Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 03:08 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Never money. However I do buy people food who look like they need it.

The one time it really ever pulled at my heart strings, I was walking out of a papa murphy's with three pizzas for my kids b-day party. Here was this really destitute looking fellow, very dirty, smelled and looked like he was going to keel over. He asked for something to eat no money. There was a subway next door so a went inside bought him a foot long hot pastrami and soup. took it to him. I opened up the tail gate of my Avalanche so he could sit down and enjoy it. It was cold that day and I had two spare jackets from work in my backseat. I gave it to him. As he sat there devouring the food I called the local interfaith community service center where my family and I volunteer all the time. I told them I was with this homeless guy who looked like he wouldn't last the week unless he got some immediate help. They sent down a counselor picked the guy up and gave him a place to stay for a month. Food, medical and dental. Follow up the guy made it and left the shelter. Don't know what happened to him but I do know he didn't die because I didn't have ten minutes and a couple of bucks to spare.

Other than that I'm a hard hearted bastard SOB.
That was most excellent of you to care about that man!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 03:09 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I do not support Social Security -
I similarly don't support Medicaid. .
But you just said they should apply for benefits, benefits you oppose???
Quote:
Never. If you're homeless you are either
G) There because you're mentally disabled - in which case, you should go apply for disability benefits.

I don't reward bad decision makers and people who choose to be drains upon society.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:11 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
If someone is panhandling, buy them groceries, give them a job and pay them for their work, bring them blankets, diapers, medicine but don't give them cash. Most of them are not seeking anything but cash because they are substance abusers....sorry but it's a reality.

There are also homeless shelters that have homeless children that require clothes, blankets, diapers etc. Give to those

Old 01-13-2012, 03:12 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Most of the time, depending on the circumstances.

I will give my last dollar to a cripple.

I will ignore a "full time healthy looking" panhandler.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:13 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
I do not support Social Security - mainly because it's a forced Ponzi scheme that you have no ability to opt out of - and the reality is anybody under the age of 40 is unlikely to ever see a nickel of the money they put in.

I similarly don't support Medicaid. Paying to give someone else free health care? When I was a consultant, not even *I* had health insurance, yet I damn sure had to pay a boatload in taxes every quarter to pay for someone else's.

Things like food stamps are a grey area.
I agree that that is a stupid situation. Thus I am in favor of a system where everyone pays into the system and everyone is covered.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:20 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,549 times
There is no reason for panhandlers in Ohio where they can go down to social services and get a food card for 200 bucks a month. With that type of money a person is not starving to death, since I am poor I do not give them sheet.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:26 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
There is no reason for panhandlers in Ohio where they can go down to social services and get a food card for 200 bucks a month. With that type of money a person is not starving to death, since I am poor I do not give them sheet.
Hard to cook without a stove, etc.

200 dollars a month for food, 3 meals a day, 7 days a week, 31 days a month.

Thats less then 7 dollars a day. That isn't exactly "living".

Most people on food stamps or public food assistance are working, turning a paycheck, and just trying to make ends meet. The general consensus between the citizens of these United States is that if you are working, you shouldn't be hungry.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:32 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
I like to give, but not money. I remember giving a pack of peanuts to a begging woman years ago, she was quite surprised
But I felt a bid odd, like telling her what to eat and saying, I don't trust you in your decision what to do with money. Thinking about it, I hope she had no peanut allergy, maybe I killed that woman

I do donate to one of those food organizations, though, they help a lot of people in an organized way.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:33 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,196,723 times
If I have some, but most of the time I just buy them food.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:36 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times
Mental illness often takes people to the streets. I was sitting on a bus one day when I saw some people eating on a bench. When they were done, they got up and left their scraps--half eaten chicken it looked like and fries. An older lady sat down right away and slowly inched her way over to the scraps and finally looked around. When she thought no one was looking, she picked it up and started eating it. I don't know how someone can't be moved by that. Moved enough to help, not just make a sad face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies