Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 01:00 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,740,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
You will hear comments like "join the conversation" with the new civility.
More likely, you'd hear statements like, "that comment is not allowed." Or "you can't read that book."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 01:04 PM

14,366 posts, read 9,745,710 times
Quote:
France has very little racism. The actress Brigitte Bardot was fined $15,000 for racist comments about Muslims.

Brigitte Bardot fined for racism - Europe - World - The Independent
France has very little racism?

The rising torrent of racist language and publicly expressed racist attitudes may be a sign less that racism is spreading, than that the boundaries of mainstream tolerance are changing. As in the U.S., France has seen an increase in provocative shock content in entertainment and commentary, whether for comic effect or political impact.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...574817,00.html

All your statement provides is proof that racism can be exploited for capitol gain by the nanny state:

In December 2006, the film star-turned-animal rights activist wrote a letter to France's then interior minister, current President Nicolas Sarkozy, arguing that Muslims should stun animals before slaughtering them during the Aid al-Kabir holiday. She outraged anti-racist groups by saying: "I've had enough of being led by the nose by this whole population which is destroying us, (and) destroying our country by imposing their ways."
...and that Bardot is beautiful and intelligent.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:08 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,845,719 times
It appears France has complete racial harmony. I have not seen any news stories of burning cars for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
France has very little racism?

The rising torrent of racist language and publicly expressed racist attitudes may be a sign less that racism is spreading, than that the boundaries of mainstream tolerance are changing. As in the U.S., France has seen an increase in provocative shock content in entertainment and commentary, whether for comic effect or political impact.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1574817,00.html

All your statement provides is proof that racism can be exploited for capitol gain by the nanny state:

In December 2006, the film star-turned-animal rights activist wrote a letter to France's then interior minister, current President Nicolas Sarkozy, arguing that Muslims should stun animals before slaughtering them during the Aid al-Kabir holiday. She outraged anti-racist groups by saying: "I've had enough of being led by the nose by this whole population which is destroying us, (and) destroying our country by imposing their ways."
...and that Bardot is beautiful and intelligent.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:11 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,517,904 times
Quote:
Censorship, if used properly, will make America more civil and friendly.

It may even end racism, and silence global warming critics.

Everything will be pleasant.
Yeah, obeying tyrants and kissin-up can sure bring peace. Pleasant, yeah! when we give-in to a bully then things get right nice, don't they?

What say we hand over our guns when we welcome censorship. Heck, we might even decide to take up residence in some "Re-Education" camps without having to be rounded up. I bet if we do so voluntarily that it might be right-nice.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:16 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,845,691 times
Works for me. Let's censor this thread out of existence.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:39 PM

7,432 posts, read 5,693,516 times
Quote:

Nice screen name.. You should have put more thought into that hoss.. ROTFLMAO!

Old 01-19-2012, 05:00 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,148,145 times
Quote:

you must be from europe, no real american would be in favor of limiting free speech.

guess I am 1 of those that you would seek to limit my free speech, as I do not believe in the global warming myth.

censorship will ultimately lead to war here in the USA. good luck with your civility.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:11 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,423,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
you must be from europe, no real american would be in favor of limiting free speech.

guess I am 1 of those that you would seek to limit my free speech, as I do not believe in the global warming myth.

censorship will ultimately lead to war here in the USA. good luck with your civility.
Unfortunately, there are plenty of people right here in the U.S. who are for censorship. The milder form of censorship, skewing stories and making up "facts", happens all the time in the U.S. media. Even researchers often bias their results towards the results their grants will pay for. Aren't those all technically forms of censorship?

Old 01-19-2012, 06:28 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,063,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Unfortunately, there are plenty of people right here in the U.S. who are for censorship. The milder form of censorship, skewing stories and making up "facts", happens all the time in the U.S. media. Even researchers often bias their results towards the results their grants will pay for. Aren't those all technically forms of censorship?
So true; and not "everyone from Europe" supports censorship. Such generalizations!

Old 01-19-2012, 06:32 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,730,214 times
I'm not much of a fan of censorship. I say let people say and do what they want to and let people decide for themselves what they want to view or listen to. Basically, let people censor things for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies