance and correct it's own problems. Even right now, I have an extra hard drive in my computer with software that automatically corrects corrupted files when a virus or trojan gets in. Automatically removes the malware and accurately reconstructs the file. For some years, now, companies like utilities have relied on computers to send the bills out to their customers. It won't be long before the computers will also be used in place of executives. Robots will do the work in the plants, and what is he going to do? Go around recycling scrap? Gee... He should have worked smarter.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Like I said, your world must really stink. Because in my world, you can overcome these things, and you don't need much help - you just have to be willing to give of yourself and put in the effort. Then you live in Xanadu, Xanathos....for sure! Not in the USA Sure, your path as the son of a landscaper will be HARDER than say, being the son of Larry Ellison - but there is a path. It just depends on whether you're willing to do what needs to be done in order to follow it. But on that path, are piles of logs, then streams to cross, then rivers to forge, then mountains to cross all along the way and if a person gets hurt, or lost, or are simply too worn out by all those obstacles then the son of Larry will already be living in the Hamptons. My son of the landscaper is still back at the 2nd obstacle and he's already 50. Most aren't. They would rather blame someone else than pull themselves up and make stuff happen. Like I said, you do not live in the real world, or are too young to realize just how difficult life can be because you have had nothing in your life yet that provided serious obstacles that your "place" in the world couldn't overcome. Family, money, opportunity-wise. Hopefully you can live in that blissful world forever, as some do...but I doubt it.

You are apparently one of those people. That's too bad. Not so sad. I live in a large home on 2 gorgeous acres, owned 2 houses, owned a 39 foot and have traveled the world...... all I had to do was ,be born of the right generation when education and life opportunities were more plentiful and be born to a solid family situation. Oh yeah and look pretty and marry well! But you keep working hard yourself...its good for the soul.
Carry on

Old 01-13-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
That's what I mean. As software becomes more advanced, it will be taught to do it's own maintenance and correct it's own problems. Even right now, I have an extra hard drive in my computer with software that automatically corrects corrupted files when a virus or trojan gets in. Automatically removes the malware and accurately reconstructs the file. For some years, now, companies like utilities have relied on computers to send the bills out to their customers. It won't be long before the computers will also be used in place of executives. Robots will do the work in the plants, and what is he going to do? Go around recycling scrap? Gee... He should have worked smarter.
You're talking about things like SCOM. Guess what you need for that to work? A SCOM Administrator. Someone still has to manage the application that manages the computers. Not only that, but a computer can only do so much on its own - there's always going to have to be people behind the scenes to tell the computer to tell the other computers what to do.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
But on that path, are piles of logs, then streams to cross, then rivers to forge, then mountains to cross all along the way and if a person gets hurt, or lost, or are simply too worn out by all those obstacles then the son of Larry will already be living in the Hamptons. My son of the landscaper is still back at the 2nd obstacle and he's already 50.
Like I said, the path is harder - but there is a path. Maybe instead of focusing on how easy some people have it people should focus on the best way for THEM to advance - and no, taking from the guy who has it easy isn't the answer.

Quote:
Like I said, you do not live in the real world, or are too young to realize just how difficult life can be because you have had nothing in your life yet that provided serious obstacles that your "place" in the world couldn't overcome. Family, money, opportunity-wise. Hopefully you can live in that blissful world forever, as some do...but I doubt it.
You have no idea my background. My background is one of those ones that you claim a person could never escape from. Yet I have. And I've done it with basically no assistance. Certainly less than is available to anybody. I'm walking, talking, eating, drinking, breathing, crapping proof it can be done.

Quote:
Not so sad. I live in a large home on 2 gorgeous acres, owned 2 houses, owned a 39 foot and have traveled the world...... all I had to do was ,be born of the right generation when education and life opportunities were more plentiful and be born to a solid family situation. Oh yeah and look pretty and marry well! But you keep working hard yourself...its good for the soul.
Yeah see, you took a different career path: Digging for gold. Now THAT is something not everybody has the ability to do. Lots of women take that route. You were essentially a predator to some socially awkward male that didn't realize he was marrying down. That's a whole other topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies