Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 04:45 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,355,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
WRONG.

10% of black voters - 70% voted for the ban on gay marriage.

Local Exit Polls - Election Center 2008 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com
Nope. I aready said the early exit polls were later shown to be incorrect, so why link to it again?

Voters Race/Ethnicity/Voted Yes on Prop 8
(68%) White 49
(7%) African American 58
(14%) Latino/Hispanic 59
(7%) Asian 48

http://www.thetaskforce.org/download...op8_1_6_09.pdf

Last edited by Ceist; 01-15-2012 at 05:41 AM..

Old 01-15-2012, 05:02 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,355,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I'm black and a Democrat. I don't support gay marriage. I also don't condemn homosexuality. Being anti-gay marriage does not equal being homophobic or a bigot. Not sure why that's always the conclusion that some leap to in this debate.

The issue for gays seems to be having access to the same rights that marriages provide (which I fully support). Quite honestly, it seems like the best route to having this done is to fight to have civil unions afford gay couples these rights. Expecting the US to include gay couples under the marriage umbrella will probably take another 50 years.

No matter how marriage was originally defined, it is, for millions of people, considered a union between a man and a woman. Unfortunately, no matter how much it is argued that it isn't "fair" to exclude gays, I am against redefining marriage.

And no sure why blacks are blamed for Prop 8. Asians were almost half-and-half on the issue as well. I wonder why they are never "blamed"?

News flash: Blacks don't "owe" gay people their support. The attempt to guilt minorities into lending their support is very interesting.

BTW, I'm neither a racist nor a bigot. If you choose to believe otherwise, that's your problem.
So do you think that interracial marriages between blacks and whites should be called an interracial 'union' not marriage? With the same rights of course to those white/white marriages - just not the same name. Because you know, marriage was considered a union between a man and a woman of the same race for hundreds of years in the US. It took the US Supreme Court to 'redefine' marriage 45 years ago so that blacks and whites could legally marry in all States in the US. Were they wrong to go against the will of the majority of people back then when more than 70% of people thought it should be illegal? Perhaps they should have waited until the mid 1990's (less than 20 years ago) when finally slightly more than 50% of people in the US thought that interracial marriage should be legal.

History on Screen- Interracial Marriage

Why the Ugly Rhetoric Against Gay Marriage is so Familiar to this Historian of Miscegenation

We’ve Heard this Before: The Legacy of Interracial Marriage Bans and the Implications for Today’s Marriage Equality Debates,” Vermont Law Review 34, no. 2 (2009) (http://lawreview.vermontlaw.edu/articles/v34/2/johnson.pdf - broken link)

Gay Marriage Has Twice the Support Today That Interracial Marriage Had When It Was Legalized in the 1960s

I wonder if many people in the 1960's thought that being anti-interracial marriage did not equal being racist or a bigot?

Do you think that people who are still anti-interracial marriage now in 2012 (and there are quite a few especially in the south) are racists or bigots?

Last edited by Ceist; 01-15-2012 at 05:46 AM..

Old 01-15-2012, 07:42 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,065,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm Gay, and I'm flatly opposed to Gay marriage, guess that makes me a racist!

Lots of Gay people opposed to Gay marriage!

Lots of heterosexuals opposed to hetrosexual marriage also!
So you are against a person being able to marry the person of their choice.
Same sex people shouldn't be allowed to live together either, right?

Everyone should stop calling it Gay Marriage, Gays have been getting married forever, just not to the person they really want to.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:42 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,344,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
And here is where the gay bull sh^t meets the road. Marriage, which has to this point been so important to homosexuals seeking to marry their own sex, is now thrown out the window provided it can be denied equally to heteroseuals.

Here's the question none of the homosexual marriage advocates have ever been able to answer. If marriage isn't based on the natural sexual design of males and females such that one man should marry one woman, by what objective and logically consistent principle is it limited to only two persons?
No one said you can't get married. Go to your local church, if they want to marry you great.

But if you want a legal union, go get one, but it isn't a marriage.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:49 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,273,857 times
I think the bigger correlation would not be so much those that oppose gay marriage, but the ones that are vehemently anti-gay.

I'm willing to wager that the vast majority of people who are very anti-gay are probably racist.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:00 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,731,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I think the bigger correlation would not be so much those that oppose gay marriage, but the ones that are vehemently anti-gay.

I'm willing to wager that the vast majority of people who are very anti-gay are probably racist.
Why would you wager that?

Why do gay people equate sexual preference to racial inequality? You can abstain from being sexually active with someone of the same sex. People of color do not have the option of changing or abstaining from their race.

Sorry, in addition to being quite a stretch when gay people attempt to parallel and or compare the two, you lose a lot of potential support when you do so.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
Why would you wager that?

Why do gay people equate sexual preference to racial inequality? You can abstain from being sexually active with someone of the same sex. People of color do not have the option of changing or abstaining from their race.

Sorry, in addition to being quite a stretch when gay people attempt to parallel and or compare the two, you lose a lot of potential support when you do so.
That's not what I said.

You completely misconstrued my point. Correlation does not equal cause.

People who are anti-gay are bigots and bigots tend to be racist. It's that simple. Racists also tend to be anti-immigrant and nationalist, what does that have to do with race??

By the way, you can't abstain from being gay, either you aren't or you are.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
That's not what I said.

You completely misconstrued my point. Correlation does not equal cause.

People who are anti-gay are bigots and bigots tend to be racist. It's that simple. Racists also tend to be anti-immigrant and nationalist, what does that have to do with race??

By the way, you can't abstain from being gay, either you aren't or you are.
Out of the gate you take an entire population of people and assume that they are bigots and tend to be racist because they disagree (probably for a variety of reasons) with a the premise of homoSEXUALITY without a shred of evidence to back up your personal hypothesis.

Second, I never stated that anyone can abstain from being gay. What I stated is that you can abstain from having sex with another member of the same sex.

Third, it is not racist nor is it a crime to be patriotic and want your laws enforced when it comes to ILLEGAL immigration. It is also not a crime to want controlled LEGAL immigration, particularly when your fellow countrymen/women are unemployed and losing their homes and cannot feed their families.

Not sure if its' a comprehension problem or not, but you took my entire post, created blanks and filled them in.

Last edited by PurpleRain_1; 01-15-2012 at 11:34 AM..

Old 01-15-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
Out of the gate you take an entire population of people and assume that they are bigots and tend to be racist because they disagree (probably for a variety of reasons) with a the premise of homoSEXUALITY without a shred of evidence to back up your personal hypothesis.

Second, I never stated that anyone can abstain from being gay. What I stated is that you can abstain from having sex with another member of the same sex.

Third, it is not racist nor is it a crime to be patriotic and want your laws enforced when it comes to ILLEGAL immigration. It is also not a crime to want controlled LEGAL immigration, particularly when your fellow countrymen/women are unemployed and losing their homes and cannot feed their families.

Not sure if its' a comprehension problem or not, but you took my entire post, created blanks and filled them in.
If you are anti-gay you are a bigot, sorry I couldn't find a more politically correct term.

Once again you don't understand the difference between correlation and causation. Being a nationalist doesn't make you racist, but odds are higher that you are.

Correlation does not imply causation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-15-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
If you are anti-gay you are a bigot, sorry I couldn't find a more politically correct term.

Once again you don't understand the difference between correlation and causation. Being a nationalist doesn't make you racist, but odds are higher that you are.

Correlation does not imply causation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
At the end of the day, you took my entire post and revised it to suit your agenda, yet you ignore that fact and proceed to still push your personal opinion as if it is fact.

In any event, I still don't agree with a word that you stated. Thus, we will agree to disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.