Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 08:58 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I've been around many, many, many situations where small dogs are not disciplined or punished for doing thing that would lead to a larger dog being so. People let little dogs get away with so much because of their size and the fact that many people have turned their tiny pooches into children who must be coddled. Some things little dogs get away with
That is so effin' true.
An example jumps right into my mind. When my older collie was younger (much younger), she had a bad habit of jumping up on people. 65 pounds of flopping fur trying to kiss you is annoying...and some people would get pissy about it (understandably). One of the people who would get pissy about it was this woman we worked with who had a long-haired dachshund. Turns out her dog was just as (if not more) fiesty, jumpy, paw-y, etc, as my dog. But he was so little, it was of no consequence and she never saw that her dog was EXACTLY THE SAME (if not worse) because he was so much smaller.

Another example is the dog bites that come into our ED. Lots of people (especially old people) have these little dogs. And they come in with dog bites from their little dogs. And they find some way to explain how they screwed up and the little dog had no choice but to bite them. But the big dog people stamp and swear and talk about how they are going home to shoot the big dog right away...why? Because the big dog bites are scarier, more severe/ravaging, and there isn't that, "Oh, you were oonsy woonsy tiny and felt scared and that's why you bitsy witsy mommy-wommy" thing with big dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 09:03 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,208,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Texas Boy Killed By Family's Pit Bull | Fox News

So which one is it today, pitbull apologists? It clearly says it was a family dog so I guess you can't make the excuse about it being raised to be a fighter.

I know: it was identified as a pitbull for sensationalism! That must be it!
This is a self defeating argument. The fact that the dog killed a child proves that it was either not properly bred, trained, or socialized. This doesn't implicate the breed. Plenty of other breeds have killed children when not properly bred, trained, and socialized.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:11 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
Look this topic has been beaten to death, my point is that I know not all pit bulls are bad but to claim that they are no more dangerous than any other breed is crazy talk.
I have to agree.
Not that they are the most dangerous, etc.
But that any dog can 'turn,' as my wife puts it.
The degree of damage that a dog that 'turns' can do varies from dog to dog.
And it's dishonest and ridiculous to say that some breeds (that were bred to do this - this is part of their unique make-up that makes the dog world so wonderful and varied) are more innately likely to go apesh*t with their attack.
You know, man and dog have lived together for over 40,000 years. We have co-evolved and are integral parts of each other's lives. At some point, we really let these guys down. When the irresponsible owners (of any dog) fail to maintain the proper relationship and discipline they should with their dogs, they fail them. Unfortunately, that failure costs the dog his life...it should cost the owner some jail time, IMO.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:50 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have to agree.
Not that they are the most dangerous, etc.
But that any dog can 'turn,' as my wife puts it.
The degree of damage that a dog that 'turns' can do varies from dog to dog.
And it's dishonest and ridiculous to say that some breeds (that were bred to do this - this is part of their unique make-up that makes the dog world so wonderful and varied) are more innately likely to go apesh*t with their attack.
You know, man and dog have lived together for over 40,000 years. We have co-evolved and are integral parts of each other's lives. At some point, we really let these guys down. When the irresponsible owners (of any dog) fail to maintain the proper relationship and discipline they should with their dogs, they fail them. Unfortunately, that failure costs the dog his life...it should cost the owner some jail time, IMO.
Agree with your post. What most people do, is get the dog for a "status symbol." If your going to own a dog it must be trained. If the person can't do it, then the dog needs a trainer and that's an investment most dog owners, don't think they need to pay into.
Not everyone, is dog worthy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies