Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 09:50 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,575,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
The biggest s-hole states in the U.S. are a California, NY, NJ, and Illinois. Blue states. Homeless, crime, filth, woke.
Well, I suppose when your standard is the ability to marry your first cousin, I can see your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2022, 09:58 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
The biggest s-hole states in the U.S. are a California, NY, NJ, and Illinois. Blue states. Homeless, crime, filth, woke.
When a nation is too full of people on the extreme ends of either spectrum things tend to be worse. My favorite states are gridlock states like Wisconsin. Both sides need each other to keep their extreme elements in check.

There's so much good progressives have done that conservatives have not, and vice-versa. Only a fool can't see all viewpoints and take a balanced, common sense approach. The tools are the ones that get caught up in their left/right cults.

There are neo-marxists trying to take over the democrat party right now. I actually like some of the elements proposed by some groups such as stakeholder capitalism but the most important thing is checks and balances. Our own nature is our worst enemy and allowing power to concentrate too much, no matter who is wielding that power, is a mistake that can be avoided with wisdom. No small group of people should be allowed dictate to a large group how things are done unless they are voted into power and given that responsibility, and then only under scrutiny. Some of our leaders are way too cocky and have this mentality that their final word is gospel. No it's not.

Old 05-24-2022, 10:27 AM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Battleships take over 2 dozen variables into account when firing their guns.

Amazing how one can determine the fate of entire nations success using just one variable.

10 years of aging has not improved the smell of this turd pile homage to anti science and innumeracy.

Old 05-24-2022, 10:34 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,749,948 times
Let me see if I have this right.

United States
Conservative areas-mostly white
Liberal areas-diverse/non white

Globally
Conservative areas-non white
Liberal areas-mostly white.

Old 05-24-2022, 10:42 AM

29,469 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Just pointing out it's the weather that attracts people who crap on the streets and not politics.
Debatable. All go with it though, since CA owns the homelessness problem in the US, although NYC, MN, and MA have their problems too, and they have pretty tough winters. Wonder why FL isn't in the top 15 list ?

Old 05-24-2022, 11:08 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
You are right on that point. The wealthiest states in the union are blue states and they have the highest standards of living. The poorest states are all deep red states. These bastions of conservatism have a very low standard of living. In fact the quality of life in states like Alabama and Mississippi is comparable to that of many Third World countries.
No it’s not. That’s a silly thing to say.

Are you seriously going to argue that living in the burbs of Austin, TX is worse than living in NYC? That’s just not true. Living in an affordable single family home, in a nice neighborhood, with decent schools and good jobs available is WAY BETTER than living in Manhattan in a $4500 1 bedroom apartment with two roommates. If it wasn’t, companies would be moving to NY instead of TX, but they’re not are they?

I’ll admit that Mississippi has a lot of problems, but so does NM. And NM is deep blue.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:26 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
Because first world countries are almost all democracies, democracies are liberal. Third world countries are mostly atrocious dictatorships, dictatorships would never be liberal.

Old 05-24-2022, 02:07 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
New Hampshire represents the essence of liberalism. It is a Democratic state with a libertarian streak. New Hampshire is as far as you can get from Third World conservatism. Their philosophy is: "live free or die".
New Hampshire Demographics
White: 92.88% Asian: 2.68% Two or more races: 2.10% Black or African American: 1.60%

Could that weigh in on the matter?

Old 05-24-2022, 02:09 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Because first world countries are almost all democracies, democracies are liberal. Third world countries are mostly atrocious dictatorships, dictatorships would never be liberal.
Damn you!

You're really killing the simplistic Red/Blue fetish the OP clings to.

I just dawned on me, I'm responding on a 10 year old thread, lol

Old 05-24-2022, 02:28 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Does anyone else notice that almost all Third World countries have very conservative societies whereas almost all First world countries tend to have societies that are liberal?

The statistics are stunning. It seems like conservatism in a society is directly proportional with a low standard of living whereas the opposite is true for liberalism. The more conservative a society, the more likely it is to be plagued with things like: crime, poverty, illiteracy, inequality, political instability etc. On the other hand, the more liberal a society the more likely it is to be blessed with low crime rates, high levels of education, wealth, political stability, and less inequality among its citizens.

In fact if you study the Human Development Index (HDI) of countries around the world, you'll see that the most liberal countries - Norway, Sweden, Canada - consistently have the highest development rankings. On the other hand countries with the most conservative societies e.g. Pakistan, Nigeria, Uganda - consistently have the lowest development rankings.

It would be fair to make the deduction that a prerequisite of been a Third World country is having a conservative society and the a prerequisite of been considered a First World country is having a liberal society. Adding validity to my theory, even America which is considered to be fairly conservative among first world nations would be classed as wildly liberal among Third World Countries.

I know many conservatives will not be happy with this finding but the facts are there for all to see. Why do you think this pattern exists throughout the world?

You are painting a VERY skewed picture.

( May be it's the result of the lack of knowledge of the basic world history.) Because BOTH societies - of the Third world and First world alike were originally conservative, and the First world ( being as conservative as it was,) was already far more prosperous than the third world countries.

But if I can pinpoint at the major difference between these two today, and what makes the "first world" societies "liberal," whereas the third world countries "conservative," - it's the women's status in both respective societies.

Obviously there was something that the "Westerners" did different in this respect, for better or worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies