Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2012, 02:10 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
What's even funnier--it WAS going through republican's land. We don't have many democrats out here. They fought to move it to a safer area. Funny how the R's in the rest of the country can't seem to grasp that. Political party doesn't mean much when it's your water they're threatening.
Did you actually bother to read what I wrote? Apparently not. I live in an area where lots of oil and gas pipelines exist which have the potential to break and pollute the area. And this is in a BLUE state! But don't let facts stop you in believing something. I don't have the philosophy that we have to stop all progress just because of some remote problem. We have to look at things with a balance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 02:12 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,865 times
Quote:
it would be pretty hard for Obama to delay again. If he does at that point, then you have a legitimate issue, but not until then.
With all do respect, Obama won't get the chance to delay again. If he's re-elected, I highly doubt that it'll get to that point, because it wouldn't surprise me one bit if TransCanada doesn't pull the project completely off the table. They won't keep chasing good money after bad too much longer. Because you and I both know that even if NE were to say yes to the project there will be another group of protester's just waiting to take their place.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:14 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,202,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
Google "Obama cancels keystone pipeline" to keep you up with current events. Your welcome. indeed.
My family's lived in Nebraska for five generations, and my family's ranch land would have been impacted by the initial route, although we don't have property threatened by eminent domain. I think I'm on top of it, no matter how a bunch of news articles written by radical right wingers OUTSIDE OF NEBRASKA with an agenda want to spin it. By the way--I'm a republican too.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
[quote=jkbatca;22617738]
Quote:
You do understand that there are millions of miles of pipelines all across the United States already built, don't you?
No, I'm shocked to hear that!
Quote:
Including areas with high seismic activity?
Again, shocking. Please quit insulting my intelligence.

Quote:
So just because one line may break, we cannot build any pipeline anymore?
Where did I say that?

Quote:
Even though we do have the technology to mitigate any leakage?
Any leakage? (Now it's my turn to ask the questions!) Just ask the people on the Gulf Coast about that whopper.

Quote:
Do you even understand how a pipeline across open land does not equal some hole drilled deep under the ocean in design?
No, I'm just a dumb nurse! Tell me! Please!!!

Quote:
If you say yes we can build a pipeline, then you explain to me exactly what criteria do we allow building a pipeline?
I'm not an engineer. One criteria, however, should be to protect the Ogallala Aquifer.

Quote:
For other posters, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Obama cancel the deal, not just say we'll look into correcting the problems with it?
I'm not another poster, I'm the same one, but the answer is "no".

Quote:
If Obama did not cancel the pipeline, URL="http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/obama-keystone-oil-pipeline-robert-redford-283016"]someone ought to tell this person about it[/url]. Otherwise, this is how I perceive the story:

Builder: We want to put in a pipeline
Obama: Cant because it goes through sensitive environmental areas
Builder: OK we'll re-route
Majority of Americans: Sounds good to me
Obama: We'll look into it after the election
Congress: No you wont, decide to go ahead or not now
Obama: Fine, I'll cancel the deal instead

Doesn't sound like a leader to me...
Aren't you clever.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
You forgot to mention the February 21st deadline imposed on him by your do nothing congress.
(a) did you read the line about Congress?
(b) If Obama wasn't disingenuous, he would have at least put some conditional approval to let all investing parties know that they can start and safely put their money into the project. He did not do that.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:18 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
You obviously haven't followed any of this. Again--Nebraska isn't saying don't build the pipe--just that the initial route is in a place where a spill would be very dangerous. They support building the line if the route is moved to a safer area. They have to complete a plan and an environmental impact statement for the new route before the line can be approved by anyone. I don't see anything out of the Obama administration that says they'll wait until after the election. He said he'd wait until after the review had been completed before making a decision. If the plan is completed and approved by Nebraska, and he still doesn't approve it, then you have an issue.
Of course he didn't give that as the reason, but we all know it is;

Keystone XL pipeline decision delayed until after 2012 election - Los Angeles Times

Quote:
Reporting from Washington — The Obama administration put off until after the 2012 election a politically charged decision on whether to approve the controversial Keystone XL oil pipeline, easing one problem for President Obama but opening another with the missed opportunity to boost job growth.

With the State Department announcement Thursday that it would study alternate routes for the $7-billion pipeline, the administration sought to calm the environmentalist movement that has mobilized against the proposal — no small matter for Obama given activists' threats that they might abandon his reelection campaign.
His environmental wacko supporters threatened him.

THREE years under study, a small segment needs to be rerouted....so START the initial phases NOW, but approve the project.

But NO, jobs are NOT a priority of this president.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:19 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,202,931 times
Quote:
Did you actually bother to read what I wrote? Apparently not. I live in an area where lots of oil and gas pipelines exist which have the potential to break and pollute the area. And this is in a BLUE state! But don't let facts stop you in believing something. I don't have the philosophy that we have to stop all progress just because of some remote problem. We have to look at things with a balance.
Honestly--I posted before I'd even seen yours--it was a coincidence that we were both talking about it being funny. Still--I really don't care what you do in California--the gas lines you run benefit the people who live there, so you take that risk and make that choice. Nebraska gets zero benefit from the pipeline, except that the construction workers will stay in local hotels and eat at local restaurants while they work for the few months that they're here. Why should we bend over backwards to allow them to build a line in an area that's not safe? The state is fine with the line if they move it to a safer area. Nebraska has been trying to convince Trans Canada of that for years, so they have no one to blame but themselves for the delay, since the state had to basically force them to change the route. If they would have listened at the beginning, they'd be building now.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No, I'm just a dumb nurse! Tell me! Please!!!
Then why did you say this?

Quote:
I cannot fathom why, after the gulf oil leak, anyone would want to threaten the water supply. The technology is not infallible.
You are equating the technologies here. I'm merely pointing out the fallacy here.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Then why did you say this?

You are equating the technologies here.
1. You obviously don't understand sarcasm, even with the sarcasm icon.

2. It is obvious to any observer with an IQ of room temp or greater that technology did fail in the Gulf.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Honestly--I posted before I'd even seen yours--it was a coincidence that we were both talking about it being funny. Still--I really don't care what you do in California--the gas lines you run benefit the people who live there, so you take that risk and make that choice. Nebraska gets zero benefit from the pipeline, except that the construction workers will stay in local hotels and eat at local restaurants while they work for the few months that they're here. Why should we bend over backwards to allow them to build a line in an area that's not safe? The state is fine with the line if they move it to a safer area. Nebraska has been trying to convince Trans Canada of that for years, so they have no one to blame but themselves for the delay, since the state had to basically force them to change the route. If they would have listened at the beginning, they'd be building now.
Hey if the majority of Nebraska residents truly do not want the pipeline in their state, fine I'm OK with that. I just don't equate a couple random posts on the Internet with a true feeling of the majority of the Nebraska population. And unfortunately, I cannot determine what the majority of Nebraska truly wants from where I sit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies