Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Grant President the Power to do this?
Yes 23 46.00%
No 26 52.00%
Do not know 1 2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 11:58 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,821 times

Advertisements

My prediction is that his proposal will get tied to something else like extending the Bush Tax Cuts, which will shift the debate and allow the Republicans to avoid handing the political advantage to the President in a presidential election year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 12:09 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Both parties have always wanted to cut waste. I don't see how anyone would be against it.
Of course, you failed to read the words about this being an election year and that Obama said he would ask for this very thing in his SOTU message last January and then waited a year to ask. I would say that this being an election year and him wanting to make Republicans look bad because this supposedly will restrict the size of the government had too much to do with the timing of this request.

Yes, this is just another of his ploys to make Republicans look bad knowing that they won't succumb to this request. I wonder how many votes he can "buy" with this ploy. More than two or three I see in the results of this poll.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
That's why he's asking for the SAME, exact powers that their darling Reagan was given and used. Let them espouse him, and try to demagog him at the same time.
Did you actually read the words in that link. It says that for 50 years Presidents had that power and that it ceased to be in 1984 while Reagan was in office. You have to read the words of links, not just say what you know other Dems want to hear.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
At least 6 so far are against it but failed to say why. I know why, Party not Nation, but am still waiting for one to have the guts to say it.
I got here late but think I said why I voted no in my recent post to Finn. I see that you failed to read your link any better some of your left leaning buddies did. Read it again and you can see the very reasons I voted no. I might point out to you that he said he would ask for this in his 2011 SOTU and then in a wonderful case of timing did ask nearly one whole year later. It is so obvious that he finally did it in order to get people to accept the fact that Republicans don't really want leaner government. Did he mention who he wanted to take the position of "boss" of those 6 offices to be thrown in one? I didn't see that part.

Hey, maybe MSNBC doesn't always write what they say on TV. In fact, I think that the written part may be more likely to be honest than the TV part.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I know....I have another thread about the proposal and some people have defended their opposition in weird ways. One even said that he opposes it coming from Obama, but would support it from Romney. That pretty much crystallizes the mindset.
I don't trust Romney any more than I do Obama. Is that a fair thing to say. Any vote I cast for Romney is just a vote against Obama. That has nothing to do with party since it is the man I don't like although I don't like Romney either.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Yes.
Why? Casper requires GOP voters to say so how about you?

Old 01-13-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Other presidents have had and used this power, while people scream about cutting waste with obstructions in both the senate and house not doing anything to fix it. I am getting tired of the shrieks every time Obama does something, even if it was what these idiots wanted, of "He's evil! It's different when he uses things presidents throughout history have used, it makes him dictatorial!"
Did you notice in the link that Presidents had that power for about 50 years and that it expired in 1984 while Reagan held the office? He lost the power and he was the most dictatorial President, according to you, we have ever had.

Did you also fail to see the part about him talking about this move in his SOTU last January and is finally asking for it to happen? I say that is so he can tell the people that the GOP doesn't really stand for leaning down the government.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
If you are a republican you have to be against this because you are normally against anything and everything Obama wants and proposes no matter how good it is for our nation.
Maybe you need to read the link and find out some of the reasons why what you say is not really true.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:26 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Then why are they not doing it, I see no move by either the House or Senate in that direction?
Besides, what the Congress grants, as in these powers, they can also take away, so once again, I ask why it is a bad idea, since it would obviously help the Nation?
reduction or consolidating departments would shuffle money. The purse strings are a congressional power not executive.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:27 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I got here late but think I said why I voted no in my recent post to Finn. I see that you failed to read your link any better some of your left leaning buddies did. Read it again and you can see the very reasons I voted no. I might point out to you that he said he would ask for this in his 2011 SOTU and then in a wonderful case of timing did ask nearly one whole year later. It is so obvious that he finally did it in order to get people to accept the fact that Republicans don't really want leaner government. Did he mention who he wanted to take the position of "boss" of those 6 offices to be thrown in one? I didn't see that part.

Hey, maybe MSNBC doesn't always write what they say on TV. In fact, I think that the written part may be more likely to be honest than the TV part.
Yes, I did read the entire article before posting it, only fools post articles without knowing what is in them. That said, I still ask why it would be so bad to allow him to merge some departments and save the Nation money, isn't that what the right wants, how can you complain about the budget if you do not want anyone to do something about it? Or is that you just don't want Obama to do anything about it but instead your guys so they can get the credit, I mean since none of them are pushing this issue that means they are not interested in doing it. Obama wants to do it now, whether it is for political gain or not does not matter so long as the Nation is put in a better position. Oh and would say this about any President, even Bush or one of the GOP candidates if they were to get elected, this is more important than Political Parties and who gets the credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies