Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 11:01 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,014,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I think the tea party will be the undoing of the GOP's presidential aspirations. This race might be the karma for the 2004 race. In that race, the Democrats were salivating at the chance of facing a very weak GWB incumbency, but were left to trot out their very uninspiring and bumbling candidate, John Kerry. I think that's what is going to happen to the GOP this year. They're licking their chops to get a political swing at a very vulnerably incumbent right now, but they're going to be left with a candidate (most likely Mitt Romney) who doesn't inspire them.

Newt Gingrich, should he somehow miraculously turn this thing around, wouldn't be any more inspiring. Although he might be able to convince more of the red meat conservatives of his core credentials, I think he would quickly turn off a lot of moderate voters with his tendency to open his mouth and launch blistering attacks on people. He would be a bitterly divisive figure, which would not work to the GOP's advantage. He would motivate care-for-nothing liberals to get off their duffs and vote against him.
This crop of candidates doesn't need any help from the Tea Party to derail the Republican chances to win the White House.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 11:22 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,211,195 times
Quote:
I think the tea party will be the undoing of the GOP's presidential aspirations. This race might be the karma for the 2004 race. In that race, the Democrats were salivating at the chance of facing a very weak GWB incumbency, but were left to trot out their very uninspiring and bumbling candidate, John Kerry. I think that's what is going to happen to the GOP this year. They're licking their chops to get a political swing at a very vulnerably incumbent right now, but they're going to be left with a candidate (most likely Mitt Romney) who doesn't inspire them.

Newt Gingrich, should he somehow miraculously turn this thing around, wouldn't be any more inspiring. Although he might be able to convince more of the red meat conservatives of his core credentials, I think he would quickly turn off a lot of moderate voters with his tendency to open his mouth and launch blistering attacks on people. He would be a bitterly divisive figure, which would not work to the GOP's advantage. He would motivate care-for-nothing liberals to get off their duffs and vote against him.
Good points...

I honestly think the GOP doesn't want to put up a serious good candidate because of the coming implosion due to our countries unsustainable debt levels. It is going to pop on the next presidential term.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:02 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Cherokee Tribune - Tea party strength reflects growing dissatisfaction with major parties

» Is The Tea Party Really Diminishing?

Then you have these polls that say, otherwise. It's all in who you want to listen to. Libs would love for the Tea Party to fall apart.
There is a strong possibility that what you say is too true. I think that ABC is the bunch that selected the time to charge at Newt in SC and allowed him to rip the MSM to which the cheering was very strong.

If ABC was involved in this poll, I bet the two left leaning groups were selective as to who they polled.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:11 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:

Do you know that the Iowa caucuses have been declared a tie between Romney and Santorum, first declared 8 votes behind? Do you know that Gingrich is ahead of Romney in SC?

Will there be Lincoln-Douglas type debates between Obama and Gingrich, if he does win this thing? Well, of course not as Obama knows he couldn't come out of something like that ahead. The debates will be just more of what we have been hearing so far and it is the MSM plus Fox that runs them with their silly questions. Yes Obama has a chance in them just as he has none at all in the first kind I mentioned. I do think that Gingrich has done a great job of hitting back at the MSM question askers and that Obama would impress nobody with all his ahs, but-buts, and other forms of stalling to think. Newt wins even those foolish "debates" with Obama.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:11 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Good points...

I honestly think the GOP doesn't want to put up a serious good candidate because of the coming implosion due to our countries unsustainable debt levels. It is going to pop on the next presidential term.
Yes sir. That was true in 2008. We saw that when they presented two totally unelectable candidates; one too old and the other a loose cannon. Things still haven't straighten out because of the effects of the Bush administration (and to a degree Obama's administration as well). Maybe both parties will, with their monumental screw-ups, be so afraid of the WH they'll throw the 2016 elections to a third party.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:09 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,906 times
Quote:
Cherokee Tribune - Tea party strength reflects growing dissatisfaction with major parties

Then you have these polls that say, otherwise. It's all in who you want to listen to. Libs would love for the Tea Party to fall apart .
The first article is from 2010

Old 01-20-2012, 02:10 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,079,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Good points...

I have said this all along since they put forth Palin...they want to control the purse strings and make the laws,but they want a Dem as a figurehead to be remembered when the crap REALLY hits the fan.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:06 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:

Then you have these polls that say, otherwise. It's all in who you want to listen to. Libs would love for the Tea Party to fall apart.
The reason both the Democratic and Republican establishment elites don't like the Tea party movement, is because the movement is trying to return power and control back into the hands of the people. These political elites love the looming power and authority big government gives them. They like the power to play crony capitalist with billions of taxpayer dollars, gazing out upon the huddled masses, and giving the up or down thumb, spelling the success or doom, and being able to decide the fate of anyone that gets in their way, sort of like ancient Romans at the Parthenon.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:09 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
If half the people in the country oppose the TEA party, and half the people in the country pay no income taxes...just how much overlap is there between these two groups?

I can understand deadbeats not supporting a movement that wants the productive class to pay less in taxes, and to reduce government spending and dependency.
Well...half of that 50% are retirees living on a fixed income. Do you think they're all liberal democrats who hate the tea party?

Old 01-20-2012, 03:19 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
The reason both the Democratic and Republican establishment elites don't like the Tea party movement, is because the movement is trying to return power and control back into the hands of the people. These political elites love the looming power and authority big government gives them. They like the power to play crony capitalist with billions of taxpayer dollars, gazing out upon the huddled masses, and giving the up or down thumb, spelling the success or doom, and being able to decide the fate of anyone that gets in their way, sort of like ancient Romans at the Parthenon.
Ok...and that explains why you guys jumped into bed with the Koch brothers exactly how? They, along with GOP support and corporate PAC money funded every candidate that you ran--you guys couldn't have won a dog catcher race without it. That's about as crony capitalist as it gets. If you were serious about that issue, you'd be pushing to get corporations out of funding elections.

I was very sympathetic to the early message of the tea party--I think we need to cut spending in a common sense way--but you lost me when it turned into a birther rant, when you went on an absolutely no new taxes ever, under any situation rant, and when you drifted into becoming really radical on social conservative issues. There are a lot of more moderate republicans who supported you when your message was simply fiscal reform, but they don't support you any more. Most of us just want you to go away. It's a pity, because a reasonable voice for fiscal responsiblity is really needed right now. Too bad you guys couldn't deliver the goods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies