Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2012, 04:17 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
24th Amendment:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 04:18 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It seems getting a government ID is an excessive barrier to voting for poor Democrats, yet illegals have no problem getting government IDs.
And I guess poor Republicans can get IDs too since you're only worried about the Dems.

Do you see anything wrong with this picture ???
And illegals also swim across a river, run through the desert at night, pack multiple people into vans etc. to cross the border. Should we also make that requirements to vote? What illegals do to get a job has no bearing on what citizens should have to do to exercise a basic right.

that's exactly my point. Poor republicans are also going to get the shaft. if you truly cared about constitutional and civil rights you'd be as upset about this policy as any Liberal or Democrat. republicans consider lost votes on the republican side as collateral damage because the overwhelming majority of people affected are going to come from the Democratic base.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
And illegals also swim across a river, run through the desert at night, pack multiple people into vans etc. to cross the border. Should we also make that requirements to vote? What illegals do to get a job has no bearing on what citizens should have to do to exercise a basic right.

that's exactly my point. Poor republicans are also going to get the shaft. if you truly cared about constitutional and civil rights you'd be as upset about this policy as any Liberal or Democrat. republicans consider lost votes on the republican side as collateral damage because the overwhelming majority of people affected are going to come from the Democratic base.
Exactly! My mom was a Republican. (See my previous post upthread about her driver's license.)

Old 01-14-2012, 04:36 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You were responding to a post about paying for one. It has been ruled illegal to make people pay to vote.
No one is paying to vote since IDs in states are free ( At least all states I've lived in). So what exactly is the cost?

Old 01-14-2012, 04:36 PM

58,960 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
That's pretty much what the Republicans are counting on. Yes.

Of course, its absurd, but that never stopped a good right wing red herring.
So, why would repub run states issue ID cards for free AND offer to provide transportation for them to get the free cards?

Other than what you "think", do you have ANY data to support your assertion?

Old 01-14-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
If you don't have a drivers license like many city folks don't, as they use public transportation, or poor rural folks, or old folks that don't drive anymore. No reason for these people to have a photo ID. Now if you make photo ID's a requirement of voting for the whole country, then those people who are too old, handicapped, poor or with no access to go and pay for and/or obtain such a photo id would not be able to vote. that would be unconstitutional and I'm sure the constitution is VERY important to you.

Unless we are going to spend all that taxpaper money to have photo ID vans going into every city, town and rural area around the country to ensure that every single person that is elegible to vote and wants to vote can.... as is the law now. Then as you have these vans going around photographing them, how are you going to determine that they are legal to vote anyway and not an ex-con, or illegal immigrant or too young. Are you going to then ask for a birth certificate?

Oh, and BTW? How are you going to get those photo ID's shown to a precinct worker on the absentee ballots?
lol Sorry who doesnt have at least a state ID now a days since you cant do many things without some form of id

Cant get a job without an ID
Cant open a bank account without an ID which means you cant cash a check.

I dont know how anyone lives without at least a state ID

Old 01-14-2012, 04:43 PM

Free Wisconsin ID cards for voting

Obtaining an ID card - Wisconsin Department of Transportation
a FREE Voter Identification Card, GA
Georgia Photo ID
Several state governments have paid for and distributed free voter IDs to help them comply.[2]
Voter ID laws (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So once again what exactly is the cost and problem?

Old 01-14-2012, 04:46 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
I have to show my ID every single time I go to the Dr. (same one since 1985 when I became one of her first patients right out of residency. She and I have grown old together.).

I have to show my ID when I go to the Urologist.

I have to show ID every time I buy alcohol (at the same store I'm in daily to pick up a newspaper and cigarettes).

One store here cards everyone for cigarettes.

If I wish to buy old-fashioned Sudafed I have to show ID and sign a roster.

I will occasionally be carded when picking up prescriptions, it's a random prompt on the register at the pharmacy.

I have to show both an employee ID and a state issued ID when I wish to enter some buildings of the school system where I work, the ones where upper Administrative offices are located.

Parents have to show ID to pick up their child in the school system where I live, and a copy of the ID is made every single time.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
No one is paying to vote since IDs in states are free ( At least all states I've lived in). So what exactly is the cost?
If you have to pay for the birth certificate to get the ID, that is a cost. Not to mention time consuming.

Quote:
lol Sorry who doesnt have at least a state ID now a days since you cant do many things without some form of id

You're late to the party; obviously missed a couple of posts that documented elderly people (including my mom, a Republican) whose driver's licenses have expired, have their social security checks on direct deposit. have long had a bank account and aren't out opening new ones, etc.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:

Obviously a huge Democratic voting bloc if they are so against this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies