Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2012, 07:46 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
The right to do what? Uphold the law? Yes.
What law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 07:50 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
The old "abide by the constitution" BS Atheists throw around is crap. They just want things done their way and the hell with the rest of the people. No wonder they are the most hated group in this country. I see Jewish, Islam, and other stuff all of the time and it does not offend me, but the atheists seem to be offended by anything Christian. One person has to upset the apple cart,
That applies to religious zealots perfectly. What exactly is wrong with the idea of religion being a personal matter? I know, I know, collectivists hate the idea but we're talking about the US Constitution and the ingrained idea of a separation between religion and state.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:52 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Muslim nations... we ought to be like them. Great benchmark to support your agenda.
Maybe you should read the post to which I was responding.

For the record I don't think the mural belongs there either, I'm just arguing against the attitude of entitlement that this girl exhibits. "It offends me so it should be removed".

Old 01-19-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
What an extraordinary young woman at 16.
Give me a break hula, she probably came home, told her parents about this, and her atheist parents or parent started the chain of events.

She's more than likely a pawn.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:58 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Maybe you should read the post to which I was responding.

For the record I don't think the mural belongs there either, I'm just arguing against the attitude of entitlement that this girl exhibits. "It offends me so it should be removed".
Every person is entitled to that opinion. It is called free speech. If anything, you should be applauding a 16-year old for recognizing something, 80-year olds seem utterly clueless about.

Kudos to that young person. She has it right.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:07 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Default They have no right to threaten her

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Of course she had the right and people have the right to call her mean names.
her with rape and death. THAT is against the law, too.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Every person is entitled to that opinion. It is called free speech. If anything, you should be applauding a 16-year old for recognizing something, 80-year olds seem utterly clueless about.

Kudos to that young person. She has it right.
This mural was a gift to the school. The school displayed it because it is inspiring. There is no evidence that this is a form of government attempting to establish a religion, in fact the origin of the mural proves without a shadow of a doubt that it is not. She had it wrong and the judge had it wrong.

However the school should remove it in order to avoid a hallway lined with the inevitable insulting atheist excrement.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:38 AM

Default Oh, not just Athiests

Quote:
This mural was a gift to the school. The school displayed it because it is inspiring. There is no evidence that this is a form of government attempting to establish a religion, in fact the origin of the mural proves without a shadow of a doubt that it is not. She had it wrong and the judge had it wrong.

However the school should remove it in order to avoid a hallway lined with the inevitable insulting atheist excrement.
There was a homeroom teacher at my daughter's public school who asked her class to stand and say a SILENT PRAYER at the beginning of the day. One kid walked out. Then all but 3 in the class followed him. The 3 kids that stayed (including my daughter) SAT in their seats just looking at this teacher. The other kids went straight to the Principal's office and told him what had happened.

All these kids's were ATHIESTS? Nope, in fact most were Christians with some Jews, but they were very AWARE kids who knew this was not allowed in PUBLIC SCHOOLS. Remember, this teacher did not ask them to pray to a SPECIFIC God, but she did say STAND AND PRAY.

Word quickly spread to all the parents. The school's phones were going off the hook with parents complaining about the TEACHER. "If I wanted my kid to pray in school, I would send him to a PAROCHIAL school of MY choice", my neighbor said. I felt the same way.

The teacher was reprimanded and ordered no more SILENT PRAYING. She left the school at the end of the year. Maybe she went to a PAROCHIAL school where she could lead prayers ALL DAY.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:41 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:

So instead students have to deal with Christian excrement?

I'm a Jew. Asking G-d for the school to "win at sports" is offensive in of itself. Having a prayer of any sort in a public school is unnecessary and out of line. I would have done the same as that little girl (and often did in my own high school).

Old 01-19-2012, 08:58 AM

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
So instead students have to deal with Christian excrement?

I'm a Jew. Asking G-d for the school to "win at sports" is offensive in of itself. Having a prayer of any sort in a public school is unnecessary and out of line. I would have done the same as that little girl (and often did in my own high school).
I also worked in a public school in NY about 30 miles from Ground Zero. Many in that school knew people who died and were survivors of that day. On the anniversary of 9/11, the Principal would come on over the PA, ask everyone to be silent to REMEMBER the victims and families. He did NOT say PRAY for them. If you wanted to pray to YOURSELF, fine. If you wanted to just THINK about that day, fine. If you wanted to think about your LUNCH, fine. It was totally up to you what you wanted to do.

I also would have supported that girl, as I did my own daughter for sitting and not silent PRAYING.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies