Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 12:22 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,559,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
As a wise poster once wrote, "The truth has a liberal bias."
I think I was the one who wrote that, curtsey of Stephen Colbert of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 12:24 AM

5,767 posts, read 4,994,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
I think I was the one who wrote that, curtsey of Stephen Colbert of course.
Then I owe you; I've used it liberally.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:26 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,559,679 times
Quote:
Then I owe you; I've used it liberally.
No prob. I borrowed the phrase myself. It's a favorite retort of mine when debating right wingers.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:27 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,272,153 times
Quote:
Politics is irrelevant. I'd have to read the LA Times article to see the context in which the term was used before attempting to judge the intent. If it was used in a satirical or tongue-in-cheek manner, that's one thing. If the columnist used it in a critical way, it merits blame. However, Rush certainly used it in a derogatory way and we all know that his fan base is huge; using it regularly gave racists the idea that it's okay to hate others overtly again.
If you haven't even read the article I question how you can even comment on Limbaugh's parody of it. You have to look at what Limbaugh actually said and not your imagined thoughts of how people reacted to it.

Anyway, anyone who has listened regularly to Limbaugh knows that he's no racist. His main associate and longtime righthand man, James Golden, is black, and one of his regular fill-ins economist Walter E Williams is black. And a guy that Rush often touts as one of his intellectual gurus, economist Thomas Sowell. Justice Clarence Thomas presided over Limbaugh's last wedding. I know the old cliche about 'but I have black friends' but really does that sound like the lifestyle of a white supremacist?

Old 12-14-2011, 12:28 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,389,370 times
Quote:
Amazing, isn't it?
It was the liberals who started the pissing contest.

Quote:
Myself, I feel so sorry for the little girl in question; no child should be humiliated in that way, singled out for being "other."
I agree completely.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:29 AM

765 posts, read 2,119,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
It was the liberals who started the pissing contest.
And that's not a childish response?

Old 12-14-2011, 12:32 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,272,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
Since when is Cincinnati a "highly Democratic area"? It's one of the most conservative big cities in the US.
How did 'one of the most conservative big cities' come to elect Democrat Jerry Springer as mayor?

Old 12-14-2011, 12:33 AM

765 posts, read 2,119,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
How did 'one of the most conservative big cities' come to elect Democrat Jerry Springer as mayor?
Most big cities lean left, but Cincinnati itself is one of the least democratic of these big cities, its surrounding area is also incredibly conservative.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I actually feel sorry for the landlady. That type of racism/bigotry is born out of a person who lacks power, prestige and position in their own lives. People like that can only empower themselves by stepping on the necks of others.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I'm sure that she felt "superior" for a brief moment in time but now she must deal with the consequences of those actions.
I'm sure she still feels superior and that any consequences she faces won't change that. The fact this sort of thing still happens in 2011 is terrifying. It would be one thing if it was in Mississippi or Alabama (it would certainly be just as bad, but it would be less shocking), but in Ohio?

Old 12-14-2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
And that's not a childish response?
Certainly, but it was an appropriate response to the liberal poster who said "amazing, isn't it?" in response to another poster expressing her frustration about the thread turning into a Republican vs. Democrat cat fight. Another liberal poster started it and he/she participated in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies